MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just 12 episodes this time.

Season 1 of Yuru Yuri.

Some ecchi content warning and the occasional blood splattering (but no real violence.)

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/yuruyuri
Subbed on Crunchyroll for free- http://www.crunchyroll.com/yuruyuri
Watch out Crunchyroll viewers, it likes to try and push you to season 2 first.

I just wanted to go with a fun slice of life wacky comedy this week. Yuru Yuri fits the bill and has some nice Digimon connections, including some with tri...

There really isn't much to explain here. Lots of comedy, some ecchi, and more comedy. It's a rather relaxing show that I imagine some people will watch many times in the background as they do other things.

Digimon connections are where this show is strong for us though, including a tri. connection I'm sure people will want to hear. One of the leads was the Female version of the lead in Cyber Sleuth and has mentioned in interviews that Digimon Adventure is her favorite anime. A secondary character is voiced by the same actress as Akari and Mervamon. There are also very bit parts that aren't fully worth mentioning... Perhaps most relevant to us though is that one of the main secondary leads, Himawari, is voiced by Suzuko Mimori, the new voice of Sora for tri. So when you see a character with blue hair, you might want to listen carefully and see what you think (personally I think she sounds great for Sora.)

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test
Leadup to Tri Week 20- Soul Eater

Couldn't find a clean version of the OP on Youtube, so here is a slightly inappropriate scene with Sora's actress (PS- Boing!)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yeah. This show. I've heard of it. Isn't it pretty much yuri? And it seems there was a Season 2.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So from the first two episodes I gather that this show is pretty much cute girls doing funny things with a not-so-subtle homoerotic subtext? I could try that I suppose.

There are some funny characters here... having a character who's distinguishing trait is basically not being special at all and not having a presence... it's quite interesting in a non-interesting way. I wouldn't have minded if she really was invisible and had boob missiles with weird sound effects, that could be the premise for an entire (somewhat different) series.

But wow, there sure is a lot of blood for such a relatively non violent show (only "relatively" because there's still a lot of slapping going on) and it really makes me wonder what exactly is going on with those nosebleeds in anime. I mean this trope is so universal that you might actually think that japanese people actually have some weird genetic condition that makes the hemmorhage when aroused. Which obviously isn't the case but it's still weird that it's always nosebleeds why can't they bleed through the eyes or the ears or from under the fingernails or somewhere else entirely?

I'm sure there are quite a few details to be talked about during those first episodes but a single thing stood out to me above all the others. At the end of the second episode when Ayano is sick in bed the others mention that "the school won't treat it as an absence if it's the flu". This instantly set off my alarm bells. Does that mean that the school would treat other illnesses like the cold Ayano has as an absence in the same way as if she was just skipping class? How would that make sense? Are they seriously implicitely (or even explicitely) pressuring children with an infectious disease like the common cold (which might not be as severe as the flu but is still a shitty experience which is even worse for a child) to come to school anyway despite probably feeling horrible and potentially infecting others? Add to this the fact that childen are especially susceptible to this kind of disease anyway and I just can't believe how stupid and irresponsible this kind of rule would be. Is this really something that is happening in japanese schools or is it just something the show made up either for fun or as foreshadowing that the world of yuru yuri is actually some kind of dystopian nightmare hiding behind the facade of happiness?

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've tried a few episodes in the past but the OP and ED turned me away. Not to mention I read the manga so there's not much I'm missing out. If the anime places that much more emphasis on yuri ecchi fanservice, it sounds a notch more embarrassing to watch than to read.

Meanwhile I've seen bleeding from the ears in other comedy (and horror) works when the character listens to something terrible. I'm not sure you can make blood shooting from eye sockets or fingernails comical at all, haha.

As per the flu, other anime/manga don't seem to have a problem with leave due to sickness. You see teachers announcing students' absences due to sickness, which even turns into developments such as classmates bringing homework over. IIRC my high school differentiated absences between excused and unexcused, and gave you a limited number of each for every school year/term. Catching the common cold or flu wasn't necessarily grounds for an excused absence, the excuse stemmed from a third party authority (parent or doctor's note). For myself, while I've had teachers suggest we stay at home if we're inflicted with a cough or cold, I never really paid heed--and I never noticed many students doing so either. Outside of a fever or severe disease, we attended class just fine.

Although I've actually asked myself a similar question regarding illnesses in Japan. Nearly every time an anime character gets a cold, they come up with flu-like symptoms, rather than simple runny or blocked noses. Makes me wonder if the translation's at fault or if there's something going on epidemiologically.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've finished the series (at least until the third season premieres). I enjoyed it pretty well. It was my first foray into the "yuri" genre, but as always with me romance and sexual stuff wasn't what mattered most. There does seem to be an abnormally large percentage of lesbian characters, but then anime has never catered to the laws of probability. For all we know, they could all be bisexual, but it's hard to tell when there are no male characters around. Anyway, the show was funny, and that's the important thing, though at times (particularly in the second season) the funniness was offset by how sorry I felt for poor Akari. Naturally, the occasional surreal or fantasy elements appealed to me, like with the first season's ninth episode and the way the second season played around with time.

Meanwhile I've seen bleeding from the ears in other comedy (and horror) works when the character listens to something terrible. I'm not sure you can make blood shooting from eye sockets or fingernails comical at all, haha.
Episode 10 is proof you can. lol