Joe Motiki- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As far as I'm aware you have a large amount of interest in music.

You probably didn't know, but the japanese theme to Medabots was actually sung by Metabee.

Is that something you would have liked to do if they had gone that way?

Joseph Motiki

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=5399.msg69495#msg69495 date=1192162742]
As far as I'm aware you have a large amount of interest in music.

You probably didn't know, but the japanese theme to Medabots was actually sung by Metabee.

Is that something you would have liked to do if they had gone that way?
[/quote]

I didn't know that the Japanese voice behind Metabee performed the opening theme as well. If Nelvana had wanted me to record the English-version Medabots theme song, I would have definitely been down. That said, I've got to say that I love the one that exists - it's high energy and it really pumps me up. I don't know if you've heard the opening theme to Spider Riders, but a lot of people thought I was performing the rap in it ... that theme song rocks out as well.

During the first season of Medabots on Fox Kids, the promo guys from the network had Samantha Reynolds (the original voice of Ikki) and I perform on an original song called the Metabee Bop which was used for commercials on Fox. We recorded our vocals separately and it made me laugh when I saw the finished product, more so because of the "mature" lyrics I'd spit out in Metabee's voice when we were recording. It was a little blue Chaos, and I'm not surprised it didn't make the final cut.

Clogon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow can't beleive I missed this. Are you still answering questions? If you are, I'd like to know which episode of medabots you liked working on the most and which one was your favorite when watching the finished product? Also is there a way I can get my hands on the Medabee Bop?

Joseph Motiki

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Clogon link=topic=5399.msg70168#msg70168 date=1192652071]
Wow can't beleive I missed this. Are you still answering questions? If you are, I'd like to know which episode of medabots you liked working on the most and which one was your favorite when watching the finished product? Also is there a way I can get my hands on the Medabee Bop?
[/quote]

Hey Clogon, I just signed in here tonight to see if my password still works. I'm heading out of town for a bit, but I've got just enough time to cover you.

I've got to say that recording Medabots was a blast start to finish, but I really had a lot of fun watching the first season especially. Maybe because it was, well, the first season, but probably because the episodes were a little quirkier and we were discovering new things about the characters. There were lots of particular lines that made me howl throughout the series, but particular episodes that pop to mind was the two-parter where Ikki and Metabee essentially break up, then get back together to defeat Sumilidon after losing to him in the city championships. Also, the two-part episode where Metabee and Rokusho team up after we find Rokusho's pet bird (we discover Metabee has the Medaforce in that one if I'm remembering correctly). Also, I remember loving the episodes where Metabee battles the Rubberobos out in a canyon somewhere. It was the first time that Ikki's parents were along for an adventure, and Metabee has a scene that I played as a parody of Al Pacino's final scene in Carlito's Way, where Ikki eventually slaps him to knock him out of his stupor. There's other stuff I'm sure but those stand out.

As for the Metabee Bop ... no clue Clogon. Maybe you could write a nice letter to Fox and see if they've got some old promo betas lying around :)

SabreWulf

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hello Mr. Motiki, It's great that you are willing to take your free time and answer some of our fan questions.

I am in my senior year in high school, and I intend on going to school for voice acting. I've been told by many people that I have a very deep voice and would do well. My question is, what kind of schooling should I look into? Oh, and does VAing require a good ability to manipulate sounds?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll comment.

If you try and be a voice actor, you won't, period.

Try to be an ACTOR, and then if you can do that then you can go off and try and do voices.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mr. Motiki since we don't get a lot of stuff in the UK i can't say i've knowingly heard anything you've voice actored.

But out of the series you have done which is the best character you have played and would you like to play a character from another anime?

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just got to reading the rest of the posts, and it sounds like you're a pretty devoted fan yourself... (I feel a kinship here).

I remember several actors (like Mr. Depp) saying that they don't watch the work they act in, either because they'd be too judgmental of their performances or because it would just sound/feel weird to them. You obviously watch your own work, but does it ever sound/feel weird to you, knowing that you're hearing/seeing yourself play a part? Does it help to point out any things that you change for future performances?

The part about the guy who met you in the bar and said that you raised him was really touching. All too often it seems like people who start out with child audiences want to lose those audiences when they grow up or become 'big' by trying to push them away with an adult or 'mature' role in something, thinking that the general audience will now accept them and that they'll step out of the audience of kids. Unfortunately, all this does is make the person a role model for kids in a bad way (or 'too adult way for their current ages'), and, with me at least, leaves a bad taste about the actor/actress for shunning their work with kids in that way. It's nice to see someone who doesn't want to leave their kid audiences. No matter what you do, if you give it your best and respect your audience (especially the kids and the values you taught them), you'll do well with a fan following. You'll always have some support. Thank you. :]

Also, with those pictures, I noticed that you dressed up alot in the Crawlspace... (kinda forgot about that, although, for some reason, the Bod Squad is what I remember most). Did you like playing various parts like that? If you could, would you act in a superhero movie of some kind?

And just off the top of my head, do you have a favourite comic book character?

Shining Seraphimon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Joseph Motiki link=topic=5399.msg69371#msg69371 date=1192076258]
...and I've got a family game show running here in Canada on YTV.
[/quote]
Are you referring to Game Gurus?
If so, wow! I didn't even realize that was you. I remember watching you non stop on TVO and I remeber all the funny things you guys would do. I actually think I went to that Magic School Bus thing o_O And some sort of concert... With all the popular shows main characters singing songs or something.

Anyway, my question is Do you keep in touch with any of your old colleagues (I mean Voice actors, directors, or TVO kids hosts)?