Leadup to Kizuna Week 26- Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After Nogizaka which was calm, and Tenchi Universe which was one we had done before, decided to do a classic we hadn't done before!

Samurai Troopers!
Ronin Warriors!
Both...ish.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This one had some violence in it, but I don't remember anything particularly nuts (although it's been many years since I saw it, so take that with a grain of salt.)

The series can be watched on the following officially:
Subbed on TubiTV
Subbed on Crunchyroll
Dubbed on Amazon Prime

We'll go with 13 episodes, which is a third of the main series.

Discotek released this one, but I didn't work on it.

Samurai Troopers came to the US dubbed as Ronin Warriors in the mid 90s, and then years later it got a dual language release from Bandai Entertainment, along with later OVA sequels (and in the case of the dub of those, with members of the original cast returning.)

Oddly, minus the version on Amazon Prime, the dub for the TV show has all but vanished in recent years (the DVD from Discotek a number of years ago didn't include the dub.)

The show is a relatively nice action/adventure show, and while I don't know the entire history behind it, it's always been one I look back on fondly. It looks like, in Japan, it was made to let Sunrise have their own take on Saint Seiya, while in the US, it was almost certainly brought over because of a number of similarities to Power Rangers. A reasonably amount of merchandise ended up coming out in both Japan and the US during, and following, it's initial run (and some new stuff occasionally is still made despite it ending many years ago.)

It proved popular enough in the US that years later almost the entire US toyline was re-released (with more than a few issues in the re-releases.)

As for Digimon connections... while there are none notable on the English side from Ronin Warriors, a good number of the main characters in Samurai Troopers had interesting roles in Digimon...

Tomohiro Nishimura was Shu Rei Fuan in Samurai Troopers. In Frontier he was Grotmon and Gigasmon.

Takeshi Kusao was Ryo in Samurai Troopers. In Digimon he was the Revolmon in 02, Bagramon, Ballistamon, Greymon, and Kiriha in Xros Wars, along with the 'Old Man' in Hunters.

Nozomu Sasaki was Shin in Samurai Troopers. In Digimon he was GranLocomon in Xros Wars and KnightChessmon in Hunters.

Kumiko Watanabe was Jun in Samurai Troopers. In Digimon she was Tomoki and his Digimon forms in Frontier, along with Gumdramon in Hunters.

Norio Wakamoto was Kaosu/Chaos in Samurai Troopers. In Digimon he was Icedevimon in Frontier and Duftmon in Cyber Sleuth.

I've embedded the English opening as a preview:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Prior Leadups:
Final Leadup to tri.- Gundam Unicorn (with index of tri. Leadup)
Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters
Week 2- Kimagure Orange Road
Week 3 (and 4)- Lupin the 3rd Part 4
Week 4 Movie- Redline
Week 5- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Week 6- Voltron
Week 7 (Devkyu Guest Slot!)- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Week 8- Laid-Back Camp
Week 9- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Week 10- Yowamushi Pedal
Week 11- Demon King Daimao
Week 12 (onkei Guest Slot!)- Aggretsuko
Week 13- Kill la Kill
Week 14- Super Gals
Week 15 (and 16)- Yu Yu Hakusho
Week 16 Short Series- Please Tell Me! Galko-chan
Week 17 (Classic Leadup)- Tenchi Muyo
Week 18 (Devkyu Guest Slot 2!)- Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan
Week 19- The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Week 20 (Logan Guest Slot)- The Legend of Black Heaven
Week 21 (Classic Leadup)- Haganai
Week 22- Ultraman
Week 23- SSSS.Gridman
Week 24- Haruka Nogizaka's Secret
Week 25 (Classic Leadup)- Tenchi Universe

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remembered this as child. I never forget this epic transformations and White Inferno! I always wished Digimon came up with awesome design inspiration based from this. But it's obviously will be similar to Frontier in some way but I didn't mean that. I wanted new Digimon species as Digital Armored troopers in "Chessmon" cosplayers if you think them as the elemental Foot soldiers. Not the anime season.

Digimon did have real savage samurai digimons that actually stayed true to the real life, "Musyamon" and Zanbamon. Ravmon's helmet look like it's samurai helmet. I wonder if Digimon will have Sengoku figure based like Oda Digimon for example, MagnaKidmon from Wild West actually happened?

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remembered this as child. I never forget this epic transformations and White Inferno! I always wished Digimon came up with awesome design inspiration based from this. But it's obviously will be similar to Frontier in some way but I didn't mean that. I wanted new Digimon species as Digital Armored troopers in "Chessmon" cosplayers if you think them as the elemental Foot soldiers. Not the anime season.

Digimon did have real savage samurai digimons that actually stayed true to the real life, "Musyamon" and Zanbamon. Ravmon's helmet look like it's samurai helmet. I wonder if Digimon will have Sengoku figure based like Oda Digimon for example, MagnaKidmon from Wild West actually happened?
You do realize, WarGreymon was based on an armored samurai, just no human head

Fenrys

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this was the first anime i ever watched and still one of my favorites to this day

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
????

WarGreymon felt it's like more of Gladiator Warrior to me.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yeah. This show. It sure was something. ...Did the Sky guy get to do much? I remember they had to get him out of the actual sky.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My initial impression of this show was that it was pretty generic, and now that I've watched 13 episodes that's pretty much confirmed. It'll never be a great favorite of mine, though it has grown on me a little since I started it. Took me a while to be able to keep straight which of the five Samurai Warriors was which, and I couldn't help rolling my eyes at the four warlords always insisting on attacking one at a time instead of teaming up for an easy win. The action could be fun to watch, despite occasional repetition, mostly in the form of the woman and the kid getting used as human shields. Really the most fun I had was looking up the inspirations behind the warlords. I'll be finishing the series sometime after the leadup. Things looked like they were starting to get a little more interesting.