MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Half of the series, 13 episodes.

Star Driver

Some generic content warnings but nothing major as I recall.

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/star-driver

Star Driver is quite good. It almost feels like it was supposed to be a new generation Gundam or something.

Star Driver largely works because it moves between silly every day stuff, drama, and mech action smoothly in ways that feel separated but connected. Part of the way this works is it sets down it's rules for the mecha very clearly, and that rule perhaps lends the series a unique feel. Because mechs can't just 'show up' and they show up in an isolated place so battled take on a big more of a singular battle feel, with anything else around at the time being important to the plot rather than just generic collateral damage that could happen.

Despite feeling like this was the beginning of something new that would keep coming back, Star Driver had it's original series, and a film that retold much of the elements (with some new) and largely faded away.

I think because of it's unique look and feel it'll remind a lot of you about Digimon and I think you'll get a kick out of it.

As for Digimon connections, just a couple. Yoshiyuki Ito did a ton on Star Driver: Character designer, chief animation director, directing an episode, but years ago he did key animation for Digimon movies 3 and 5. And one of the primary villains is voiced by Wizardmon himself.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 26- Trigun
Leadup to Tri Week 27- Tenchi Universe
Leadup to Tri Week 28- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Leadup to Tri Week 29- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
Leadup to Tri Week 30- Nyan Koi!
Leadup to Tri Week 31- The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 32- Ai Yori Aoshi
Leadup to Tri Week 33- Tokyo Ravens
Leadup to Tri Week 34- Reboot

Here's the first intro.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just finished the first episode.

As far as animation, ost and art goes, it all seems above average. I hope it's not just because of the "pilot" episode.

I was never a fan of mecha genre, but since you said that it was more about the characters' life than giant robot fighting, I checked it and I'm glad I did. Both the plot and the settings appeal to me. I don't really get the whole cosmic stuff, nor what
that weird dimension is
, but I can stand that and still enjoy the series.

And yes, it has some nostalgic touch to it... I don't know how to describe it. Maybe it's just because they're in high school, or because the main char is a goofy,... Who knows. It will take me a while to finish it, but I'll watch the whole thing.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, I'm not the only one watching this week! I watched through the first four episodes tonight. So far the show is... interesting. It has a somewhat distinct style to it. I can't really give a full-fledged opinion yet, but I'm sure I'll have more to say by the end of the week.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished the series last night. It was pretty good. As with a few of the past anime, the first episode was a little confusing, but I enjoyed things once I figured out what was going on. I can't say that the show reminded me of Digimon much; they don't seem to have much in common. What it did remind me of a little bit in terms of episode structure was Power Rangers (I watched the original show when I was little): something going on in the protagonists' lives, interrupted by conflict with an agent of the enemy organization, culminating in a "Megazord battle" between Cybodies (with the protagonist overcoming particularly difficult opponents with the convenient introduction of new powers). Speaking of the enemy organization, I couldn't get over their hilarious costumes. It was like a Digimon Kaiser Pride Parade. The Cybodies were a somewhat interesting concept. I particularly liked that their names were inspired by Hebrew letters, which I don't believe I've come across before in pop culture.

I take it that the series was complete, and not waiting on a second season when it ended? Despite the story (and the problem of the Cybodies) being resolved, it did seem to me to leave a few loose ends. Among other things, I expected to learn more about the drama club's president and to see more of the guy with the beard and monocle (was he the green-haired girl's husband?). I'll have to watch the movie sometime.