Jeff Nimoy- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

ivysaur12

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

Were there any voice actors (besides Cherrymon :p) that were just a pain to get just right for some of the actors?

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=ivysaur12 link=topic=1647.msg27192#msg27192 date=1167271180]
Were there any voice actors (besides Cherrymon :p) that were just a pain to get just right for some of the actors?
[/quote]

The cat from the movie. What a royal pain in the (neck)! Terry O'Malley was obsessed with her cats, and no matter who we got to do a simple "meow," she kept saying, "My cats wouldn't sound like that." Whatever. Finally I made her get in the recording booth and do it herself. I think when it was all said and done, I put the original track of me back in the movie and as predicted, she never knew the difference.

As the week is winding down, I have to get back to my busy schedule so try to get your questions in soon, because by the weekend, I might be too busy to answer again. It's been great reflecting on Digimon, and I want to thank you all for your questions. Keep them coming, and I'll try to answer as many as possible before I get busy again. -Jeff

Stuart444

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I'll just ask this now since i will be curious when you stop answering these questions...

what is your busy schedule like just now, as in what are you doing more or less when you get your ahem, busy schedule back to normal >_>

sorry if that sounds confusing, I am not good at phrasing questions and that

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Stuart444 link=topic=1647.msg27225#msg27225 date=1167278461]
I'll just ask this now since i will be curious when you stop answering these questions...

what is your busy schedule like just now, as in what are you doing more or less when you get your ahem, busy schedule back to normal >_>

sorry if that sounds confusing, I am not good at phrasing questions and that
[/quote]

No, I think I understand. Right now we are on Christmas break from Zatch Bell, so I'm home writing, but next week we're back in the studio to record the voices. When that happens, I record all day, write at night, and also on the weekends. So you can see why I get so busy.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I know there were a couple of them in 01, but the tradition of having episode titles be puns (often ones kids would have little to no idea to know) really got hot and heavy in 02 and ended up being used even after you left in tamers and frontier. i was curious if you know who (or if it was you) who started using puns ALOT for episode titles, and if you had any favorite episode titles that were based on other stuff?

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=1647.msg27241#msg27241 date=1167282692]
I know there were a couple of them in 01, but the tradition of having episode titles be puns (often ones kids would have little to no idea to know) really got hot and heavy in 02 and ended up being used even after you left in tamers and frontier.  i was curious if you know who (or if it was you) who started using puns ALOT for episode titles, and if you had any favorite episode titles that were based on other stuff?
[/quote]

I think Bob started it, because he was really into puns, but Terry (O'Malley, the producer) liked it and ran with it. I'm pretty sure she picked most of the titles, which would make sense since it continued after Bob and I left.

ivysaur12

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Terry seems like she's quite the woman.

You've mentioned some stuff about the movie. Who's idea was it to make all three movies connected? Hurricane Touchdown (the third part) was also severly cut in some sections, and it seemed sort of tacted on and forced to work with the other two movies. Looking back, how do you feel about how the movie turned out?

You also worked on Diaboromon Returns, right? (or maybe I'm reading the original post incorrectly) What did it feel like being brought back for one last hurrah at Digimon?

Stuart444

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=ivysaur12 link=topic=1647.msg27268#msg27268 date=1167291660]
Terry seems like she's quite the woman.

You've mentioned some stuff about the movie. Who's idea was it to make all three movies connected? Hurricane Touchdown (the third part) was also severly cut in some sections, and it seemed sort of tacted on and forced to work with the other two movies. Looking back, how do you feel about how the movie turned out?

You also worked on Diaboromon Returns, right? (or maybe I'm reading the original post incorrectly) What did it feel like being brought back for one last hurrah at Digimon?
[/quote]

You can find my really detailed answers to your questions in the Chris Feely interview. http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/cast_crew/nimoy2.htm

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Stuart444 link=topic=1647.msg27302#msg27302 date=1167313905]
my friend said according to ANN (animenewsnetwork) you were in outlaw star. is that right?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=423

just interested because well, lets just say you could consider me an Outlaw star fanboy >_>
[/quote]

I was just called in to play bit parts in a few episodes, but I couldn't tell you which parts or which episodes. Things like THUG A, COP 1, and maybe a guest star or two.

Stuart444

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Jeff Nimoy link=topic=1647.msg27320#msg27320 date=1167325405]
[quote author=Stuart444 link=topic=1647.msg27302#msg27302 date=1167313905]
my friend said according to ANN (animenewsnetwork) you were in outlaw star. is that right?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=423

just interested because well, lets just say you could consider me an Outlaw star fanboy >_>
[/quote]

I was just called in to play bit parts in a few episodes, but I couldn't tell you which parts or which episodes. Things like THUG A, COP 1, and maybe a guest star or two.
[/quote]

I dont care, you still played a part in it ^_______^ me ish happy now, thanks that is all my questions. take care and dont stress yourself out to much with your work ^^

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

My last question before you gotta get to busy to answer like this 'thinks of a good one'

Davis and Veemon had a great sort of best friend relationship where while they were best friends they constantly sorta argued and talked back to eachother which came thru especially well in the dub (part of the reason i really really hope you do work on savers is masaru and agumon have that same sort of relationship, just more so), so my last question before you get busy is an easy 2fer- who do you think could eat more on an empty stomach at a buffet, davis or veemon, and which do you think could out argue the other between davis and veemon.

thanks for being here the last 2 weeks answering all these questions from people on a daily basis, i know we all appreciate it, the thread will still be here for if you ever decide you wanna look in for questions again

and im definately looking forward to the first few bobobo dvds coming out in early 2007 with your dub on them and an uncut subbed version also, i really look forward to seeing what sort of changes you made, especially since what little ive seen of bobobo is dubbed and i enjoyed it quite a bit

thanks again jeff, and anyone else who has questions should probably ask quickly

Flarg

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I just wanted to say thanks for coming here and answering people questions, Jeff. You're really cool to do that. Ooh and thanks for working on Digimon, my favorite show as a kid, you did a very good job on that as well.

I guess I'll ask a question.

Who was the one character from Digimon that you liked voicing for or writing for the most?

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=1647.msg27547#msg27547 date=1167390015]
My last question before you gotta get to busy to answer like this 'thinks of a good one'

Davis and Veemon had a great sort of best friend relationship where while they were best friends they constantly sorta argued and talked back to eachother which came thru especially well in the dub (part of the reason i really really hope you do work on savers is masaru and agumon have that same sort of relationship, just more so), so my last question before you get busy is an easy 2fer- who do you think could eat more on an empty stomach at a buffet, davis or veemon, and which do you think could out argue the other between davis and veemon.

thanks for being here the last 2 weeks answering all these questions from people on a daily basis, i know we all appreciate it, the thread will still be here for if you ever decide you wanna look in for questions again

and im definately looking forward to the first few bobobo dvds coming out in early 2007 with your dub on them and an uncut subbed version also, i really look forward to seeing what sort of changes you made, especially since what little ive seen of bobobo is dubbed and i enjoyed it quite a bit

thanks again jeff, and anyone else who has questions should probably ask quickly
[/quote]

Zatch Bell could out eat both Davis and Veemon combined.  Other than that I have no idea who would eat or argue more.

The two BoBo-Bo's I wrote that stick out in my mind is the Christmas episode where one character has to sell churos to pay for Christmas gifts.  A LOT different from the Japanese.  Another one I love is the introduction of Torpedo Girl.  Check them out.  I heard BoBo-Bo is doing a second season, but I'm not involved.

Thanks again for inviting me Marc.  It's been a blast!

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Flarg link=topic=1647.msg27594#msg27594 date=1167414165]
I just wanted to say thanks for coming here and answering people questions, Jeff. You're really cool to do that. Ooh and thanks for working on Digimon, my favorite show as a kid, you did a very good job on that as well.

I guess I'll ask a question.

Who was the one character from Digimon that you liked voicing for or writing for the most?
[/quote]

I liked voicing Tentomon a lot, but my favorite role never made it to the air. It was one of Ken's first episodes and I played someone asking for his autograph. I played him like Jerry Lewis and people were cracking up after playback. But for some reason Terry said she promised that character (who only had one scene) to some other actor, so she recast it. Little piddly things like that happened a lot at the end of my run, and eventually led to me leaving the show altogether.

Another thing I loved was doing what's called a scratch track. It's where, once the writing is finsihed, Bob and I voiced every character so the sound effects guys and the musicians could get a head start on production before the final voices were recorded. We would split up the parts and just let the show run, catching all the voices on the fly. So in effect, I've actually played almost every character at least once.

I think my favorite character to write for was Joe, but he never really had enough story line to get anything going. So I would probably have to say Davis was my favorite to write for.

Flarg

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Thats awesome, Jeff. I'd love to hear some of those scratch tracks, I imagine those are pretty fun.

Well I hoped you enjoyed your stay here and maybe you'll return. I hope you dont get too busy. And it'd be really cool if you were involved with Digimon again.

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

:] Thanks for answering our questions and being such a great guy about it!

As for a good question this time: If Adventure and/or 02 actualy gets released on dvd as entire series', what are the chances of that Jerry Lewis part and the scratch track being included as dvd extras? ;] I think that'd be great to listen too.

Stuart444

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

well, I guess one more thing I will say....

thanks for coming here and please do come back during any of your breaks. I can say for DAMN sure that you will be welcomed here by everyone everytime you come, you never know, maybe next time, we will have more questions ^_~ XD

thanks for everything. I hope everything goes well for you in the future, take care of yourself

- Stu

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=CyberDramon link=topic=1647.msg27599#msg27599 date=1167414999]
:] Thanks for answering our questions and being such a great guy about it!

As for a good question this time: If Adventure and/or 02 actualy gets released on dvd as entire series', what are the chances of that Jerry Lewis part and the scratch track being included as dvd extras? ;]  I think that'd be great to listen too.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, once the shows are mixed and shipped to the network, the past takes are all trashed.  I would love to hear a scratch track we did to the movie though, where I'm improvising a generic song about Digimons going to America, to show the music department where I wanted a song, but I'm pretty sure none of the scratch tracks exist.  Too bad, they were good for a few laughs.

Xuchilibari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Thank you for spending some time on us... and well, before you fully go.... I have a last question to ask you.

In anime called "Gungrave"(Made by the same people who did Trigun.) There's a character in it named Bunji, who is supposedly based off of Wolfwood.  If the people who dubbed it asked you to do Bunji's voice, would you go for it?