Kizuna Box Office Numbers

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

With the weekend over we are starting to get some more solid box office numbers for Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna.

The numbers were delayed by a day because Monday was a holiday in Japan.

Some quick context.

tri. Part 1 when it came out was on 10 screens and sold roughly 36,000 tickets for its opening weekend. Based on the exact numbers different sites used, it made roughly between $356,000 and $480,000 that opening weekend.

Opening weekend in this case being 'just' Saturday and Sunday. tri. opened on Saturday, and weekend numbers for Japan are of those 2 days, even if a film opens on Friday.

Kizuna being an actual movie instead of an OVA with a theatrical release, it opened wider, but was still a reasonably limited release of 48 screens.

For the weekend (Sat/Sun) we don't have the 'actual' numbers for Kizuna yet, just estimates, which is 65,000,000 yen ($586,000.)

Kizuna opened on Friday, and there was the Monday holiday, and we 'do' have the actual number for the full 4 day period, which is 127,630,400 yen ($1.2 million) and sold 78,437 admissions. It's past the halfway mark on outgrossing tri. Part 1 from it's first 4 days.

Overall nothing crazy, but a reasonably impressive showing for the first extended weekend the film is out.

In addition, Filmmarks, one of the larger movie review services in Japan, has Kizuna being the most positively user reviewed film (out of 11) to come out last weekend. It's average at the moment is 4.16 out of 5, a solid B.

A few different users who were in theaters in Japan have also said trying to get theater goods was like a madhouse, with storms of people appearing and things being gone leaving behind some hair scrunchies and Patamon plush pass cases. (By Sunday it appears places were having issues with any form of restocking.) Even the online store that was stocking the items has only now begun to show a number of items are orderable again (with many still listed as sold out.)

Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna, the 20th Anniversary film for Digimon Adventure, is out in Japan and comes out March 25th in the US.

Thanks to Corpse for the numbers and Film Magazine Filmaga for the review info.

Update- Weekend 2. Coronavirus fears and many things shutting down did knock around the box office a bit for all movies, but Kizuna has done alright.

It's 2nd weekend numbers were 32,197,700 yen and in total since day 1 it's done 196,270,300 yen ($1.8 million.)

It should still likely pass the top grossing portions of tri. in the next few days, but it's hard to gauge at the moment since theaters could close, etc.

Some other coronavirus related effects on the box office for anime...

Shirobako opened for the weekend and got knocked around a bit more than expected. It had over 3x the theaters of Kizuna, had been waited for for a number of years and didn't quite pull out much more than Kizuna did its first few days.

Also, a number of expected to be decent performing films have been delayed, most notably a new Doraemon film, the new Pixar movie Onward, and Mulan.

Update- Weekend 3. It's 3rd weekend drop was actually quite small overall, especially compared to other films.

It's 3rd weekend numbers were 22,680,400 yen and in total since day 1 it's done 244,336,900 yen ($2.3 million.)

At this point it appears to have passed each part of tri.

Weekend 4 includes a decent theater expansion, possibly due to a number of releases being delayed due to coronavirus.

Attachments

Last edited:

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good to see the film doing well! Hopefully it keeps it up!

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Always new it would do well. Can't wait to see it on the 7th of March.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Surprised it actually got positive. So much more than Tri movies. Obviously I know reasons for that... But I'm even more surprised all items sold out so faster than before eh? Digimon is totally loaded with all money! Good for Digimon!

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Merchandise selling out like that is pretty expected at this point honestly, we've seen the demand just kept growing during after the tri.-era (I guess in a way, it's more just that more and more products were made to meet the untapped demand). It's only natural that things would be even hotter for Kizuna. There's still plenty of time and avenues for the movie itself to raise revenue, but it's great to see it is doing well even if it's not anything too out of line with expectations.

Surprised it actually got positive. So much more than Tri movies. Obviously I know reasons for that... But I'm even more surprised all items sold out so faster than before eh? Digimon is totally loaded with all money! Good for Digimon!
Wasn't tri. praised heavily when it first came out? I mean I doubt anyone going to watch either Part 1 or Kizuna during the opening weekends would've been the type to be displeased either way since they'd be hardcore Digimon fans.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah but it seemed Kizuna got even way more popular than Tri... I agree with hardcore fans part.

frankiemon827

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad that it is doing really well. I have watched it twice already and might go see it again:)

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah but it seemed Kizuna got even way more popular than Tri... I agree with hardcore fans part.
We don't know how the merchandise of Tri Part 1 sold at first. In general, there was a good amount of merchandise for Tri (there was people complainig about this in this forum), so it should be a good demand.

The box office can't be compared, because there are a lot more theatres for Kizuna (and Kizuna doesn't have a online broadcast in crunchyroll).

So, it is difficult to say that Kizuna is more popular than Tri.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Then few days or months later will reveal next new statistics? Okay I don't remember there was a mention of Tri merchandise sales. Maybe I skipped it or missed somehow?

frankiemon827

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad that it is doing really well. I have watched it twice already and might go see it again:)
How did you watch it already?
I'm currently on holidays in Japan so I can go watch it anytime I want to:). Actually I planned this holiday around this time so I can be there in theater to see it:D

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How lucky. How nice. How is that awesome... D: I hope your holiday will be more wonderful than I thought.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm currently on holidays in Japan so I can go watch it anytime I want to:). Actually I planned this holiday around this time so I can be there in theater to see it:D
Smart move and good planning on your part. Is the movie everything I'm hoping for it to be ? Be careful aswell I heard there are some cases of the corona virus there as. So wash your hands lol.

frankiemon827

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Smart move and good planning on your part. Is the movie everything I'm hoping for it to be ? Be careful aswell I heard there are some cases of the corona virus there as. So wash your hands lol.
Thanks will do! Yes it is the digimon adventure sequel everyone's been waiting for:) although I won't spoil anything as you will be able to see it for yourself. Also they give you a free gift (paper folder) every time you see it in cinema (which I don't think Event Cinema do that) in Japan. So far I've gotten ones with Joe Kido and Gomamon:)

Amandil7

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy it's doing well I hope this means we get more Digimon stuff in general. :D

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks will do! Yes it is the digimon adventure sequel everyone's been waiting for:) although I won't spoil anything as you will be able to see it for yourself. Also they give you a free gift (paper folder) every time you see it in cinema (which I don't think Event Cinema do that) in Japan. So far I've gotten ones with Joe Kido and Gomamon:)
Thanks for the info look forward to watching it thanks. :)

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those sales figures are good, but somehow I expected it to be much higher! I thought the gap between it and Tri part 1 would be more extreme. I wonder if we will get ticket sale info for Kizuna when it is released overseas.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean there's a reason they're doing a modern reboot of Adventure now. They can make all that money on new figures of the 8 chosen children and who knows maybe new evolutions that are introduced for their partner Digimon.

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Toei screened the movie in more theatres then the opening would’ve been larger for sure, so it comes down to whether they didn’t expect demand to be high enough to warrant that or that they were worried about the cost of more theatres, so this result would be in line with whatever it is that they wanted. Whatever they get from this data and the (seemingly insane) amount of merchandise sales revenue, I’m sure they’ll be even more comfortable with investing more in Digimon.

Keep in mind that a full theatrical release for a Digimon movie would’ve been a completely wasteful move for any company without the success of tri. coming first to show them there is demand. I don’t want to go off Wikipedia numbers so I’ll need to do some research, but my understanding is the box office numbers for Digimon films dropped off of a cliff after the last Adventure movie so Kizuna may end up blowing past everything including overseas numbers and all that.

Last edited:

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good stuff, always love to hear positive news on digimon.