Leadup to Tri Week 24- Afro Samurai

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
5 episodes and a movie this time...

We'll be watching... Afro Samurai and it's sequel Afro Samurai Resurrection.

Heavy violence warning (I assume sex and nudity also, although I honestly don't remember... been years since I saw it.)

Dubbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/afro-samurai (Resurrection will be listed under 'You May Also Like.)
Dubbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/afro-samurai/videos (Resurrection is listed under movies.)

Watch the 5 episodes first, then Resurrection.

Afro Samurai was a fun series based on a self published, little known, manga in Japan. Since it's rather short, I figured we should have the sequel movie in the lineup also.

It's heavily violent, but with fantastic animation, an interesting (if slightly light) story, which is perhaps most notable in that only an English dub was ever made, with Samuel L. Jackson as the titular Afro Samurai.

A story about father and son? An excuse to watch crazy violence? A story about people wanting a piece of cloth? A bit of all of it to be honest.

Not much to say about this one beyond that as the content will speak for itself.

As for Digimon connections... a few interesting ones. The director for both did the key animation for... Digimon movie 3. You'll hear Steve Blum, Yuri Lowenthal, Dave Wittenberg and a few others through both the show and the movie.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion
Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess

No OP, but here is the original short pilot that eventually lead to the film being made.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been wanting to watch this for some time. Now I finally have an extra reason to do so. I'll start tomorrow evening :)

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The long trailing parts of the headband look like a serious liability.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The long trailing parts of the headband look like a serious liability.
But would the headbands seem as powerful and godly if they were short?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe not. But alright! Afro Samurai. What was this on? Spike? I saw it on TV and kind of liked it. Good show.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe not. But alright! Afro Samurai. What was this on? Spike? I saw it on TV and kind of liked it. Good show.
They showed an edited version on Spike before an Uncut version was available later on DVD.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've watched two episodes so far.

The best part of Afro Samurai: the art and the animation. It's very fluent, the battles are well depicted and the design is a mix between Eastern and Western styles. I like it a lot. And I find that the infinite-size hair, hairband and cigarette's smoke give it a lively touch to the scenes.

The regular part: the dub. Yes, I know it's Samuel L Jackson, but still... I don't think it really fits the animation. It's as if they had a very different pace. And sometimes the tone doesn't relate to what is happening.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Me too. So don't worry about it. Thanks for answering though.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished Resurrection tonight. On the whole Afro Samurai is an interesting series. It reminded me a little of Samurai Shamploo, which I'd seen before the leadup began. It definitely had a unique feel to it that distinguished it from the anime we've previously watched. Good action, interesting character design, with Ninja Ninja providing most of the humor. I felt stupid when I got to the credits and realized that Jackson voiced him as well (really should have seen it coming). That stinger at the end of Resurrection's credits was interesting. Had there been a third movie planned that never got made?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That stinger at the end of Resurrection's credits was interesting. Had there been a third movie planned that never got made?
That's a question that has multiple answers...

It appears the intension was to eventually do a third anime. Whether that's been fully shelved or not... well, it's not 100% clear last I checked.

The intention was to also do a live action film with Jackson (whether it would be related to the timeline given in the films or be a separate story was never clear) but that was cancelled after one of the heavy funding companies went bankrupt due to an unrelated matter.

There was also a 'meh' hack and slash game a number of years ago. It's recently been revealed a sequel is being made for next gen consoles, but with an indie team, where you will play as Kuma.

Whether that's a one off or suggests an active resurgence... no clue. But it's come up time and again that Jackson is willing to come back.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting. Well, if it ever does come out I'd be willing to watch it.

Something else I forgot to point out in my post: the Empty Seven apparently consists of only six members.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting. Well, if it ever does come out I'd be willing to watch it.

Something else I forgot to point out in my post: the Empty Seven apparently consists of only six members.
As I recall the first video game comments that spot 7 is reserved for god who guides them and sacrifices them in their goals (there was more to it than that in the game... but I always assumed the seventh would be revealed somehow in the 3rd Afro Samurai.)