Leadup to Kizuna & : Week 29- Dragon Quest: Your Story & Ni no Kuni

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After Interviews with Monster Girls, and with Kizuna coming out in under a week, doing something a bit different this time... (and posting a bit early since I'll be out of town Sunday night.)

Dragon Quest: Your Story & Ni no Kuni

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Some violence in both, but nothing really worth mentioning overall to be honest.

The movies can be watched on the following officially:
Dragon Quest: Your Story on Netflix
Ni no Kuni on Netflix
Both are available subbed and dubbed.

This time we are doing 2 movies!

Dragon Quest: Your Story is a CGI film adaption of Dragon Quest 5. All the Dragon Quest games are loved pretty heavily, but (at least to me) it seemed like 5 always had the richest overall world and most detailed story, so trying to stuff that into 100 minutes is certainly something interesting to attempt. The movie goes with the styling of CGI that often shows up in the works of the director (kind of a cross between realistic, Pixar, and anime) rather than the Akira Toriyama styled designs that are the hallmark of it.

Ni no Kuni often feels like the exact opposite of the DQ movie. It goes with designs that feel very much in the vein of the game, so it looks Studio Ghibli-ish, but of course, it isn't animated by Ghibli, and the animation shows. Rather than adapting one of the few Ni no Kuni games, it does an original story in the same vein as the games, allowing it to construct something from the beginning that fits into it's available time.

Both movies are interesting and wildly different takes on how to adapt detailed video game RPGs into films, so they work as an interesting compare and contrast. Moreso when you consider that Digimon has never felt 'that far off' from Dragon Quest in its mood of adventuring and creatures (and of course, Dragon Quest itself has a history with it's own monster capture/training games), and Ni no Kuni (at least the first console game), felt very much like Digimon, so watching recent film adaptions of franchises that skew Digimon-ish in moods is a bit of a fun thing to do with just a few days left to our newest Digimon game.

As for Digimon connections... there are no noticeable connections for the Japanese side, but some interesting ones for the English:
Ni no Kuni
Wendee Lee directed the Ni no Kuni dub and also played a small role. In Digimon she did some directing for Adventure, along with playing TK. In 02 she played Leafmon (and Sora for a quick bit) and she was also Bearmon in the Frontier movie, alongside a number of other roles like Mako and MarineAngemon in Tamers and elsewhere.
Patrick Seitz plays Barton Rosch in Ni no Kuni. In Digimon Fusion he played a number of characters including Starmon and MailBirdramon.
Robbie Daymond plays Gnauss Wisden in Ni no Kuni. In tri. he was Joe.

Dragon Quest: Your Story
Yuri Lowenthal is Luca in Dragon Quest. He was Kai in the Tamers movie.
Stephanie Sheh was the casting director and a producer for Dragon Quest, and she also played Bianca. In the 1st Tamers movie she was Minami, and in Data Squad she was Megumi.
Neil Kaplan is Dr. Agon in Dragon Quest. In 02 he was Hawkmon and his evolutions, along with a few Gennai clones, and in Fusion he was Lord Bagra, Cyberdramon, and quite a few other characters, in both Fusion and elsewhere in the franchise.

I've embedded the trailers for both as a preview:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Prior Leadups:
Final Leadup to tri.- Gundam Unicorn (with index of tri. Leadup)
Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters
Week 2- Kimagure Orange Road
Week 3 (and 4)- Lupin the 3rd Part 4
Week 4 Movie- Redline
Week 5- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Week 6- Voltron
Week 7 (Devkyu Guest Slot!)- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Week 8- Laid-Back Camp
Week 9- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Week 10- Yowamushi Pedal
Week 11- Demon King Daimao
Week 12 (onkei Guest Slot!)- Aggretsuko
Week 13- Kill la Kill
Week 14- Super Gals
Week 15 (and 16)- Yu Yu Hakusho
Week 16 Short Series- Please Tell Me! Galko-chan
Week 17 (Classic Leadup)- Tenchi Muyo
Week 18 (Devkyu Guest Slot 2!)- Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan
Week 19- The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Week 20 (Logan Guest Slot)- The Legend of Black Heaven
Week 21 (Classic Leadup)- Haganai
Week 22- Ultraman
Week 23- SSSS.Gridman
Week 24- Haruka Nogizaka's Secret
Week 25 (Classic Leadup)- Tenchi Universe
Week 26- Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors
Week 27- Gundam NT
Week 28- Interviews with Monster Girls

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ninokuni was bad and dragon quest was amazing up until the ending parts.

SparkGold

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I watched Dragon Quest Your Story two days ago on Netflix and it is one of the most visually beautiful 3D animated movies I have ever seen. But unfortunately, not knowing Dragon Quest 5's plot beforehand is probably the reason it was ruined for me because it wound up being a movie with horrible pacing that didn't allow me time to know and care for the characters. But for the purpose of having something visually stunning to look at and seeing Dragon Quest designs look beautiful and modern, this movie is worth watching for that animation. I just wouldn't recommend watching it for the story.
However, the surprise scene at the very end I absolutely loved.
It's also funny thinking now that the Slime, by definition, is a vaccine Digimon. One way to save a movie for me is to have the plot go full Digimon apparently because I really do adore the ending plot twist and how it was handled

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watched them both, though I was a little disappointed that English subtitles were only available for the dub audio. I guess that's a thing with anime on Netflix. I didn't notice it on the stuff we'd previously watched there, but I guess they had more faithful dubs. Anyway, as for the movies themselves... they were enjoyable. I'm not familiar with either game series. As many other people have said, Dragon Quest's pacing was pretty bad, especially at the beginning, where it bordered on schizophrenic. But it was fun for what it was. The twist was unexpected, and was rather heavy-handed thematically, but there was prepration for it in earlier details, so I didn't mind it. I just hope poor Mildras didn't have any fans who were upset at his non-appearance. He is kind of a goofy-looking final boss. Gema's hamminess was fun. Design-wise he reminded me of Nightmare from the Kirby games. Second Land was the better film, I think. Much more self-contained. Its twists were also interesting, and, for better or worse, less unexpected - I had a feeling that Yoki was treacherous long before it was revealed. I didn't guess that Haru and Yu were counterparts, though. Their personalities seemed a little too different, and Yu seemed markedly more intelligent (I'm not sure how Haru managed to get the wrong idea about how linked lives work after Kotona's stab wound was fixed by pulling a knife out of Asha). The movie reminded me a little of the Little Nemo adaptation - aged up, as it were.