?? la?f ?v d?ak

Jacq

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
edit; Silly forums do not like IPA. The title of this thread should be "θə laɪf ʌv dʒak"

Hooray a place to babble about whatever silly things I'm doing.

SCHOOL IS NO FUN. My thesis project was hip hop hopping along, until my adviser decided my pilot subjects were doing too well. Ugh. So now I'm in some tedious, boring process of creating a second program for testing speech recognition thresholds because nobody seems to understand that I'm not funded, not on a two-year schedule like everyone else, and finishing my degree requirements at the same time. Like I didn't have enough to do already. Sent off my abstract (200 word limit?! WHY?!?!) for a conference in Ontario in december, should hear back if I'm accepted in the next week or so... fingers crossed, though again funding is a bit of a drag. One of my profs and a few of the Masters students offered to help out if the federal stuff doesn't go through, but... Well, I don't want to take other peoples' money, but the bottom line is I reallllly can't afford airfare to the other side of the country and room/board for three days right before Christmas.

Also there is a huge douche of a professor that is making my life miserable. I was doing a presentation to other students/profs of my thesis work, and it was supposed to be really informal and introductory, and she fucking slammed me during the question period. The details aren't really important, but the long and short of it is she asked me an out-of-left-field question, I had no idea what she was talking about and asked her to clarify, and she told me my research questions aren't relevant to the work I'm doing. Turns out she was taking offence to some of the terminology I used, because (as my adviser told me later) there is this stupid fine-grained distinction in her field between discerning speech and lexical access. Later in the lounge (again, informal, it's a BAR for chrissakes!) she felt the need to rub it in and told me my field isn't even in the realm of linguistics anyways (oh, I'm sorry, I don't count as a linguist because I use measurable data and, y'know, the scientific method instead of fairy stories?). rrrrgh what a jerklady. Everyone else was really nice to me about it and I know she's kind of a bum, but it was still humiliating.

BUT FUN THINGS. I started playing Digimon World Dusk on my acekard and it's the bees knees. Except I made a mistake at the beginning - I wanted Guilmon and somehow I have Goburimon. :(
And today I went for tasty tasty sushi and the sushiman gave me pocky. Also good grades on some of my midterms. Also also I converted another person to watch My Little Pony. Also also also today I played shadowrun and my character (a centaur codenamed "Razor Hooves" with electric shock/stun horseshoes) took out like three guys all by herself didn't kill them but gave them all hoof shaped "brands" on their butts XD.
Daylight savings means I get to sleep in. Hooray.

TLDR; I made muffins yesterday. They are apple/pear with fall spices and fresh ground ginger.

Jacq

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh hey I got accepted to present my research at the BWTL 15 conference! (Stands for "Bilingual Workshops in Theoretical Linguistics"). Neat!

I couldn't find any up-front funding, and $900 is a bit steep to go cross-country for the weekend, but... Well, the things we do to get into grad school, right?

And then Flash totally broke ten thousand times and I had to rebuild my entire threshold experiment. Booooo.