MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
18 episodes this time.

The first chunk of Ranma 1/2.

The content this time isn't what I'd call all ages (there is some mild topless-ness) but is pretty mild content wise.

Subbed on Hulu for free- http://www.hulu.com/ranma-12

Since no one but TMS seems to be watching, just putting up a random show I think he will like.

Ranma is one of the bigguns if you became an anime fan in the USA in the 1990s. Viz used to put out VHS tapes like clockwork (as I recall it was 2 episodes a tape dubbed for $24.95 or 3 episodes subbed for $29.95.) Ranma is one of those shows that every single release was based on ancient tape copies no matter where you were in the world, up until a recent Japanese remaster started getting used and it looks damn glorious (we started getting it last year right after Japan finished.)

The DVD boxsets were quite well priced for when they came out in the early 00s as long as you were willing to overlook the fact that they were effectively just early 90s tapes put on DVD (and if you have those you may actually be able to find me... well... at least my leg... on one of the DVDs.) It'll be interesting to see how modern anime fans look at Ranma, as many of the tropes and standard things we expect started vaguely around when Ranma did (with more than a few being from Ranma itself.)

The new Blu-ray, DVDs, along with new manga releases has led to a small resurgence in Ranma in the USA. Many people don't remember the show nearly tanked on arrival in Japan despite the manga always being very popular. Production crew tried moving stuff around, show still sort of tanked. They then reworked things, changed the title and timeslot, and it did as well as you would expect a top class (at the time) manga franchise to do.

We will just be watching the first 18 episodes which made up the original 'pre-renamed and rejiggered' version of the show (on Hulu these will be the first 18 episodes of season 1.)

There are some Digimon connections here, but not a bunch (at least out of the main crew and cast, there are way to many to check properly.) One of the series composers (Ranma had FOUR) wrote about a half dozens each of Adventure, 02, and Tamers. Kappei Yamaguchi who plays Ranma (male) played Chuumon in Adventure. Minami Takayama who played money hungry Nabiki was Dorumon in X-Evolution and Taiki in all of Xros Wars.

Feel free to post as you want and to make any suggestions regarding how I made the thread. Improvements can always be made.

Previous Threads
Leadup to Tri Week 1- Haganai
Leadup to Tri Weeks 2 and 3- A Certain Magical Index
Leadup to Tri Weekend Movie- Lupin The Third: Green Vs Red
Leadup to Tri Week 3(ish)- High School DxD
Leadup to Tri Week 4- Buso Renkin
Leadup to Tri Week 5- Tenchi Muyo!
Leadup to Tri Week 6- Ben-To
Leadup to Tri Week 7- Maken-Ki!
Leadup to Tri Week 8- Full Metal Panic!
Leadup to Tri Week 9- Engaged to the Unidentified
Leadup to Tri Week 10- Hellsing Ultimate
Leadup to Tri Week 11- Date A Live

Nothing to embed that makes sense on Youtube because Viz has had things that might be relevant taken down... so no OP or episode embed this time... so here is an ad from a VHS tape for the American release of one of the Ranma games on the Super Nintendo.

[video=youtube;ghAunAlzHzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ghAunAlzHzM[/video]

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know this one. Never saw it but I know about it since it's classic. And I've heard of how they retooled it some. It's made people who did Inuyasha and might have taken as long to finish as that show was on US TV. heh But I've always heard it was great.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I finished the first season last night, and I like the show pretty well. When I heard the concept of the show years ago the gender change thing struck me as a little gross, but exposure to the internet has softened it (and I got a foretaste of gender-bending anime in the second season of Date a Live). As with Tenchi Muyo, the old-fashioned art style took some getting used to at first, but I became desensitized to it pretty quickly. I think I've laughed more at this series than any of the previous anime we've done. Among other things, I love Ranma's father in panda form, and I'm glad that he doesn't go to much effort to stay in human shape. The only disappointing thing (other than that one flashback to something that hadn't happened yet) was that the season's last episode is basically a clip show - I watched through it, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I should be saving it for when I get around to reintroducing myself to the series.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When a show is failing and being retooled, a clip show it a nice cheat to save some money. I never looked at it before, but I'd be curious to know how much of the footage in the clipshow was new, and how much of even the framing material was old footage with new audio.

And yes, Genma's utter... disinterest in himself becoming a panda has always been pretty amusing. It almost literally has no effect on his daily life.