Leadup to Tri Week 23- Ah! My Goddess

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
13 episodes this time...

The first half of the Ah! My Goddess TV show.

Some relatively light ecchi... but not much of anything objectionable to be honest.

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/ah-my-goddess

Another 'proto harem' that existed before what we consider to be harem existed(at least in the way we think of the genre.) At least as far as the manga goes (and it only ended recently.)

After an OVA series that did it's own thing and a film with an original story, they finally decided to do something akin to a manga adaption (which ironically starts with a bit of filler to help fill in some background details that serves the material quite well.)

The franchise has always amused me. Perhaps it's because it feels like a proto-Tenchi. Either you know the franchise or you don't. If you don't I'll leave some of the surprises just that...

It's worth mentioning it might even be considered an anti-harem at times. To the point some would consider it sickeningly sweet.

If you want to watch it all, it's worth mentioning... as I recall the season is actually 24 episodes and the last 2 episodes were post season OVAs released on DVD.

Does it have any Digimon connection? A few. As is tradition in more haremy shows than you could imagine, Masami Kikuchi plays the male lead, so you'll get to hear Joe, Neemon, Grani, and others. You'll also hear Andromon. Even MadLeomon from Xros. Among a few others...

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater
Leadup to Tri Week 21- Yuru Yuri
Leadup to Tri Week 22- Go-Lion

Here's the OP from Youtube.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've heard a lot of this show. Never watched it but I have heard it's a classic.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished the first season today. It's a likable show. While it did have some harem elements, I wouldn't really classify it as being in the harem genre, which is certainly not a bad thing. It remains clear throughout that Keiichi's only real love interest is Belldandy - for that matter, very few of the other characters even express a romantic interest in him. The series' comedic* and romantic elements are probably its strong points, whereas the non-romantic drama sometimes falls flat. Even in the instances where the antagonists actually pose a credible threat I didn't feel much tension. For the most part, though, the characters were pretty interesting, and it's a fun, serviceable series. I definitely plan to watch the second season eventually.

* Keiichi's seniors were probably the comedic highlight for me.

As a PS, I was a little amused at the end that a couple of the characters from the opening (in the shot with the various demons) are never seen in the show itself.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think one reason I've almost liked Ah! My Goddess. It's interesting... but also sort of relaxing to watch and/or read.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finished the 26 episodes. It was quite fun to watch.

Why did Hasegawa have to drive? Megumi seemed like she was in the club, and Belldandy was copilot for the club in the 2-person races.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why did Hasegawa have to drive? Megumi seemed like she was in the club, and Belldandy was copilot for the club in the 2-person races.
I... don't remember.

For those that enjoyed it, season 2 was released in the USA and streams at a few places (fun complicated story about the licensing of that...) The bits post season 2 haven't made their way here yet.