Leadup to Kizuna & : Week 32- Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky & Bandit Flower

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After doing Kamen no Maid Guy last week I planned to go a bit more serious this week. And after putting up NT earlier than planned I didn't plan to put up anymore Gundam, but for promotional releases Bandai is streaming some Gundam that traditionally hasn't been made available via subscription services, so decided to swing to that (and something NT related for anyone who decided to skip it last time.)

Gundam Thunderbolt! Both movies, December Sky & Bandit Flower

Violence, some ecchi, and a few creepy shots and concepts. Think slightly harder PG-13 type movies.

The series can be watched on the following officially:
These are free time limited streams. They all expire at 8pm Pacific on March 30th.
Movie 1- December Sky, dubbed on Youtube
Movie 1- December Sky, subbed on Youtube (soft subtitles are provided via Youtube captioning in half a dozen languages)
Movie 2- Bandit Flower, dubbed on Youtube
Movie 2- Bandit Flower, subbed on Youtube (soft subtitles are provided via Youtube captioning in half a dozen languages)

2 movies this time.

Both Gundam Thunderbolt movies began as short web OVAs (ONAs), of 4 episodes each. After Season 1 did well, it was joined together into a movie with additional bits added to make it a more complete film. Season 2 was seemingly designed from the groun up knowing they'd do this.

Thunderbolt seems to be a bit inspired by different things in Gundam. It takes the more 'super robot' concept of things like Seed, while also wanting to tell slightly more 'war stories' type elements and sort of mashes them together.

It also uses it's relatively short runtime to play with ideas that don't always work well when there is more time, the idea that maybe stories don't need straightforward good guys, to someone who is disabled ruining themselves to show they can not only contribute, but be relevant and important.

Thunderbolt also does an interesting job of integrating music in a way that isn't generally normal for Gundam

Also, right when Kizuna had it's early screenings we did Gundam NT due to some parallels with the new Digimon movie, after I gave up using it as a finale when it seemed like there wouldn't be any free version made available. So of course, a few weeks later they've announced a free Gundam NT stream as part of the same promotion they are doing for Thunderbolt.

No stream URL yet, but it'll be via Youtube for just 3 days starting later this week. It starts at 8pm on 3/12 and ends at 8pm on 3/15.
Update- NT Streams
Dubbed on Youtube
Subbed on Youtube (soft subtitles are provided via Youtube captioning in half a dozen languages)

Thunderbolt has a decent number of Digimon connections, so just doing a few from both sides:

Japanese
Yuichi Nakamura plays Io Fleming in both parts of Thunderbolt. He was also Charismon in Appmon.
Tsuyoshi Koyama plays Fisher Ness in Bandit Flower. For Digimon he was Coachmon in Appmon.

English
Tara Sands was Karla Mitchum in both parts of Thunderbolt. In tri. she was Kari.
Stephanie Sheh did a number of things for both parts of Thunderbolt, including writing the dub scripts and directing the dub. In the 1st Tamers movie she was Minami, and in Data Squad she was Megumi.
Johnny Young Bosch was Daryl Lorenz in both parts of Thunderbolt. In tri. he was TK, and in Fusion he was Dracomon and a few other Digimon.

I've embedded the dub version of the first movie below:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Prior Leadups:
Final Leadup to tri.- Gundam Unicorn (with index of tri. Leadup)
Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters
Week 2- Kimagure Orange Road
Week 3 (and 4)- Lupin the 3rd Part 4
Week 4 Movie- Redline
Week 5- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Week 6- Voltron
Week 7 (Devkyu Guest Slot!)- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Week 8- Laid-Back Camp
Week 9- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Week 10- Yowamushi Pedal
Week 11- Demon King Daimao
Week 12 (onkei Guest Slot!)- Aggretsuko
Week 13- Kill la Kill
Week 14- Super Gals
Week 15 (and 16)- Yu Yu Hakusho
Week 16 Short Series- Please Tell Me! Galko-chan
Week 17 (Classic Leadup)- Tenchi Muyo
Week 18 (Devkyu Guest Slot 2!)- Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan
Week 19- The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Week 20 (Logan Guest Slot)- The Legend of Black Heaven
Week 21 (Classic Leadup)- Haganai
Week 22- Ultraman
Week 23- SSSS.Gridman
Week 24- Haruka Nogizaka's Secret
Week 25 (Classic Leadup)- Tenchi Universe
Week 26- Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors
Week 27- Gundam NT
Week 28- Interviews with Monster Girls
Week 29- Dragon Quest: Your Story & Ni no Kuni
Week 30 (Classic Leadup)- Soul Eater
Week 31- Kamen no Maid Guy

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added the NT links here and in the NT thread since it's up.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I watched these two movies on consecutive days, and liked them pretty well. I wasn't aware that they were not intended as a duology, though, and thought that the story would be completed rather than left to further sequels. It's a little disappointing, but I guess I'm locked in now. From what I can see, a third film hasn't been announced yet. Also, I'm not sure what the titles of the films are supposed to mean (I don't recall December, bandits, or flowers being mentioned). In a way, I think that the viewing experience, particularly in December Sky, was actually enhanced by my ignorance of Gundam. I had no idea why the two sides were at war, and it made the fighting seem random and pointless, which fits the movie's themes (also, I found it interesting that the Gundam pilot was actually one of the more dickish characters). I didn't get this sense so much from Bandit Flower, where I at least knew the characters from the previous movie, and where the religious leader / douchebag scientist character was set up as more of a typical villain.