MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The full series, 6 episodes.

FLCL

Content warnings... some violence, some perviness, and lots of random weird things...

Subbed and dubbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/flcl
Subbed and dubbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/flcl/videos
Subbed on Youtube for free- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELvKWMw8y0OLE

FLCL is an OVA that has had a lot said about it, and I thought it'd be a great choice because if it was made today, it would no doubt be done as a premium animation series, like tri.

I'm going to say very little, this is a short show, it's super dense with material, and it's something you really need to experience yourself.

Expect action, comedy, and nearly everything you can think of.

Animation fans will especially like taking a peek at what happens in anime when things get a larger budget than is standard. FLCL not only had the budget of a full series despite being much shorter, Gainax did lots of experimentation while animating it.

While not relevant to our release, the original Japanese DVDs were even subtitled in English (I want to say episodes 2 thru 6 were and 1 wasn't.)

The series is short, but it's one of the most dense series as far as actual content goes that I can think of (especially when you consider it only has 6 episodes.) I think this is one everyone will enjoy. And I wouldn't be shocked if this level of denseness shows up in tri, so it might be a good example of the level of depth we can expect.

As for connections to Digimon, on the Japanese it appears to have very few, but if you listen to the dub (and FLCL has an utterly fantastic dub) you will hear a LOT of familiar voices from the entire range of Digimon's dubbed history, I'll skip over saying who, but if you notice anyone, feel free to point it out in comments.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 26- Trigun
Leadup to Tri Week 27- Tenchi Universe
Leadup to Tri Week 28- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Leadup to Tri Week 29- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Leadup to Tri Week 30- Nyan Koi!
Leadup to Tri Week 31- The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 32- Ai Yori Aoshi
Leadup to Tri Week 33- Tokyo Ravens
Leadup to Tri Week 34- Reboot
Leadup to Tri Week 35- Star Driver

Here's an embed of the first episode subtitled.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If we've already seen this can we talk about it?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
FLCL is short enough that feel free to spoil away. It's 6 episodes and if someone wants to they can watch it over one night before they scroll down past this post to where spoilers were.

So you know, past this post, spoiler warning for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok then.

I liked this show. It was 6 episodes of crazy maybe about growing up and robots and great music! Really. The Pillows, did the soundtrack and it's really just the best. If you never saw four of the big Gainax shows, (this, TTGL, Eva, and PaSwG) then start with this. (then go to EVA, Gurren Lagann, and Panty & Stocking). It also has a manga. It's slightly different.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished it tonight. This show is somewhat difficult to put into words. The plot, at least as anime plots go, isn't that weird, yet somehow it managed to be the weirdest anime I've seen yet. I feel like a lot of the jokes went over my head, and they often came too fast for me to take them in properly, as in the incomprehensible dinner scene in the first episode. But the show was so entertaining somehow that I didn't really mind how confusing it could be. It had a sensibility to it different from other anime we've watched in the leadup, and I liked it very well.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't have a proper internet connection at the moment, but I will definitely watch this one when I can. I always like watching "experiments", even if I quit after one episode.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Purely coincidental timing.

The original FLCL is often attributed purely to Gainax, but it was actually a co-production between Gainax and Production IG.

Today Production IG announced they've purchased any rights they didn't own for FLCL and plan on doing a new anime and other things.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok, how will that even work? Did it have a good end and everything? I'm sure everyone is asking that. ...And are The Pillows still together and could they still do the music if this is true.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have watched a bit of FLCL a few times in the past but this is the first time I've actually finished it (it feels weird to say this, as it this sounds more like a statement to make about a really long anime and not something that only has 6 episodes) I think the part that made me stop watching it back then was always the soundtrack, the seemingly never ending punk rock that was playing on almost on every occassion (or maybe it just seemed liek so often because it annoyed me every time) just not my style of music but in the end I feel good about being able to ignore it and powering through it anyway. Worth watching to be sure. the animation was definitely the highlight for me. It definitely seems experimental in the way of if you actually look at the overall premise of the entire plot that get clearer in the last episodes looking back you really would not expect it to be executed with this kind of focus and surprisingly limited scope of the main story.
As for the rest of the contents... it's one of those weird symbolically charged stories that could be interpreted as god knows what (I'm sure multiple papers haven written about it) but then all of those supposed metaphors get so over the top and result in such ridicolous situations and solutions that they lose most if not all applicability to their source.

One thing is sure though, Naota manages to generate sexual tension with everyone and everything to the point of hilarity.
Also I kinda want that firestarter mobile game it actually seems like a really neat concept.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Haven't heard someone say they didn't like the music but yeah. Naota and being in puberty with his brother's old girlfriend always on him then the hot mysterious girl always with him and then there's Ninamori. But we really could go on and on. It is Gainax after all.