Leadup to Tri Week 17- Dragon Ball

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
13 episodes this time (with quite a bit more if you want.)

Dragon Ball (the original)

Mild violence and the occasional ecchi comment/joke with a touch of nudity.

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/dragon-ball
Subbed on Funimation for free- http://www.funimation.com/shows/dragon-ball/videos/episodes

Getting around to a bit more action content, seemed a great place to start.

Most people are familiar with DBZ, but I always find it interesting how many people haven't gone back to see where it all started (and to be honest, I prefer Dragon Ball to DBZ.) The show has much more of a comedic bent to it and has lots of adventuring rather than the more nonstop fighting and charging up the show became known for later.

It's really fun to watch but the action is well done also. I'm going with just the first 13 (the first story-arcs ending) but I highly recommend you watch through 28 if you have the time. The episodes after 13 introduced the first batch of training and tournament style fighting episodes to the franchise, and they are quite unlike what you'll expect if you are only familiar with DBZ (some of the gags used in the fights still make me laugh years after first having seen them.)

The primary connection to Digimon that most people know would be that Goku's voice actress Masako Nozawa was Guilmon in Digimon Tamers.

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live
Leadup to Tri Week 12- Ranma 1/2
Leadup to Tri Week 13- Please Teacher
Leadup to Tri Week 14- Please Twins
Leadup to Tri Week 15- Waiting in the Summer
Leadup to Tri Week 16- Infinite Stratos

Here's the OP from Youtube.

[video=youtube;FG_grTNCQck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FG_grTNCQck[/video]

Agu-Chan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember watching the whole of Dragonball during its Toonami run all those years ago. Unlike its sequel series Dragonball focused abit more on adventure than action.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, this is a classic... I've been wanting to re-watch the original Dragon Ball for a long time :) I got into this because my cousins watched "Goku" (as is widely known in Spain), and I happened to watch one episode with them. It brings so many memories... xP

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yay. Everyone knows Dragonball (at least most could). Did not know that about Guilmon though.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finished the first season tonight (I didn't watch farther to spare some time this week). Prior to this I had only seen a couple odd episodes of Dragon Ball Z's dub and Curse of the Blood Rubies, which I take it is a dub of the first Dragon Ball movie. A number of scenes from the latter are drawn pretty much directly from this anime. In a way the movie gives us the first season in one shot, though with different villains (vaguely reminiscent of those in the anime, but less comical and more competent).

Anyway, for some reason it took a while for me to really get into this anime. I didn't really hit my stride with it until around midway through the season. This is probably the oldest anime I've watched through, and it was a little odd to see how reminiscent the animation could be of a Looney Tunes cartoon. It was sort of as if Japanese animation had yet to grow into its more distinctive current form. The humor of the show could be a little too juvenile at times for my taste, but as I said the show got better as it went on.

The quirkiness of the world is interesting, with its baffling juxtaposition of different cultures. Some of the characters have endearing quirks that made them fun to watch. Goku's method for determining gender was funny, Pu'ar was cute, and Pilaf's incompetent minions had a somewhat touching (if somewhat inexplicable) devotion to him. All in all, I think I enjoyed the show enough to continue watching it sometime in future.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The world of Dragon Ball makes you wonder a bit about it. You don't get a lot of answers but you get some. A dog once wished that dogs ruled the world with the Dragon Balls.