Kizuna in US Theaters in March Subbed & New TV Series Accidentally Announced Early?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kizuna in US Theaters in March Subbed & New TV Series Accidentally Announced Early?

This is a fun one...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The wait to see Kizuna in the US will be pretty short.

Toei has announced that Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna will be in US theaters on March 25th!

Done via Fathom for one night, Kizuna will be screened on March 25th at 7pm in Japanese with English subtitles.

Tickets go on sale February 7th.

Also they list a couple extras for the screenings...

It will include 15 minutes of extras including interviews with the creators of Kizuna (Director Tomohisa Taguchi and Chief Animation Director Seiji Tatsukawa are specifically listed)...

and it also lists a trailer for a new Digimon TV series... which hasn't been announced yet...

No further detail on the new TV series, but it looks like it's gonna be a good year for Digimon fans (and if we are already getting a trailer, it does make you wonder how quickly the show will be coming.)

Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna, the 20th Anniversary film for Digimon Adventure, comes out February 21, 2020 in Japan.

A month wait to see it in US theaters isn't bad at all. The total Fathom runtime shows as 1 hour and 45 minutes.

No news on a dub of Kizuna for now but hopefully it won't be a long wait.

It's possible the new TV show will be announced in the upcoming Digimon livestream, so we will see.

KiriGuy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hoping for a UK release too really soon, at this point I doubt there’ll be an online release and I really don’t want to wait that much longer for it.

New TV series sounds hype though maybe that was the shocking news we were gonna get at the end of the month, Have to wait and see.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Considering it's an American event it could just be an appmon dub

hoping a kizuna dub comes soon.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m not really familiar with Fathom Events, do they air at several theaters or do they have their own chain? If they offer something close to me I will totally try to go!

I’m excited by the prospect of a new Digimon anime too. I might be more excited about Digimon games nowadays, but it has been a while since Appmon and I’m raring for another Digimon show at this point!

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess the most interesting news comes from the blandest images.
I haven't really been considering the possibility of a sudden new Anime but I'm actually quite optimistic about it. They have been experimenting a lot with Different formats with tri and Kizuna and I'm kinda wondering if maybe for the next TV Anime they might go with something else than a year long series. Maybe something like 26 episodes with a more focused plot would be nice.

Also the Screenign being subbed... could just be them not wanting the super impatient fans left behind while they are working on the dub... or maybe they are looking to see how much people they can pull without much dub nostalgia which would put me in higher hopes.

Considering it's an American event it could just be an appmon dub
I think a Kizuna screening, especially if it's subbed would attract basically no one from Appmon's target audience, so that wouldn't be much of a logical movie. If it's only a quick trailer they might put it on "just because" but it would still be a weird choice.

Last edited:

Gaomon Women

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This sounds very intresting.
Could Kizuna be the prequel of that TV Series? I guess... ?
Omg can't wait.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That would be great to have a new series. ...I might be OK if we get an Appmon dub but hey, let's see how big this announcement is.

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Trying not to get too excited in the case it really is just an Appmon dub announcement.

I have a few different hopes for the next series, but I’ll just be patient to see if we really are getting one this year.

VanChizzle

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, nice. Trying not to get my hopes up either...

*internally yelling for joy*

Spongebond

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyone know if an Australian release is likely?

Last edited:

drtomoe123

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m not really familiar with Fathom Events, do they air at several theaters or do they have their own chain? If they offer something close to me I will totally try to go!

I’m excited by the prospect of a new Digimon anime too. I might be more excited about Digimon games nowadays, but it has been a while since Appmon and I’m raring for another Digimon show at this point!
Fathom Events are usually shown through one of the big chains. Ghibli, Gundam: Char's Counterattack, Weathering With You...I live in the literal middle of nowhere and I've got two theaters that participate within an hour or so drive. Try putting in your ZIP here and see if you've got anything nearby.

Anyways, this is AWESOME to hear! I'm gonna try to catch it while I'm in Sapporo next year but I'll definitely see it again in the States. Really interesting to hear about the news of a new TV series. :3

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mmm, I'll wait for a dub, but it was nice to see the finale of Tri in theaters.

VanChizzle

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also wonder if they'll have a Canadian release for Kizuna...

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just subbed? well good luck making money on that.

I hope the new t.v series is not adventure and i hope it uses budget of kizuna.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Tbf there will prob be a bunch of people who go thinking it's dubbed and will be surprised when it starts playing.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episodes of a tv series won't have the budget of Kizuna (or even Tri's films budget).

In itself, Toei is cheap regarding its animation in TV. Maybe a few episodes will have good animation, but most will be below average.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episodes of a tv series won't have the budget of Kizuna (or even Tri's films budget).

In itself, Toei is cheap regarding its animation in TV. Maybe a few episodes will have good animation, but most will be below average.
Sad to hear, either way I'm excited

Kureisan28

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Tbf there will prob be a bunch of people who go thinking it's dubbed and will be surprised when it starts playing.
Yeah I see what you mean. Even though there are some fans here that are aware of the original version and are excited to see the subbed film first, others like the dub fans can be caught off guard if they forgot the part that it’s subbed.

I do sense that it’s common for anime films to get dubs months later with planning stages set sometime after the Japanese release or a few months later depending on the licenses and companies’ outlook on the market outside of Japan. So nothing’s set yet for Kizuna as production is almost done anyway (final touches and retakes on the voiceover).

It’ll be interesting to see how the sub plays out on March 25. I think we’ll get the dub eventually, just depends on the attention in America that warrants it. Like sometime later this year or the next (hopefully the 5 memorial shorts that gets sent with the film to be dubbed too).

That and hopefully the new Digi-Rap song isn’t considered for this film like the Tri films when they attempted that. Because Toei USA now knows that we dig the Butter-Fly song more than the English theme no matter how nostalgic and cheesy fun that was (just glad Saban isn’t around to butcher it).

Last edited:

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Yeah I see what you mean. Even though there are some fans here that are aware of the original version and are excited to see the subbed film first, others like the dub fans can be caught off guard if they forgot the part that it’s subbed.

I do sense that it’s common for anime films to get dubs months later with planning stages set sometime after the Japanese release or a few months later depending on the licenses and companies’ outlook on the market outside of Japan. So nothing’s set yet for Kizuna as production is almost done anyway (final touches and retakes on the voiceover).

It’ll be interesting to see how the sub plays out on March 25. I think we’ll get the dub eventually, just depends on the attention in America that warrants it. Like sometime later this year or the next (hopefully the 5 memorial shorts that gets sent with the film to be dubbed too).

That and hopefully the new Digi-Rap song isn’t considered for this film like the Tri films when they attempted that. Because Toei USA now knows that we dig the Butter-Fly song more than the English theme no matter how nostalgic and cheesy fun that was (just glad Saban isn’t around to butcher it).
The shorts would be a nice bonus for a dub Kizuna DVD.