Leadup Aftermath - More Anime and Manga (New Anime: FLCL Sequels, Trava)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I may never see Ranma. It's a big classic though. We did discuss Please Teacher before. Also haven't seen it. I think I tried IS before. Or was that Frozen. Both I think. I did see Baka Test. It's awesome and Hideyoshi is really the only character of that type I like. Because it's always played as a joke. Never played straight and he has a twin sister, which leads to comedy. And I like the ED.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yay, I'm glad you got to check out and enjoyed Mushishi, TMS. Its tone is pretty unique among most acclaimed anime series.

I've watched quite a bit of Ranma 1/2, but it's doubtful I'll ever finish it. Too many episodes, too similar and predictable episodes, not enough time. It's good though, and I certainly understand its popularity at the time.

I couldn't sit through more than fifteen minutes of Frozen. Like, it's not bad, and the music and premise seem nice, but the pacing was just very off for me, even if the beginning is a deliberate timeskip.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm hoping to get back into watching anime before too long. Because of some renovation going on at my house I've lost my "study" where it was most convenient and comfortable to watch it, which is why I haven't been watching anything but AppliMonsters for over a month (and even that rather lackadaisically).

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
you should watch Blood Lad and magical girl raising project, good stuff
[h=1][/h]

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What are those about? The latter sounds rather exploitative.
Blood Lad
a human girl enters the demon world by accident and meets a vampire otaku who gets the hots for her, she then dies and turns into a ghost. he tries to ressurect her while also dealing with his werwolf pal his vampire brother and sister, some crazy demons and a teleporting girl. it´s pretty hilarious and has some good action.

magical girl raising project
yeah i know it reads like some standard ecchi anime but it´s far away from that, a mobile magical girl app spreads around some people who played it been choosen to become magical girls, though the mascot of the game recruited to many girls and now they need to get rid of them, collect candys by doing good stuff, the lowest score gets kicked out of the club, the catch? if you loose your magical girl status you die.
what follows is a massacre, betrayal ect. deeper the the title suggests.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yeah. That Madoka-esque type Magical Girl show. I've heard of it.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Blood Lad manga is nice, so if the anime adapts that well it's probably good too. I've considered Magical Girl Raising Project only because of what its title suggests, but from some previews it doesn't look my cup of tea at all.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I still have no ideal place to watch anime (never order carpet from Lowe's, kids), but several days ago an idea struck me and I did what I should have done over a month ago. I bought and binge-read through the Soul Eater NOT! manga, just finishing it tonight. I think it's the first time I've ever read a manga before watching its anime adaptation.

Soul Eater NOT!
So, for those who aren't familiar, this is a spin-off of / prequel to the original Soul Eater manga. I've seen complaints that it (or maybe just its anime adaptation?) is too different from the original, but I didn't find it so, and rather liked it. Part of the reason the author wrote it was to do some additional world-building that couldn't be fit into the original manga's plot, and it gave me a pleasant sense of "coming home" to return to DWMA, without any of the dissonance one often gets from sequels and prequels (probably because it's all done by one guy). Many characters from the original appear in it, their roles ranging from brief cameos to major involvement in the plot. That plot answers several questions, too.
First off, for one thing, the bizarre offhand reference to Sid's death from the beginning of Soul Eater was explained and given context. How Jacqueline discovered Kim was a witch is also shown. Finally, I had always wondered, since there were three gorgon sisters in Greek mythology, whether there was a third Gorgon sibling in the Soul Eater universe, and reflected that if I were writing a spin-off series I would make that hypothetical third Gorgon sister the villain, and that's exactly what the author did, which I appreciated.

So that was fun. Now I'm back to playing the waiting game, I guess. Still not sure yet what anime I'll watch next when I get a chance. I could do season 2 of Ranma, but that doesn't appeal to me much at the moment. I already have access to the Ah! My Goddess! OVA. Since I just finished reading Soul Eater NOT! it would be nice to follow it up with the anime. And I've also been really looking forward to seeing the Persona 3 movies. I guess time will tell what I go with. While I'm waiting, I may reread Soul Eater proper.

Last edited:

samazam

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm surprised nobody has suggested Konosuba yet. Its your run-of-the-mill "protag got sucked up in a fantasy rpg world" anime, except that it subverts all the tropes. Its genuinely stupid and hilarious, at least to me.
Then there's Gurren Lagann, of which I guess even you have at least heard of it.
As for stuffs to read, try Golden Kamuy or Vagabond if you like seinen, and Arago and Project ARMS for shounen. Oh, and the Pokemon Special manga, that shit is good.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the suggestions, samazam. I'll look into them, though at the moment I personally am not really looking for more to watch/read besides what's already on my list. I'll definitely keep those in mind once I get caught up, though.

Well, you all see what won out. Nothing against Ah! My Goddess!, but no anime franchise besides Digimon fascinates me to the same extent as Soul Eater. The carpet still hasn't come in, but I wanted to watch something even if I didn't have an armchair chair to watch it in.

Soul Eater NOT!

It appears that my concerns over which version to experience first were for nothing. Though the anime started midway through the manga's run, the manga must have finished first, since the general plot for both is pretty much the same right up to the end. I was worried about the anime only having 12 episodes, but it pulled it off admirably. Anyway, it was fun to see what was different. Naturally a number of scenes were not adapted from the manga, but new scenes were added in (including things that happened before Tsugumi's arrival at DWMA and several additional dream sequences) and existing scenes were often changed up to take better advantage of the medium or other circumstances. It was nice to see Akane and Clay appear in an anime. Come to think of it, they were probably invented for Soul Eater NOT!, and were only incorporated into the main manga afterward. Cameos of manga-only characters were left out of the anime. Some of the minor changes to the final battle/ending
gave me pause, though I can see why they were made. Tsugumi transforming into a flying weapon was odd, but probably only because in the world of the manga Soul could only do that after becoming a Death Weapon. As for the final battle, Shaula was considerably nerfed. Her more interesting and powerful attacks were gone, and the trio was able to handle her without help from Akane and Clay. Not necessarily either a good or bad thing, but it is a notable difference.

Since I'm on a roll with this Soul Eater stuff, I think I'm going to go ahead and rewatch the original anime. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and apparently there was a rebroadcast of the series at one point with new opening and ending themes. Maybe I can insert those into the version I wind up watching. It would be cool if Soul Eater got a full second adaptation the way Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist did, but I don't know how likely that is.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm back in the game!

Soul Eater
Before watching anything new I finished rereading and rewatching Soul Eater. I still love the series, and appreciate the differences in the two versions, though I have preferences on how certain things were handled. Of course, the anime ended with a number of things still up in the air (and a lot more characters
still alive
- even, apparently,
Medusa, as the last episode's ending credits seem to imply
), so in many ways the manga's ending feels more conclusive. But I liked certain ways in which the anime handled character arcs differently. Specifically,
Stein's and Soul's struggles with madness came to a head in the anime, whereas in the manga they didn't really go anywhere. Reading the manga, you keep waiting for Stein to go nuts, or Soul to have some kind of final confrontation with the little demon over the black blood in him, but unlike in the anime those subplots are eventually waved aside. About Medusa's final death, I think it was handled well enough in both versions. Much as I like to have a sense of closure about it, the anime hinting that she's still alive at the end actually makes more sense to me. She cheated death once by having a snake handy, and I was a little surprised in the manga that she didn't do it again when Crona killed her. Perhaps it was necessary to her plans for Crona to believe he had killed her, but it's strange that she didn't try to stick around and see what her "new world" would be like.
As a little footnote, after I finished rewatching the anime I watched the anime scenes from the Japan-only video game Soul Eater: Monotone Princess, in which a villain from the manga makes his first animated appearance under a different name. Of course, the game hasn't been translated (I can't even play it without a Japanese Wii), so most of the dialogue went over my head.

Ah! My Goddess!
Specifically, the five-episode OVA that was the series' first anime adaptation, airing a decade before the television show we (or at least I) watched as part of the Tri leadup. On the whole I'm rather glad that I watched the show first, since it had the breathing room to take its time introducing characters and concepts, and I might not have appreciated the OVA as much if I wasn't already familiar with the series. Otherwise the OVA shares the same strengths and weaknesses as the TV show. I was amused to see that its opening showed even more characters that didn't appear in it than the TV show's did. A character I was a little surprised to see in the OVA was God, who wasn't depicted in humanoid form in the TV series if I remember correctly.

Oregairu
I watched the OVA for the show's second season, basically just an extra episode, like the first season's was. Mostly it focused on the kind of humor that I appreciated so much early on in the series. It's been forever since I last watched any part of it, so I had to hit up Wikipedia to remind myself who the secondary character that the OVA focuses on was. Nice light fun. I still can't help but identify with Hikigaya. lol

Danmachi
And then I watched an OVA from a second show whose full title is too damn long. This one was your standard hot springs episode, with a bit of action thrown in. The fact that the spring was located in the Dungeon was unique, at least. Kind of off-topic, and I'd have to rewatch the main series to confirm it, but it's a shame that this series, and RPGs and anime in general, are never interested in making use of the horror potentialities of cavern worlds like the Dungeon, the kind of thing you'd find in Tolkien or Lovecraft. But yeah, I know that's something no one but me is disappointed by, and I certainly wouldn't expect anything of the kind in a fanservice-focused episode like this.

Well, that's it for now. I think next I'm going to watch another Tenchi Muyo! spinoff, the one dubbed as War on Geminar (as far as I can tell, the original title means something like The Parallel World's Holy Adventurer's Story), though that's subject to change.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh yeah.. There was a Soul Eater Wii game. Huh. The last Tenchi Muyo series until those small eps and the upcoming? Still upcoming? series. Has his half-bro fighting in robots I think. I haven't seen it.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, it would seem that I'm back on a semi-regular schedule for anime viewing. This time it's a week between posts instead of a month. Is anyone else watching anything at the moment (besides Digimon, of course)? Right now most of the thread is just me monologuing.

Parallel World's Sacred Mechanoid Story
Better known by its English dub name of War on Geminar, this is a Tenchi Muyo spinoff, though since it takes place entirely in a different world the usual Tenchi characters are only alluded to. The protagonist is apparently Tenchi's half-brother Kenshi, who looks a lot like him but has a number of personality quirks that set him apart. He seems to be good at just about everything, particularly combat, so that as with Hellsing you almost start to feel sorry for his opponents after a while. His rival Dagmyer was fun. He's such a dick (particularly to his poor attendant), but he gets his ass kicked so often and so consistently that it's hard to hate him too much. Of course, Kenshi shares the curse of other Tenchi franchise protagonists of being irresistible to women. On the whole it was an interesting and enjoyable series. While employing a lot of the same tropes as its parent series, in many ways it feels like its own thing. Aside from the ecchi elements, it actually felt a lot to me like a Gundam series. I have only two minor complaints about it.
The plot twist of having two characters turn out to be the same character felt overused, since there were three separate instances of it. Also, that sequel hook or whatever it was at the end seemed like an odd way to finish the series. But I guess there's nothing very wrong with being open-ended. I had predicted that Kenshi's romantic entanglements would be easily solved at the end by letting the poor kid go home, but perhaps I should have known better.
Hard to believe that I've almost seen all Tenchi Muyo anime. All I have left are Ai Tenchi Muyo and the "Pretty Sammy" spinoffs (which latter I don't think are available to me). Of course, there's going to be a fourth season of Ryo-Ohki finishing up this year too.

Himouto! Umaru-chan
I watched an OVA, basically an extra episode of Umaru-chan. It was as cute and amusing as the series proper was. I think my favorite parts were the visual gags while Umaru was wearing her Halloween costume; seeing the tail wag when she was happy was hilarious.

As far as my next anime goes, I'm torn between watching the second season of Food Wars (which comes next if I'm following my leadup-derived watch order) and watching the Persona 3 movies, which I've been looking forward to for quite a while.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ai isn't that much. It's a bunch of short eps. I think it was to be an ad for a place. Can't remember.

samazam

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do note that like many other series, every entry of the Persona series, while retaining some key aspects, are different from each other. So if you going into P3 expecting something like P4 then you're gonna be disappointed.

Also, and I'm sure you have heard of this at some point, and you have your reasons, but I'm still obligated to say this as a Pesona fan; it is definitely a better experience playing the game than watching the anime. There's so much being left out.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I know they're all different from one another. And I've certainly had lots of people recommend the games, but my time seems very limited, and you don't have to grind for EXP or retry failed battles in order to finish an anime. Sure, a lot is left out, but most of it is stuff I'd probably be fine with missing. I've watched gameplay videos, and so much of the "ordinary life" type of stuff (which apparently makes up a lot of the games) would bore me to death.

samazam

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Most of the stuffs being left out are fillers at best so yeah, its definitely okay to ignore them.Its just that the Persona series is unique/weird among other series in that these trifle interactions and scenes are as memorable as the story itself.

Anyways, if you don't have that much spare time, then the games are really not for you anyways. Average completion time for them is 100+ hours.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
^ Yeah, definitely one thing I wasn't a fan of in P3 onwards was the "School life" they added in.

But sadly, it doesn't seem to be leaving anytime soon.

samazam

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I personally think its okay. Sure it becomes a chore as the game progress, but hey, its what make the series stands out from other JRPGs, especially among the SMT series.