lost in thought

Agent Provocateur
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Information and Post Your Questions

I think its about time I respond...

Welcome, Mr. Nimoy, it's a pleasure to have you on With the Will. Hopefully our members will treat you with the respect you deserve (I can't guarantee it, but I can damn well punish them if they lip off to you.) [/greeting]

And now to quote something that caught my eye...
[quote author=Jeff Nimoy link=topic=1647.msg26046#msg26046 date=1166801912]
Unfortunately the only anime I watch is the stuff I've worked on, so I don't really have a favorite. But I do love Trigun, in which I played Wolfwood.
[/quote]I never knew you voiced Wolfwood. Then again, I never thought to look at the cast list. It's really an honor and a pleasure to see that one of the vocal stars from my top favorite anime has come to the Will. Unexpected surprise, you sir have totally made my day with that.

Speaking of which, it's about time I break out those Trigun DVDs again, and watch them. Been far too long, and such will prevent me from continuing this any further and running the risk of venturing wandering thought into strange and confusing realms, that could serve to ruin your evening. If you have any problems with any forum members giving you grief, don't hesitate to shoot a PM off to me, those folk will be dealt with. (As in taken out back and shot.)

gerjomarty

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hello Jeff, first I'd just like to say that I'm eternally grateful for your huge contribution to making Digimon, which has entertained not only in America, but all over the world (UK Digimon fan here). So cheers for that!

I was wondering, what are the people in your industry generally like, like arrogant, quiet, dramatic, etc.? (No names, of course.)

Do you have any memorable anecdotes from the Digimon days you'd like to share with the fans?

Was any extra footage of the creation process of Digimon captured for something like extras on a DVD? (A proper Digimon DVD boxset is way overdue!)

Thanks Jeff. Loving your work.

Guilmon470

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

omg it's the Jeff O_O!!! *fangirl scream* You made Adventure so great for a Digimon fan :) !!!!! Also I have a question of course: In any time when you voiced Tentomon did you feel awkward? Like how Tentomon has his little Digi- accent? Nonetheless I loved your work!!!

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=rianmon link=topic=1647.msg26072#msg26072 date=1166812098]
Hi Jeff. I appreciate the work you did. Without the great job on Digimon, it's safe to say I wouldn't be here.

My question is on why were the "levels" changed? It doesn't seem to be an Americanization thing, and the Japanese levels were easy enough for 10 year old Japanese boys to understand. Here are the changes I'm talking about:

English     /    Japanese
Rookie     /    Child
Champion /    Adult
Ultimate   /    Perfect
Mega       /    Ultimate

It really made it a confusing clusterfuck to the fans. Was this a Fox translator's idea or Bandai America?
[/quote]

All those things came directly from Bandai to match whatever info they were putting out on the trading cards. Why they chose it, I don't know, I just had to stay consistent with them.

And thanks for the kind words. I appreciate you fans too.

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Vande link=topic=1647.msg26073#msg26073 date=1166812224]
Do you read any of the Digimon Manga at all? If not what sort of manga do you read if any at all.

(thanks for taking the time to answer the questions)
[/quote]

You're welcome. Sorry, I don't read any manga at all. I once read Ninja High School in order to adapt it into a live action film, but the movie fell through and was never made.

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=gerjomarty link=topic=1647.msg26152#msg26152 date=1166837201]
Hello Jeff, first I'd just like to say that I'm eternally grateful for your huge contribution to making Digimon, which has entertained not only in America, but all over the world (UK Digimon fan here). So cheers for that!

I was wondering, what are the people in your industry generally like, like arrogant, quiet, dramatic, etc.? (No names, of course.)

Do you have any memorable anecdotes from the Digimon days you'd like to share with the fans?

Was any extra footage of the creation process of Digimon captured for something like extras on a DVD? (A proper Digimon DVD boxset is way overdue!)

Thanks Jeff. Loving your work.
[/quote]

Thanks, I've met several UK fans and one day I hope to get invited to a London Con so I can meet many more.

People in my industry are like people everywhere, some good, some bad, with most of us somewhere in between.

Memorable anacdotes? Too many to list here, but if you search "Jeff Nimoy" on YouTube you'll find lots of tidbits from my con tour with Quinton Flynn this past year.

No extra footage of the creative process in America exists as far as I'm aware. Maybe they'll have some from Japan.

Thanks for watching. Cheers!

Xuchilibari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Okay I have a few questions for you Mr. Nimoy... or Jeff, which ever you prefer.

Do you have as much fun working on Zatch Bell and Naruto as you did while working on Digimon?  If not, then what do you think needs improvement?  Plus, who's your favorate voice actor?

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Guilmon470 link=topic=1647.msg26174#msg26174 date=1166845825]
omg it's the Jeff O_O!!!  *fangirl scream* You made Adventure so great for a Digimon fan :) !!!!!     Also I have a question of course: In any time when you voiced Tentomon did you feel awkward? Like how Tentomon has his little Digi- accent?  Nonetheless I loved your work!!!
[/quote]

Haha, relax, and try to breath.  No, I never felt awkward when voicing Tentomon, but I'm not sure you're aware that I wasn't the first voice for that character.  Before I joined the series as a writer/director (I joined around episode 14 or so), Joshua Seth was playing him, but the Tai character was bigger than they first realized, so they made him give up Tentomon.  They called me in to replace him, so I had to impersonate the character he created as close as possible.  Eventually I made the character my own, which is not uncommon when these things happen.  When I left the series, Bob Klein replaced me.  These things happen a lot.

You may now resume your screaming.

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Xuchilibari link=topic=1647.msg26201#msg26201 date=1166852898]
Okay I have a few questions for you Mr. Nimoy... or Jeff, which ever you prefer.

Do you have as much fun working on Zatch Bell and Naruto as you did while working on Digimon?  If not, then what do you think needs improvement?  Plus, who's your favorate voice actor?
[/quote]

Jeff is fine.

Naruto was work. Lots and lots of notes. Plus, I was over worked at the time, writing and directing several series simultaneously, and I couldn't enjoy anything, I just had to work all the time. Now that I'm just doing Zatch Bell, I enjoy the process a lot more, but I can't say anything was as enjoyable as season one of Digimon.

I have tons of favorite actors I like to work with. Just to name a few, Quinton Flynn, Dave Wittenberg, Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, Kate Higgins, Melissa Fahn, Wally Wingert, Michelle Ruff, and the list goes on and on.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I just thought of a question thats always kinda been in the back of my head.

Davis saying strip poker, who came up with that and how in gods name did you get it past the Fox Kids censors?

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=1647.msg26211#msg26211 date=1166853742]
I just thought of a question thats always kinda been in the back of my head.

Davis saying strip poker, who came up with that and how in gods name did you get it past the Fox Kids censors?
[/quote]

You have to remember I wrote parts of almost 100 scripts plus a couple of feature length movies, so my memory isn't able to recall exactly what you're talking about. I sort of remember the scene, and the line, but I don't remember who wrote it (although it sounds like me). There were rare times when we fought with the censors, and got our jokes through, but most times we didn't fight that hard because it was easier to just rewrite it. I don't remember a battle over that one. Maybe if you remind me of the context of the line, I could recall if there was a story behind it, but I don't think there is, sorry.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It was at Ken's X-mas party, they are figuring out what game to play and Davis goes 'strip pok' (gets cut off by someone else talking right there).

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I do remember now. The censor let us get away with it, because he got cut off.

Stuart444

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I have a question which has been in my mind for any dubber or even the original japanese guys who did this stuff.

What do you personally think of Fansubs of anime such as Digimon?

hope you don't mind answering ^_^ and much respect <3 for answering everything up til now ^-^

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Vande link=topic=1647.msg26238#msg26238 date=1166864588]
Who was your fave overall Digimon villian? *huggles vamdemon plushie*
[/quote]

I think Etamon, played hysterically by Richard Epcar.

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Stuart444 link=topic=1647.msg26252#msg26252 date=1166878666]
I have a question which has been in my mind for any dubber or even the original japanese guys who did this stuff.

hope you don't mind answering ^_^ and much respect <3 for answering everything up til now ^-^
[/quote]

I don't really watch the fansubs. I'm usually too busy. In fact, at some point I'll be too busy to answer these questions, but for now, I have a little time to do it. As far as the idea of fan subs go, I think it's all good, no matter how you want to express yourself as a fan.

Stuart444

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Jeff Nimoy link=topic=1647.msg26273#msg26273 date=1166888567]
[quote author=Stuart444 link=topic=1647.msg26252#msg26252 date=1166878666]

[/quote]

I don't really watch the fansubs. I'm usually too busy. In fact, at some point I'll be too busy to answer these questions, but for now, I have a little time to do it. As far as the idea of fan subs go, I think it's all good, no matter how you want to express yourself as a fan.
[/quote]

Oh, thanks for the answer, I apperciate it ^_^

oh well, thats PROBABLY all the questions I would have, take care and have a good christmas Jeff ^^

ivysaur12

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Were you a fan of the Sora and Matt pairing?

Were there any characters in Adventure that you wished has more airtime, or more development? Personally, I wasn't really that big of a fan of the fact that Palmon, Togemon, and Lilymon were underused and that Lilymon's entrance was particuarly unimpressive (I'm just stating a general dissapointment, nothing against the dub. I love dub Mimi and Palmon).

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=ivysaur12 link=topic=1647.msg26327#msg26327 date=1166912800]
Were you a fan of the Sora and Matt pairing?

Were there any characters in Adventure that you wished has more airtime, or more development? Personally, I wasn't really that big of a fan of the fact that Palmon, Togemon, and Lilymon were underused and that Lilymon's entrance was particuarly unimpressive (I'm just stating a general dissapointment, nothing against the dub. I love dub Mimi and Palmon).
[/quote]

No, I always wanted Tai and Sora to wind up together. Believe it or not, I wanted Tai to have even more airtime than he actually had. I thought he was the most well developed character, but it could've gone much further. I would have liked to see Joe get more screen time too. Like I said before, I would've liked to have seen all those first season guys get another season where we see them grow up.