MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
14 episodes this time...

the first chunk of Soul Eater

Some violence, some blood, mild ecchi. Not really to much content wise to worry about here.

Subbed and dubbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/soul-eater
Subbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/soul-eater/videos/episodes
Subbed on Youtube for free- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELl52PjjPiC8I

Soul Eater will likely appeal to Digimon fans highly. Great story, fantastic characters, the mood can swap between fun and depressing, you have characters who turn into weapons, and it's a mix of action, drama, and comedy that skews kind of close to Digimon itself.

Rather than explaining the show itself in detail I'll paste a review I did of the first 13 episodes on DVD half a decade ago (although I'd say go into the show blind, it'll add to the fun)- http://www.fanboyreview.net/2010/02/04/soul-eater-part-1-early-lookreview/

Fantastic show, I think people will enjoy it. Very enjoyable dub also, worth a listen if you like a good English dub.

Plenty of Digimon connections... so will just go over some of the larger characters you might hear if you listen to closer (not to mention one of the writers worked on Adventure, Frontier and Savers):

Japanese- Cutemon, Nene, Lillithmon, V-Mon, Whamon, Lalamon
English- Beastmon, Christopher, MadLeomon, Belphemon, Ballistamon, Dorulumon

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!
Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test

Here's the first OP from Youtube.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The manga was very, very good. The world is colorful and lively, the characters' personalities fun. The illustrations are tier, but those of Madness are especially chilling. The plot is interesting even if prototypically shounen. Good pick for Digimon fans, goc.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yes, Soul Eater. For my thoughts search my name and Soul Eater on Twitter. Toonami showed it so I did all my comments there. I think it's different then the manga. Plus the spin off of sorts? Soul Eater Not!

D-Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
God yes Soul Eater. One of my favorite shounen series, mostly because of the humor and colorful characters. The main 3 and their partners are all well balanced and all feel like equals. There are a few differences from the manga like the last 20 or so episodes. I don't really have a problem with them but I am disappointed they never went with the book of circus route where they just continue on from the manga and ignore the filler. Still I give it an 8 out of 8 (because 10 is not symmetric). And if you like this show, please whatever you do don't watch Soul Eater Not. Its like a really really bad fanfiction made into an actual series.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished watching the entire series tonight (so it did technically take me only seven days). The whole thing was a lot of fun, and I loved most every aspect of it. While somewhat similar to Digimon in some ways, the series generally had a feel of its own. It both seemed to place greater emphasis on comedy than Digimon and yet to be rather darker than Digimon in a lot of places. I don't really have any complaints to make, though the Excalibur-centric episodes, while entertaining, seemed rather out of place, so that it almost surprised me when
Excalibur was integrated into the show's final arc.
The opening songs and one of the ending songs have been added to my playlist. It only seemed a little odd that in the latter half of the series the opening/ending sequences
included characters who played practically no role in that part of the series, such as Blair and Free
. The characters were really fun, from the main recurring cast to the various historical, legendary, and fictional figures that served as enemies of the week. We also got the leadup's third Cthulhu Mythos reference in the latter half of the series
with Eibon and The Book of Eibon (the latter of which also happened to be one of Index's grimoires).

By the way, maybe someone can help me with something. While listening to some of the show's songs on YouTube I happened to click on an AMV (not a kind of video I usually watch) that looked interesting. Strangely, though, it seems to contain scenes that weren't in the anime. The video can be watched at the link following (beware of spoilers). The scenes that specifically caught my eye are
the gathering at 0:08-0:09, the horse-headed creature at 0:41-0:42 and 2:58, and Kid fighting the dark caterpillar-like creatures at 0:57-0:58.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztch6_Uhuk

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
By the way, maybe someone can help me with something. While listening to some of the show's songs on YouTube I happened to click on an AMV (not a kind of video I usually watch) that looked interesting. Strangely, though, it seems to contain scenes that weren't in the anime. The video can be watched at the link following (beware of spoilers). The scenes that specifically caught my eye are
the gathering at 0:08-0:09, the horse-headed creature at 0:41-0:42 and 2:58, and Kid fighting the dark caterpillar-like creatures at 0:57-0:58.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztch6_Uhuk
I'm not 100% sure, but they're probably from the Wii game Soul Eater: Monotone Princess. The game uses cutscenes animated by Bones.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's probably it. The game is Japan-only, I take it?

By the way, did it strike anyone else in episode 21 that
insane Maka pretty much just acts the way Patty does all the time?
I found that amusing.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There was a Wii game? Did not know that. Thank you.