Konaka Tweets... Something about Tamers?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Chiaka Konaka responded to a fan inquiry regarding more Digimon Tamers with a 'no' despite his efforts on it.

He suggests some degree of hope for 'something' in the summer since it's the anniversary, but with no specific mention of what it is.

Nothing really newsworthy to post, but since people kept asking...

This would also seem to suggest that the people hoping that the Japanese Digimon community site opening on April 1st (the anniversary of Tamers) being timed with some announcement is unlikely.

The Spoiler text has an embed of the tweet in case it vanishes:

Attachments

Acadow

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh...somehow ominous.

EnerGeo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
He specifically said: no animation. The most optimistic thing we could expect is the continuation of the 2018 CD drama.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll be delirious bold and suggest a game adaptation a la Adventure PSP.

MagicBox

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, as EnerGeo said, animation (theatrical or televised) is off the table. Even a "small" project similar to the Adventure 20th Memorial shorts would be a massive undertaking. I wouldn't even expect a continuation of the 2018 CD drama. That always seemed like a one-off "Let's just have fun and make a pilot for a show that'll never exist" thing, and Konaka even commented that he only crafted that story based on which members of the original voice cast were readily available. That may not even be the "vision" he wants to commit to for an official continuation.

If anything *does* happen, I wouldn't expect anything bigger than a short panel at the next Digi-Fes. Maybe a cast reunion or a live reading of a short skit or something. Maybe a couple of anniversary illustrations on the official Twitter accounts. That seems par for the course for them right now.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm definitely down for another Tamers outing. The Days Drama Concept was interesting. I wouldn't mind following up on that.

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Perhaps a novel, or manga continuation instead?

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think its something way smaller than most people expect
If i had to guess, id say that theyll make Guilmon and Impmon "EX DiMs" for VB, and like the agu and gabumon ones have it be anime themed

Darkrai848

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think its something way smaller than most people expect
If i had to guess, id say that theyll make Guilmon and Impmon "EX DiMs" for VB, and like the agu and gabumon ones have it be anime themed
Would love a guilmon Dim! Another option I would like would be a 20th d-ark. Just take the 15th d-ark add a few Digimon or something and sell it again.

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tamers Sequel LN perhaps? Tamers sequal one shot manga?
Tamers Sequel movie? I mean I feel a movie is unlikely since Konaka ruled out animation, so I guess there could be some special anniversary stage show?

Random other idea just hit me what if it was something like Chronicle X?

Last edited:

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tamers Sequel movie? I mean I feel a movie is unlikely since Konaka ruled out animation, so I guess there could be some special anniversary stage show?

I'd certainly take a Tamers LN.
Not that I know much about the industry, but the investment/turnover on LNs can't be that risky surely?

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like any expectation of a full-on project is far, far out there. I'm hedging my bets on something like, a stream of Tamers episodes with commentary like the recent Kizuna outing. We got the show on Blu-ray, a recreation of Takato's card tin, and a bunch of figures (Leomon and Juri! Leomon and Lopmon Crane King plushes!) for the fifteenth anniversary. Those things didn't have blow-away sales, so it's probably best to keep outlooks in check.

I'm glad Konaka doesn't feel burdened to talk with overzealous Digimon fans(or Lain fans).

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Perhaps a novel, or manga continuation instead?

A manga or light novel of some kind seems like it could be a good idea. Not quite an animation but still a visual medium with a story to tell.

I wonder why Digimon doesn't do more of these, tbh.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll be delirious bold and suggest a game adaptation a la Adventure PSP.
They can't even release Survive, never mind a Tamers game. They still doing that next Story game as well. Three at once seems overkill. They should release the two games theyre currently working on rather than add a third in.

A drama CD at best, probably.

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Muur Maybe THAT'S why Survive keeps getting delayed X)

Tarama

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The best expectation I can have now is Tamers Trio cards in Digimon Card Game.

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A manga or light novel of some kind seems like it could be a good idea. Not quite an animation but still a visual medium with a story to tell.

I wonder why Digimon doesn't do more of these, tbh.
I wonder why as well I mean obviously as a member of the fandom it feels like a no brainer but then again I feel in the past when they've tried to step away from the standard anime format it hasn't done as well. I mean I know there's many factors and Anime has a slightly better reach especially in the current streaming era. However past manga things have been used to promote specific Vpets which tend to have a relatively short life span since it feels shortly after they are released the next one is announced (or even before they are released) NEXT started off using ICs and I think there was some Digimon Mini involvement but i can't recall. Only for near the end things to upgrade to the Twins and that was that.

The Chronicle manga was a mini thing sold with the Pen Xs right? prolly not the best marketing campaign making people buy how many Vpets just to complete the story. I have nothing against something like NEXT that promoted the vpets while still being its own stand alone story but forcing you to buy something more than around 10 usd just for a mini comic that doesn't feel like its worth the story.

Light novel I'm not sure why they haven't dipped their toes into that area but maybe one day I feel it could be something that would be well received especially if we are approaching yet another dreaded Gap . I pray we aren't but being a fan since season 1 started airing in the states I am naturally worried that we have a gap about 6 months out.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It'd be nice to get something. ...Maybe if this thing goes well he can get them to try a movie or something sometimes before the year ends. Say, an OVA adaptation. Then maybe they can make a movie after that.

Ultimamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I could be onboard with a novel. Mainly because I feel Toei these days wouldn't really deliver a satisfying product, even with Konaka onboard. The recent handlings of a number of their resurrected franchises (including Digimon) resulting in a mixed quality being a factor for me.

He'd have a bit more freedom in that regard.