Leadup to Tri Week 19- Baka and Test

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
13 episodes this time (just season 1.)

Not much in the way of content warnings, probably the same as last week in fact- Very mild action, lots of slapstick comedy with some ecchi for flavor

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/baka-and-test-summon-the-beasts
Subbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/baka-and-test-summon-the-beasts/videos/episodes
Subbed on Youtube for free- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=EL31EoG_Ol7E8

After people reacted well to D-Frag I thought I'd find something sort of similar this week.

Baka and Test perhaps skews a bit more to at least pretending education happens at the school. It comes up with a crazy explanation for classes to battle to try and move their way up and get better classroom equipment. I'll leave the explanation at that as the show actually does a very good idea sliding people into being comfortable with what's going on.

Good show, good characters, and I happen to find the art very pleasing to the eye.

A few small Digimon connections this time- If you listen carefully you'll hear Magnamon from Digimon Savers, PicoDevimon from Adventure, and a few people who cameoed in various Digimon bits.

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos
Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball
Leadup to Tri Week 18- D-Frag!

Here's the OP from Youtube.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really liked Baka Test. It's hilarious and it has a Hideyoshi. ...And Hideyoshi's twin sister. But the other characters are great. From the "title baka", to his lazy smart friend, the ninja-like pervert, again, Hideyoshi, and the girls. Violent but can cook good, non-violent but is lethal with her cooking, and the marriage obsessed girl in the best class. She loves the MC's lazy smart friend. And the OP/ED is good.

That's not a great way to describe it but I like the series. And Hideyoshi is the only one of that type that I don't have issues with. Because they're always used as a joke.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wound up liking this series a lot. At first a few things about the art style kind of threw me off (the dotted areas representing shadows, the perpetually blushing characters), but like with previous anime it all became natural before long and I was able to enjoy things better. As with last week's series, I liked the comedy. In particular the running joke of Minami interrupting Akihisa's dialogue with grievous bodily harm made me laugh every time. The idea of literal class warfare was interesting, but for the most part it was the characters rather than the setting that drew me.

I went ahead and watched the second season as well, though it was only on its penultimate episode that I realized there was a 2-episode OVA I had missed between seasons. Going back to watch that explained a few things that had been confusing me, so heads up to anyone looking to continue the series. The second season increased the focus on romance, but I don't think the series suffered for it. At least one episode generated real feels, and the finale naturally appealed to someone with my interests.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I told you it was good. This is one show I saw and recommend.