Leadup to Tri Week 25- Shin Chan

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
13 episodes, the first part of season 1.

Shin Chan!

Various general content warnings. Thinking of it as you would Family Guy or South Park might be best.

Dubbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/shin-chan
Dubbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/shin-chan/videos/episodes

After Afro Samurai decided to just go with something quirky, stupid, and fun.

Funimation took the childhood favorite Crayon Shin Chan and had punch up writers rewrite it to air on Adult Swim. The end result is rather amusing and weird.

Episodes have been shoved, cut, reformed, and made to work as a strange modern comedy aimed at teens, adults, and (likely stoned) college students. It actually lasted a decent period in this format, certainly longer than a straight dub would have worked (which likely wouldn't have worked for a single episode.)

It'll be fun to watch.

The show has been running a bit to long in Japan for me to dig through everything and say what Digimon connections it has, but it does have some. As for on the American side... it gets more complicated there... a few Funi actors do lots of LA work, so have been in both this and some of the more modern Digimon dubs... but Shin Chan gets quirky... It had some of it dubbed by Vitello, using an LA area cast, but only ever aired in the UK market. And later was dubbed by phuuz, also with DIFFERENT LA area actors, which is even more complicated... so yeah, Digimon connections pop up in both versions (even though out of the Japanese version, and 3 dubs, we only have easy access to Funimation's dub.)

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess
Leadup To Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai

Here's the title card and ending credits.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, this show is hilarious. We've had it dubbed in Spain since I was 15, I think. Not much of a plot, but you laugh a lot.

Also, if someone's curious, the films are very interesting. While their main target are children, adults will find a few gags directed to them.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh I do like this show. Real shame it didn't last longer. But it's just so funny and the original wasn't too bad either. I saw a movie once. Great that it keeps going after the tragic incident that happened to the creator.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Real shame it didn't last longer.
Hm? I thought it was still running? Well, even if it isn't, I don't think this is a short one.

Nevermind, I've seen that it was canceled in 2010. Still, an anime that lasted 20 years and produced over 800 episodes is not short at all. Unless you mean the little kid: he's a flea. But boy, does he harrass girls... xD

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Real shame it didn't last longer.
Hm? I thought it was still running? Well, even if it isn't, I don't think this is a short one.

Nevermind, I've seen that it was canceled in 2010. Still, an anime that lasted 20 years and produced over 800 episodes is not short at all. Unless you mean the little kid: he's a flea. But boy, does he harrass girls... xD
The anime is still going, and the manga restarted with a new team with a slightly changed title after the creator died.

Usui fell off a cliff while climbing a mountain.

The manga's changed title simply added 'New' before the title, and the current creators are labeled as Team UY (UY being Usui's initials.)

Also be aware, the English version is in no way aimed at kids like the Japanese version and many dubs are. English dub is purely done for older people.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also be aware, the English version is in no way aimed at kids like the Japanese version and many dubs are. English dub is purely done for older people.
I'll give the English dub a try, then. Although I'll add that if I ever have kids, I wouldn't let them watch this. It's quite inappropiate for small children. Maybe 12-14 years old, but in no way younger.

And you can make yourself an idea of Shinchan's echo in the media when I tell you that Usui's death made it to the news here :p

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry, I meant the dub. I really liked it and was nice to have an anime that's funny and not bad on Adult Swim.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry, I meant the dub. I really liked it and was nice to have an anime that's funny and not bad on Adult Swim.
3 seasons of 26 episode isn't a bad run.

Especially when you consider due to licensing issues (at least as I recall it didn't) season 3 never even aired on TV (which is likely what killed Funimation doing it any further.)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True. And I did see some episodes on Funi's Youtube channel. Same way I saw the 3rd part of Tenchi Muyo. But really, it's a fun show that could have gone on longer here. But oh well. It's Adult Swim.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here in India, it airs on a kids' channel called Hungama TV, with *some* censorship, aiming it basically at kids.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wasn't able to finish the allotted episodes, since my computer had some major problems for over a week (causing me to miss Trigun entirely), but I did manage to get the first 8 episodes in. My feelings on the series were mixed. The meeting of anime weirdness and Adult Swim's sensibilities was a little disconcerting, while the humor was hit or miss for me. There was a scattering of hilarious jokes, but there were frequent periods when the show was just lame.