MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Half of the series, 13 episodes.

Trigun

There's violence, but content warnings.... violence I guess? I don't remember it being very violent overall.

Subbed and Dubbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/trigun
Subbed and Dubbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/trigun/videos/episodes
Subbed and Youtube for free- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELtogHMxiUX58

Trigun is a great show.

Trigun is one of those shows that mixes action, comedy, and even some drama in a superb way. It seems to especially resonate with those of us in North America since the series has it's genesis in old Wild West tales and even a bit of American/European style science fiction mixed in.

The show is also notable in that the people behind it largely admit they were able to make the movie years later because of American sales and interest in the show.

This is one I feel like anyone who watches it from WtW will probably enjoy.

And the dub is one of the most fun dubs of the era, with a lot of familiar voices...

As for Digimon connections... boy howdy... only gonna list off a few people..

On the Japanese side, one of the key animators for movie 3 directed Trigun. You'll hear Wisemon's actor play Wolfwood. And some other bit parts will sound familiar.

On the English side, the connections just go nuts. You'll hear Dorothy Fahn, who dubbed to many characters to list (most would think of Tai's Mom, Lilymon, or Lalamon first though.) Joshua Seth shows up in an episode as the young version of someone... Bridget Hoffman (Jeri in Tamers and Patamon in Frontier, among many others) plays someone very important who doesn't show up a lot... and of course, one of the bigger ones, Jeff Nimoy plays Wolfwood throughout the series. Of course, the dub was done in Los Angeles in 'roughly' the same timeframe as Digimon's dub, so you will hear many more familiar voices.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai
Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan

Here's the OP

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A great anime, indeed. I was told to read the manga, but this one was so good that I didn't want to underrate it.

The characters are very interesting. The goofy Vash always made me laugh. The animation and art style are very appealing, with that 90s look that I'm always looking for in anime. And the plot... I wish it would stick to the "wandering through the desert, destroying things" part forever, but when it starts to get somewhere you get more and more caught into it.

I also recommend the film. I don't know if it has the same cast, but definitely a good one. I think I'm going to rewatch that one tonight :D

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know if it has the same cast, but definitely a good one.
The Japanese cast for the movie is the same for the primary four.

The English cast keeps Bosch as Vash, but everyone else got replaced. Interestingly, Nimoy's replacement for Wolfwood in the film was also someone who used to work for Saban, Brad Hawkins (Ryan in VR Troopers and Trey in Power Rangers Zeo.)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Trigun is awesome. It's just fun and with a lot of heart. It aired on Adult Swim who much later during Toonami movie month, aired the movie. I just like the series.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I watched this one a year ago on a friend's recommendation, in addition to the movie and the first manga. It was both more and less than what I expected, and it's a fun series. I can agree that almost anyone from WtW would enjoy it.

I didn't pay attention to the dub VAs (I never do, haha, don't kill me), but I did enjoy it enough that I actually alternated sub and dub for almost every episode.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, now that the leadup is over I've decided to go back and do some of the stuff I outright missed, and watch the sequels and spinoffs of series that I did watch. So I went ahead and watched this whole series in a rather leisurely manner over the course of more than a week. Tonight I got around to watching the movie, and so now I'm done and it's time to post in this thread.

The show was somewhat different from what I expected. I actually saw part of an episode on Adult Swim when I was in 8th grade (#9, "Murder Machine"), but didn't really recall much about it. The characterization of Vash surprised me a little, since I wasn't expecting him to be quite such a goofball, and didn't expect him to have his rule about not killing anyone. In retrospect, the latter thing really isn't all that surprising - most protagonists try to avoid killing if at all possible - it was just a much bigger part of the series than it is in other shows. At times I shared the other characters' exasperation with Vash's insistence on the point, but by the end of the series I had realized how much it contributed to his unique character. There remained some ambiguity, too, about whether or not Vash's refusal to kill was the soundest policy, even from a moral standpoint, and I found that interesting.

On the whole I much enjoyed the series. It had a rather unique feel to it, and the comedy in the first half and the drama in the latter half were handled with equal effectiveness.

Last edited: