Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, as it turned out, I tore through both of my options in quick succession, following them up with minor miscellanea connected to various other anime I've watched in the past.

Food Battler Soma: The Second Plate
I don't have much to say about this one. It continues to be a very enjoyable show, and I look forward to watching the four OVA episodes once they've all been released. I got into the habit of eating popcorn while watching the show each night, just to be eating something.

Persona 3: The Movie
I enjoyed this. In terms of focus it contrasted with the Persona 4 anime, focusing on story-driving events while mostly glossing over the characters' mundane lives, though there was still enough downtime to give a good sense of them. The characters did take me a while to warm up to. The movie's way of handling the blank slate protagonist results in a much less likable character than the Persona 4 anime's Yu. But by midway through the second movie I'd started to like the characters, which made for a lot of emotional moments in the later episodes. (Side note: although I've been vaguely aware of Aigis's existence for a while now, she really does make Detective x Naoto's introduction of androids seem a lot less odd. They were even made by the same company.)

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan

This surprised me. Usually when it comes to quick, humorous series related to a full anime, I finish with a sense of, "Well, that's out of the way," but for the first time this ended with me wishing there was more of it. It's really good, and fully as hilarious as the main Haruhi series. Despite being a little more cartoonish, it even has a kind of weird internal continuity to it. If anyone here was a fan of the main series and hasn't seen this, I highly recommend it.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Reflections

This is an hour-long special tied to the original FMA anime that's an odd combination of clip show and what seems to be original, character-building narration, interspersed with the various opening themes for the series. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I don't think watching this was a waste.

Cowboy Bebop: Ein's Summer Vacation
Okay, now this is something really obscure. It's a cute little minute-long slide show of still pictures. Not much else to say about it.

Crawling! Nyaruani
This was the first animated version of the Nyarko series. It was amusing. Mahiro was violent and we Lovecraft fans got our apology. lol. Now it's out of the way.

High School DxD Specials
And this is out of the way as well. The series of shorts is pretty much straight-up ecchi and little else.

Okay. I think that's all the random stuff I've watched over the past few days. Next I'll be watching the second season of Mushishi.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a lot of Misc stuff. I remember Haruhi-chan. The official site posted them subbed every week. That and the other short.

samazam

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are you into Gundam? While most Gundam series these days are meh at best, some of the more recent series from the UC continuity (Origins, Unicorn, Thunderbolt) are pretty darn good.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I watched some Gundam as part of the leadup, specifically Unicorn and Reconguista in G. Both were enjoyable enough, though I didn't become especially enamored with the franchise. There's a whole lot of it, and I'm not sure I really want to dive in very deeply.

samazam

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, the UC continuity (the best one) covers like half of all Gundam series so I may sound a bit too overwhelming to watch them all. And the fact that most of them are pretty aged doesn't help either. Thunderbolt, fortunately, aside from being the best series so far imo, doesn't really require you to watch the whole thing to appreciate it (it does add on to it if you do of course).

But if you do want to get into UC, the ones that I think are mandatory is of course, the original Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 and Zeta Gundam. Char's Counterattack, 08th MS Team, Stardust Memory, and War in the Pocket are great add-ons. Origins and Thunderbolt is end game. The rest is... for if you have ran out of anything to watch.

Also, while not part of UC, I also highly recommends Turn A. It is both the spiritual culmination of previous Gundam series, and the "prototype" to all modern series, with one of the most unique art and sound design in the franchise.

Also also, if you like super robots, then G Gundam is dope. Not as much as Mazinger or Getter Robo, but its pretty high up there.

Also also also, while I can't personally recommend 00 and Iron-Blooded Orphans myself, they're pretty darn successful series, so there's that. But whatever you do, stay away fro SEED and Destiny, at least until you've watch all the other series. I know a lot of people who has a bad impression (and outright gave up) on the entire franchise solely because they watched these two.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's a lot to digest there. I may look into Gundam in the future, but for the moment I'm much more interested in other things.

Mushishi Zoku Shou
This is basically the second season of Mushishi, though Zoku Shou as a whole is broken up into two seasons of ten episodes each, with a double-length episode (the first one's called an OVA and the second one's called a movie, for some reason) after each. I really appreciated getting back into the show. Once again the quiet eeriness of some of the mushi manifestations appealed to me. I really like Ginko, too, as a protagonist. He's not very demonstrative, but still has a well-defined sense of personality to him: caring but not overly sentimental, inquisitive, and with a trace of deadpan humor. One thing that strikes me is how non-confrontational he is. He never hesitates to share his opinion and give his advice, but he always lets the other characters take it or leave it, and never insists on anything, much less resort to anything like violence, which is what most anime heroes tend to eventually do. I'm really glad I gave this show a shot. It's one of the few anime I've seen that is art rather than just entertainment. It's very Japanese in a very traditional kind of way. It's a little like reading Lafcadio Hearn or The Tale of Genji, and there's also a deep connection to the natural world that you don't often see nowadays. The only minor quibble I have with it is that Ginko usually recognizes right away what kind of mushi he's dealing with and how to solve the problem. It makes sense in the context of the show's world, but it would be nice to see him out of his depth a little more often. I liked the amusing moment in the first double-length episode where he reacts to seeing a large and somewhat intimidating-looking mushi he doesn't recognize.

And now it's back to anime land as we know it. Like before, I'll be following up Mushishi with a season of High School DxD.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I watched High School DxD New, and since that was the end of the list I cycle through, I thought it might be a good time to watch one of the few shows on my to-watch list not connected to anything I'd previously seen (and the only one of those anime, I discovered, whose original version was available in full).

High School DxD New
In addition to the season's twelve episodes, I also watched the extra episode OVA. This season seemed to be mostly plot, without many of the diversionary episodes of the first season, which is nice in a way, and allowed it to introduce several interesting new concepts. Also, while it was decidedly still an ecchi show, it seemed like it focused less on that aspect, which I didn't mind. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story progresses in the third season.

Narutaru (not sure how best to translate the full title)
This was an anime I added to my list after seeing it mentioned here on the forum. It was written by Chiaki Konaka, and involved kids partnering with monsters, which in conjunction caught my attention, though I was also aware going in that the series, particularly the manga that it's based on, is known for its disturbing subject matter. I wonder how many other people felt sucker-punched by it, since the opening sequence is laughably innocent compared to the body of the show, and the first few episodes are standard anime fare. Since it aired on TV, it seems that some of the darker aspects of the manga were hinted at instead of depicted or addressed directly, but the hints weren't at all subtle, and it remains one of the more disturbing anime I've seen. I don't regret watching it, but will settle for reading a synopsis of the manga instead of the manga itself. Since the manga contains the other half of the series' plot, it makes a number of things about the anime easier to understand and place in context. One other interesting thing about this show, I thought, was how its female protagonist Shina embodies all the qualities we usually see in the male hero of a shonen series. I thought that was refreshing.

Well, now it's time to start the cycle over again, perhaps for the last time. As I have many times before, I'll be returning to the Tenchi franchise by watching Ai Tenchi Muyo next.

Kiimon: Blast Mode

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know if these have already been suggested but Bokurano and Mob Psycho 100 are my favorite non-Digimon animes.

The best way to describe Bokurano is like Narutaru for the Mech genre (the manga was even written by the same person). It basically takes a somewhat innocent genre and deconstructs it into something deeply disturbing and it's done much better than Narutaru in my opinion.

Mob Psycho 100 is made by the same guy who made One Punch Man so it has a similar artstyle but the plot is much deeper and it gets darker. It's about a kid who has ridiculously powerful psychic abilities but tries not to use them in public. He isn't trying to keep a secret identity or anything but he just doesn't want to become dependent on his powers.

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou is also really good but it's really different from the other 2. It's a comedy about normal high school boys.

By the way, tri. is what got me into anime too. Sort of.
I watched some anime a couple years ago (dubbed, because I used to be stupid) but everyone called me a weeaboo so I stopped and forgot all about it but then I had to get Crunchyroll to watch tri. and it pulled me into anime again (subbed now).

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mob Psycho 100 is made by the same guy who made One Punch Man so it has a similar artstyle but the plot is much deeper and it gets darker. It's about a kid who has ridiculously powerful psychic abilities but tries not to use them in public. He isn't trying to keep a secret identity or anything but he just doesn't want to become dependent on his powers.
Mob Psycho 100 is indeed a great story that anybody looking for something a bit different should try. Don't be put off by the unusual art style, it truly has some incredible animation.

I truly hope that it gets a second season.

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mob Psycho 100 is indeed a great story that anybody looking for something a bit different should try. Don't be put off by the unusual art style, it truly has some incredible animation.

I truly hope that it gets a second season.
Well they did have a freezeframe of them "season"ing 2 mushrooms at the very end so...

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the suggestions, Kiimon. I'll consider adding those to my list. After looking them up, Mob Psycho 100 is nothing like what I expected from the title. I figured it would be about the mafia. The third show you mentioned sounds a little like Azumanga Daioh with a male cast.

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's what I thought when I first heard of it but the events are much more realistic. The thing that defines Azumanga is its absurdity in my opinion, and Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou isn't that far from reality. It's also much funnier than Azumanga in my opinion.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good luck with Ai. But Funny story. It's said that 4Kids got Narutaru before they saw too far in the series. Then they dropped it. It's exactly what they would have done.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, I haven't been watching much anime recently. I'm currently playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for my Japanese media fix, but before then I did actually get around to watching Ai Tenchi Muyo. I thought I was going to follow it up with more anime and do a post about several things I'd watched, but I didn't get around to watching anything else. So here's my belated thoughts on Ai Tenchi Muyo.

Ai Tenchi Muyo!
I've gotten the impression that not many Tenchi Muyo fans really cared for this series, but I liked it very well myself. The format was a little strange, but I just treated it as a 12-episode series, watching each week's worth of episodes at a time. I liked the new cast of characters, and thought that on the whole it was a good way to balance classic Tenchi elements with doing something new. You can only do so many different series with the same characters and setting before things begin to get stale, and I think that Tenchi as a whole has done a good job of keeping things fresh with each series. I have a feeling that there were other, more specific comments I would have made about the series, but it's been a little too long to remember many of them. I did find it funny that one of the characters tried to win a student council election using (among other things) sex appeal, considering it was an all-girl school. But I guess that's not as counterintuitive in anime land as it would be in real life.

Not sure what I'll watch next. I'd considered maybe another season of Ranma 1/2 or giving an Ah! My Goddess! gag series a shot, but I'll probably wait to watch anything until I've finished playing Breath of the Wild.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was ok. Nothing big. And finish? There's that new DLC pack so you may not be finished with BotW for a while.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Y’AI ’NG’NGAH,
YOG-SOTHOTH
H’EE—L’GEB
F’AI THRODOG
UAAAH!

...Thread resurrected. So I beat Breath of the Wild a while back, and have been working on playing Cyber Sleuth, but something made me want to rewatch the Persona 4 anime, so I did, and after that I basically just kept right on watching stuff. So here are my thoughts on the two "new" shows I've watched recently.

Food Battler Soma
I watched the first and second seasons' OVAs. Not much to say about them. It was fun to meet the other members of the top ten students, and I'm looking forward to the third season of the show.

Himouto! Umaru-chan! R
I was looking forward to Umaru's return, and the second season didn't disappoint. The introduction of Hikari clears up some of the more mysterious aspects of the first season, though now I want to know what the deal is with her eyebrows. Also, that thing she does when her eyes get really wide is hilarious to me for some reason). For the most part this season is more of the same, but in this case there's nothing wrong with that. There were a few moments when I thought Umaru's alter-egos might be exposed, but so far her secrets are safe, somehow. Luckily for her, none of the characters seem to communicate while they're not on screen. Here's hoping we get a third season eventually. After all,
now we know there's a fourth older brother out there! Now Umaru's name for her gang in Umaru-chanS makes more sense

Ah! My Goddess: It's Convenient Being Small
This is one of those spinoff shows that are largely plotless, gag-based, and tend to be drawn in a different style. I didn't have high hopes going in, since with the exception of Haruhi-chan I usually don't care much for such things, and Ah! My Goddess isn't a particular favorite of mine. But once this show got going I liked it rather well. Like the series that spawned it, it's competently done, and has good variety for one of these gag shows. I even thought one of the seven-minute episodes (28, "Rainy Day") was rather beautiful. It was interesting that Urd and Skuld usually took the spotlight. Belldandy is arguably the least interesting of the trio, so it was probably a smart move. Gan-chan was a fun addition to the cast, and I may actually miss him in other franchise material (I still have the OVAs, movie, and specials to watch through). Occasionally there were little plot oddities, like the goddesses forgetting they could fly in cases where it would have easily solved a problem, but since it's not a serious show this doesn't detract from it.

What I was going to watch next was Puni Puni Poemy, which grew out of references to a show with that title the Excel Saga anime. But then it occurred to me that I'd never actually watched a show in the "magical girl" genre before, and that I might want to get a little more familiar with it before watching a parody (it was one of the few genres Hack Experimental Animation Excel Saga forgot to parody). Since I didn't feel like watching through 200 episodes of Sailor Moon, I asked for advice and have decided to watch through the 70 episodes (which is still quite a few) of Cardcaptor Sakura for my next anime. I can return to Poemy later.

Anyone else been watching new shows?

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
CCS is a good idea. I'm watching the Clear chapter now even though I only seen whatever the dub of the first series was. That, Dagashi Kashi, that candy anime, and Yugioh. Of course. But it's a new anime season. So I'll watch an ep of a few from last season and see what people say about the current anime.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyone else been watching new shows?
Not quite "new" per se, but I've been watching a show from last year called "Knights & Magic" which the basic premise is a dude from our Earth is killed in an accident and winds up in a fantasy parallel world which is always under attack from demons and magical beasts. Using his knowledge of engineering, the protagonist helps with building the "Silhouette Knights" which are basically mecha but running on magical energy instead of electricity.

Pretty good show, though I heard it had the typical adaptation style of having to streamline plots and characters from the book in order to fit into X number of episodes. So I am interested in picking up the books when I get a chance and see how the show holds up to its source material.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds like a could be interesting! When I say “new” I mean new to you. I haven’t watched many real recent shows myself.

It may be a while before I get to watch anything more, since my computer was having problems yesterday and won’t come up today. It may be time for a new one.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Last night on Toonami I saw the movie Mind Game and the first episode of FLCL Alternate. The joke was they were subbed. So that was something. Very strange movie though.