Leadup to Tri Week 29- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Half the series, 13 episodes, although I think most people will want to watch it all.

Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars (it had a different title in Japan, but this is good enough for our purposes.)

I don't remember much of anything here being objectionable to be honest.

Dubbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/shingu-secret-of-the-stellar-wars
Dubbed on Youtube for free- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELYJy7p9atDCk

No free subbed copy out there, so some of you will have to.... watch a dub (dun dun dunnn.)

Shingu didn't make much in the way of waves when it came out even though it has an interesting (but slow moving) story along with at times utterly gorgeous animation.

I found the characters and story in this series particularly good when I first watched it. It goes to great effort to explain an actual history to the things that happen, and I always appreciated how the show answers all of it's own questions. Well... almost all of them.. It answers nearly everything, except something most people will forget about... and then it winks at you regarding it.

I can also appreciate a series that clearly isn't in a rush, and likes to show it's characters doing their everyday things, even when bad things are coming...

A few Digimon connections this time- The art director did key animation for Digimon movie 4. Cast wise there aren't a lot of connections, but a few that people will no doubt like. The main character's little sister is voiced by Rie Kugimiya who played Ikuto in Savers. The main female lead is played by Romi Paku/Park who as most people know played Ken in Zero-Two. On the English side only one real connection. Sam Regal who played Kudamon in Data Squad has a role in the dub, but more interestingly he co-directed the dub and also worked on the script adaption.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan
Leadup to Tri Week 26- Trigun
Leadup to Tri Week 27- Tenchi Universe
Leadup to Tri Week 28- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

First episode dubbed is embedded below.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished the series tonight. Its laid-back atmosphere was certainly noteworthy. I'm not sure if it was intended to be one, but my favorite running joke was how the protagonist would essentially say, "We should probably be worried about this stuff, but, meh." The unusual happenings in the show often took a back seat to the daily lives of the characters, and even the battle scenes seemed rather subdued. Still, I liked the show and its characters rather well.

By the way, who was behind
the Sanadon attacks and the battle on the beach near the end? Was it Jiltosh? If so, what was he looking to accomplish?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You know... I honestly don't recall...