Jouji Yanami Has Passed, Original (Older) Gennai in Digimon Adventure

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Some sad news as we head towards thee nd of the year.

Joujiyanami_december14_2021.jpg

Voice actor Jouji Yanami has passed away according to Aoni Productions and Comic Natalie.

To Digimon fans Yanami would be best known as the original (older) version of Gennai from Digimon Adventure, a role he returned to in Zero-Two, Bokura no War Game, and the Adventure PSP game (many years later.) In addition, he also played Xuanwumon in Tamers, and returned to Digimon to play Karatenmon in Xros Wars.

Yanami had a long history as a voice actor, with a massive list of beloved characters. His list of roles in Dragon Ball alone are still well loved, including but not limited to being the Narrator, North Kaio (King Kai), Dr. Briefs, and he also filled in for Master Roshi. He continued in those roles until a dozen episodes into Dragon Ball Super, leaving for unspecified medical treatment.

He was 90 years old.

Thanks to a number of people for sending this in and ANN for additional information.

Messages from various people who knew Yanami & worked with him follow. We'll update as time allows.

Director Kakudou (2) (Director of Adventure and 02)- Director Kakudou wrote a small obituary for him on his blog. he talked about working with him over a decent period of time, the roles he knew of his, how for a decent period of time he didn't even realize one of his favorite characters was played by him, how Yanami was in his first movie. He also mentions that Gennai was designed to be played by Yanami from the beginning. He isn't sure, but he thinks directing him for the Adventure PSP game as Gennai once again was the last time they worked together. He enjoyed not just working with him, but listening to him. He ends by thanking him.

The Digimon Music Producer- Please have fun with your friends in heaven, Mr. Jouji Yanami. Thank you very much. I pray for your soul.

Cher Watanabe (Music composer, arranger, etc. for much of Digimon)- Gennai. Thank you.

Attachments

• Joujiyanami_december14_2021.jpg
    Joujiyanami_december14_2021.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 7,453
Last edited:

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Always a sad thing to hear. Rest in Peace.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh damn, Professor Yumi is dead. RIP.

He continued in those roles until a dozen episodes into Dragon Ball Super, leaving for unspecified medical treatment
This doesn't shock me as he'd previously stopped doing a bunch of his roles by the late aughts, I know the last time he voiced Benkei was very early 2000s for instance.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's sad. But he did a lot of voices. Very impressive.

Brodul

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rest in peace

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Today I learned about him. It's not surprising he was in both Digimon and Dragon Ball Z as both are Toei shows. May he rest in peace.

VamAngemon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

We will remember.