Jeff Nimoy- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

Spiffy is Glory

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Information and Post Your Questions

[quote author=Jeff Nimoy link=topic=1647.msg26330#msg26330 date=1166913901]
I would have liked to see Joe get more screen time too. Like I said before, I would've liked to have seen all those first season guys get another season where we see them grow up.
[/quote]

Oh, definitely ditto (sorry, I really needed to comment XD). Joe has got to be one of my favorite characters of all five seasons, especially in the dub version. He's so cutely nerdy, and the way his personality developes in Adventure is simply astonishing (how he goes from total scaredy cat to the warrior-guardian-man of Mimi). Really, great job there for the dub, even if it's hard to remember. XD I, myself, haven't watched Adventure in quite some time, so my memory's a little blurred, as well.

Who was your favorite 02 character (aside from the Adventure cast), and who was your least favorite? Who was your least favorite of the Adventure crew? It doesn't necessarily mean that you dispised them or anything, but just in general, who were you least interested in?

Also, what'd you think of Ken and Yolei hooking up? And what'd you think of the 02 finale? Was it what you expected, or was did it catch you off-guard?

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Who was your favorite 02 character (aside from the Adventure cast), and who was your least favorite?  Who was your least favorite of the Adventure crew?  It doesn't necessarily mean that you dispised them or anything, but just in general, who were you least interested in?

Also, what'd you think of Ken and Yolei hooking up?  And what'd you think of the 02 finale?  Was it what you expected, or was did it catch you off-guard?
I guess I was least interested in TK for both seasons. Not much there for TK's personality, unless Davis was pushing his buttons. Davis was clearly my favorite, which is why I'm always so surprised that people think I hated him. Oh well. I like that Yolei hooked up with someone, ANYONE, and I liked Ken too, so I'm all for it. Yeah, I was really shocked (just as I was after season one) to find out that all these characters we just got to know were now gone!

Spiffy is Glory

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Jeff Nimoy, I love you. I want to have your babies. >D Haha, just kidding. I swear. XDD [/agrees with all points]

I meant to ask this before, but I forgot, so, this is my last question before I leave you to have some freetime. =3 What was your favorite couple that happened? What was your favorite couple that you wanted to happen, but didn't?

Thanks for taking time out to answer this. It's gargantuanly appreciated. *Nodnod*

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Spiffy is Glory link=topic=1647.msg26344#msg26344 date=1166916087]
Jeff Nimoy, I love you.  I want to have your babies. >D Haha, just kidding.  I swear. XDD [/agrees with all points]

I meant to ask this before, but I forgot, so, this is my last question before I leave you to have some freetime. =3  What was your favorite couple that happened?  What was your favorite couple that you wanted to happen, but didn't?

Thanks for taking time out to answer this.  It's gargantuanly appreciated.  *Nodnod*
[/quote]

My favorite couple? You mean romantically? I guess it's Tai and Sora (especially in the movie), which would make my least favorite pairing Matt and Sora. I would've liked to have seen Joe and Mimi hook up. Beauty and the brains.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

putting this here for a friend who is to shy to register and post it himself

Some popular anime programs have had US-written, JP-animated continuations produced for them over the years (Robotech, Voltron, etc.). If you were given the opportunity to write an original continuation of the 01/02 continuity without a source anime to worry about, would you take it and what do you think you would do with the characters if given that chance?

(as an addendum to the above)
Does writing original work hold much appeal to you, or do you feel more comfortable writing when everything is already there and you just gotta 'fix it up' for an english audience?

Quinnzel

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I notice Melissa Fahn and Dave Wittenberg (couple of my personal favorites) on your shorter list of Voice Actors both who appear in other projects of yours Naruto and Zatch Bell. I noticed that both of them appear the later seasons of Digimon, Tamers and Frontier. I'm assuming you weren't working with them at the time of the first two seasons of Digimon. However, if you had the choice to cast each of them as characters in the first two seasons, which roles would you have them play if any at all?

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=1647.msg26347#msg26347 date=1166916717]
putting this here for a friend who is to shy to register and post it himself

Some popular anime programs have had US-written, JP-animated continuations produced for them over the years (Robotech, Voltron, etc.). If you were given the opportunity to write an original continuation of the 01/02 continuity without a source anime to worry about, would you take it and what do you think you would do with the characters if given that chance?

(as an addendum to the above)
Does writing original work hold much appeal to you, or do you feel more comfortable writing when everything is already there and you just gotta 'fix it up' for an english audience?
[/quote]

Well, unlike many writers in dubbing, I get hired a lot for original work. In fact, I just sort of fell into dubbing, and Digimon became so popular that companies kept wanting me to adapt their Japanese series for American audiences. But I much prefer writing original material over adaptation. And if a show wants to stick closely to the Japanese translation, chances are they won't hire me. Because of my writing background, I mostly get hired to write on shows that let the writers go in a different direction than in the original Japanese. A prime example of that is "Bo-BoBo" which pretty much let me do anything I wanted with the scripts. So if a show wanted me to work on an original continuation, I'd be all for it.

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Beo link=topic=1647.msg26350#msg26350 date=1166917498]
I notice Melissa Fahn and Dave Wittenberg (couple of my personal favorites) on your shorter list of Voice Actors both who appear in other projects of yours Naruto and Zatch Bell. I noticed that both of them appear the later seasons of Digimon, Tamers and Frontier. I'm assuming you weren't working with them at the time of the first two seasons of Digimon. However, if you had the choice to cast each of them as characters in the first two seasons, which roles would you have them play if any at all?
[/quote]

I knew Melissa from other projects I cast her in before Digimon, but I don't think I ever hired her for the series. I didn't meet Dave until after I left the series. I'd rather not say what parts I would've cast them in, because that would suggest the actors that did play those roles weren't as good. But rest assured, if I do any more animation, both Dave and Melissa, as well as all my other favorites will work for me again.

ivysaur12

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

Out of curiosity, have you seen Tamers, Frontier, and the Japanese version of Savers? If you have seen them, what did you think of them compared to Adventure and 02?

Cmdr Crayfish

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Thanks to GOC for asking for me, it's appreciated. My thanks especially to Jeff for taking the time out of his schedule (just before Christmas no less!) to do this.

Where did the decision to retain the original names for the Digimon cast (and simply giving many of them American-friendly nicknames) come from? Commercial anime at the time very rarely bothered retaining particularly Japanese names.

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=ivysaur12 link=topic=1647.msg26370#msg26370 date=1166920056]
Out of curiosity, have you seen Tamers, Frontier, and the Japanese version of Savers? If you have seen them, what did you think of them compared to Adventure and 02?
[/quote]

I never saw an episode after the end of season 2.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

ill add on to crayfishes question

...how did you end up keeping where the kids were from japan? i cant recall a single dub before that where japan was actually japan and not just 'generic unnamed city' or just 'generic city'

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Cmdr Crayfish link=topic=1647.msg26371#msg26371 date=1166920251]
Thanks to GOC for asking for me, it's appreciated. My thanks especially to Jeff for taking the time out of his schedule (just before Christmas no less!) to do this.

Where did the decision to retain the original names for the Digimon cast (and simply giving many of them American-friendly nicknames) come from? Commercial anime at the time very rarely bothered retaining particularly Japanese names.
[/quote]

Sometimes they told me the names, and sometimes they asked for name suggestions, but all those final decisions were made by Bandai and Toei animation.

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=1647.msg26374#msg26374 date=1166920337]
ill add on to crayfishes question

...how did you end up keeping where the kids were from japan?  i cant recall a single dub before that where japan was actually japan and not just 'generic unnamed city' or just 'generic city'
[/quote]

Actually I remember the first time that issue came up. It was when they had to take the train somewhere, and I actually suggested we either make it generic locations, or even make it American locations. It didn't make sense to me that these kids with American accents were living in Japan. But Toei Animation knew they would eventually incorporate kids from all over the world, so the decision was to leave it Japan, and ignore the fact that they all sound like they're from the midwest. One day I wouldn't mind seeing a series that takes place in Japan with the characters speaking with slight Japanese accents. This way, when they run into someone from America, they don't all sound exactly alike.

ivysaur12

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Thinking about that, Digimon World Tour must have been sort of a headache to get around.

the comp

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

i have a question, mr. nimoy. (good lord, i sound a reporter......)

have you thought about possibly trying to voice for savers when it's dubbed? i think you would be great as kamemon.

also, this isn't part of the question, but i like how you seem to be into digimon. alot of actors, voice or not, don't really care about thes eries there in and just do it for money. so i just think it's kinda cool.

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=the comp link=topic=1647.msg26427#msg26427 date=1166934385]
i have a question, mr. nimoy. (good lord, i sound a reporter......)

have you thought about possibly trying to voice for savers when it's dubbed? i think you would be great as kamemon.

also, this isn't part of the question, but i like how you seem to be into digimon. alot of actors, voice or not, don't really care about thes eries there in and just do it for money. so i just think it's kinda cool.
[/quote]

Well don't make me out to be a saint just yet. There are plenty of jobs I take where it is all about the money. But Digimon was special to me for many reasons, both professionally and personally, so when I see fans like all of you guys this into it, how can I not be happy to answer your questions? After all, if you never watched, and didn't make Digimon so popular, no one would have ever heard of Jeff Nimoy. The least I can do is answer a few questions.

And if I wind up being a part of the Savers production team, I will definitely play a role.

Kuronaruku

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dramon District, Desktop City, Modem, Digital Worl

Mr. Nimoy. Jeff. At the point where Agumon and Gabumon became War Greymon and Metal Garurumon, did you know that the others wern't going to obtain Mega Level, or were you as suprised as the rest of us when the series ended?

In addition, why do you think that they (Toei/Bandai), chose not to let them reach it? I really would have loved to hear "Hercules Kabuterimon!", if even for only the last episode.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. Your answers to these questions are much abliged, even if they aren't to my own.

digiboy123

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hello Jeff.

If you recall, Digimon season 1 had a DVD released that had the first 13 episodes. Do you know why they didn't continue releasing the series, or why the other seasons didn't get out on DVD/VHS fully either? It's a shame that Digimon is one of the few anime series that never was fully released to the fandom.

Thanks!

Guilmon470

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Ok another question, Jeff.(no screaming today XD) When you just began the Digimon Adventure series, did you ever imagine it'd go this far and have this many fans? Did you ever imagine that one day you'd be answering fan questions on a message board? Did you ever think you'd be this into it and it still be a popular choice years after?