Jeff Nimoy- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jeff Nimoy has graciously agreed to answer fans questions.

First things first

READ http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/cast_crew/nimoy2.htm , Chris Mcfeely interviewed him before, so please read thru that and don't repeat questions Chris asked him.

There is also a Jeff Nimoy fangroup where questions are answered at http://groups.myspace.com/jeffnimoyexperience , so you might wanna see if your question has already been answered.

Do not post rude or assholy questions, I will be going thru the questions and sending them to Nimoy every once in awile for him to answer so it is a waste of your time to post rude questions or stupid threats (negative questions are ok, but be polite, he doesn't have to do this)

He DID NOT work on Tamers, Frontier, or the Tamer or Frontier Movies, so I will toss out any questions related to those. He worked on 01, 02, and all 4 of the movies related to those 2 seasons.

Questions are to be posted in THIS thread will which be stickied, and I will go thru the thread picking out questions to send to him every once in awile, send them to him, and post answers in their own thread when i get them, each 'batch' of answers will get its own thread in this section of the forum.

Try and avoid the overly 'superfan' questions, it is doubtful he will remember every little detail from an episode like some of us tend to.

He does care about the fans and if you have questions about the dubs of 01 and 02 please do ask. (questions on ANY show hes worked on is fine to ask questions about though, but once again, he didnt work on Tamers or Frontier.)

Shadow King

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: WtW asks Jeff Nimoy- Information and Post Your Questions

This is where we post the questions, right? If so, my question would be:

In the many changes between Season One and Zero Two, what would you say was your favorite change?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

yes, just to make it doubly clear, this is the thread where you ask your questions, every once in awile i will send the questions along to him and post the answers in a seperate thread

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

In relation to what you said at Anime North 2006, why, O why, did you decide to.. umm... 'secretly chamption gay rights in childrens' cartoons' and write Izzy and Tentomon as gay lovers? ><; (I always thought something was funny with their scripting.. )

And as a second question, do you know who is handling the dubbing of Digimon Savers? (official actions from official places suggests that Savers is indeed getting dubbed, although no official announcement has been made on that yet. Don't ask me how I know that -it's classified.)

Third question: Would you at any time be attending Anime North again? :3 (I missed you the first time around, but Pan-chan got my 'gift' delivered. ;] Hope you enjoyed that, so by the way~ )

Silasmon X

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

To be completely frank, though respectful, many fans feel that Fox may have... mishandled the production of the first set of three movies. The Digi-rap felt mentally degrading at best, and Angela Anaconda is not an ideal Digimon icon. Not to mention, many scenes were outright cut from the third segment. In short, are you satisfied with how the movie as a whole ended up? What were some things you might have changed had you the chance?

Thanks!

Airdra

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Aside from the merging of the first three movies, were there any changes to the series that were forced on you by the higher-ups at Fox?

KoushiroIZZYIzumi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=CyberDramon link=topic=1647.msg25223#msg25223 date=1166487375]
In relation to what you said at Anime North 2006, why, O why, did you decide to.. umm... 'secretly chamption gay rights in childrens' cartoons' and write Izzy and Tentomon as gay lovers? ><; (I always thought something was funny with their scripting.. )[/quote]

Adding on to that question.... What was the response towards you after you said that you based the personalities of those two characters from gay partners? How do Digimon fans react to you now a days?

[size=5pt]I was disappointed....[/size]

*editied for annoying font* ~ Vande

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Information and Post Your Questions

"Well, what I said at Anime North is only partly true. ... It was shocking how many of the lines sounded like they were boyfriends. So after that I became aware of it, and for a little while there I was writing lines that if you just read it on the page, might have sounded like they were gay partners. But I never tried to voice the character that way. It was just my little joke with the engineers."

I think what I found the most weird out of those times is when Tentomon sounded normal and Izzy sounded awkward... >>;; that in itself made those lines seem weird..

"I'm not sure which gift was yours, but I appreciated all the gifts given to me by the fans this year. For those of you that don't know, Quinton Flynn and I did a North American tour of anime cons last year, and we got to meet a lot of the fans, which was great. You can see some of our tour on YouTube. Anyway, I don't know if we have any more time for cons in 2007, but you never know. Watch for announcements at our myspace fan group pages."

x] You're welcome~ (and it was those 'special' dvds, which I was hoping to give you more of at AN 2007.. ;_; ). If you could, when would you be back at another convention in Ontario?

"I was hired by the network to do a particular job, to change the original Japanese series into a fresh sounding American series. I know that pisses a lot of purists off, but you have to remember, TV is a business, and they were trying to sell lots and lots of toys and trading cards. ... Look at it this way though, because of the large audiences brought in by Digimon, there are now more pure animes on TV today. So there's something for everyone out there now."

Just out of curiosity, did you know at the time that there was a strategy card game for Digimon as well? (Digi-Battle) And if so, did you happen to play it at all? I didn't know that Digimon had a hand in getting more pure-animes out... Any more info you can give on that would be very interesting... Oo

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

think ill go ahead and ask my first one

Every once in awile in the first 2 seasons the show and the toys would have different names for characters, I know you didn't work on the toys, but there must have been some sort of communication to get them to match (since plenty of Digimon got names in the USA in the toys and show that were the same name, but not the original Japanese name), so how did the naming process go? Did you guys get a list of names from Bandai USA to choose from, did you guys choose them, or some other way? And any idea how some of the 'different' names for the same character happened? (I personally still remember some of the early toys from Season 2 where characters had wildly different names and Ken was called the 'Digimon Caesar')

Pazuzu

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Not as much a question as a statement plus question.

My friend already said this to you at Anime North, but I just want to say again that your adaptations didn't piss off all the fandom. I personally think the English dub was far more enjoyable than the Japanese version (and I speak Japanese, so it's not just a language barrier thing). So keep on truckin' and never be afraid to piss off a small niche of the fandom if it means a superior product.
Oh, and I'm also of the controversial opinion that, minus Angela Anaconda, the Digimon movie is actually better than the three Japanese ones that made it up. Especially the train wreck of a third movie, I don't know why people get so elitist over it.

And a question:
What do you find to be the hardest part of localisation/adaptation?

Fiascomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Statement and Question Time:

As much I hate the Adventure dubs' scripts (Which apparently you didn't fully control over) I still think that the majority of the dub voices themselves far surpass the original in almost every aspect. Seriously if the scripts were dropped of one-liners and Davis potshots I'd consider Digimon Adventure and 02 one of the best anime dubs. I say must say you did a great job for Return of Diaboromon and it really shows what would have happened if Fox Kids didn't have its way. Really you don't deserve all that flak because the guys at Fox Kids were all dunderheads, remember when they tried airing Escaflowne? That was almost as bad as Toonami airing Evangelion. :D

Anyway, as much I don't like the season does Disney have or getting the rights to air Savers, and if not who is?

Grimulfr

Phweet!
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I've always wondered where the name Yolei came from. When trying to find a new name to replace the Japanese "Miyako," Yolei is probably the last name that would come to my mind. =D In fact, it would seem to me that Yolei is actually a more difficult name for a children's cartoon than Miyako, so that makes me wonder if the name has some special meaning to the person who named her?

Jacq

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

As someone who's been knee-deep in the Americanization of anime early on, do you feel the "children's entertainment" industry has benefited or suffered from the huge influx of Eastern import cartoons over the last decade? Specifically, in terms of "Western" companies (such as Mainframe or Moonscoop) approaches to cartoon production?

Random Jacq
(and her random silly question)

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

"Anyway, as much I don't like the season does Disney have or getting the rights to air Savers, and if not who is?"

"A - ... As far as Savers goes, stay tuned."

Okay, hypothetical question time:

As of yet, the only Digimon anime stuff yet to air in North America, as far as I know, are the X-Evolution movie and Savers. Now the fact that X-Evolution has not aired yet, and is a feature-length film, would make it a great way to advertize that a series is coming back to TV. So if Savers were going to air in September or October of some year, and X-Evolution were going to be released before that as an announcement of sorts... if the planning for the release time of X-Evolution were up to you, hypotheticaly, what do you think would be the best time to release it?

In that same train of thought, I want to start my own business sometime soon (within the next 2 years or so). Would you mind if I ask you general questions about the industry, just to increase my knowledge of what happens in it, somewhat?

On a completely unrelated and random note, what if your favourite anime and/or manga to read/watch? ;]

Jeff Nimoy

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=CyberDramon link=topic=1647.msg26041#msg26041 date=1166794793]
"Anyway, as much I don't like the season does Disney have or getting the rights to air Savers, and if not who is?"

"A -  ... As far as Savers goes, stay tuned."

Okay, hypothetical question time:

As of yet, the only Digimon anime stuff yet to air in North America, as far as I know, are the X-Evolution movie and Savers. Now the fact that X-Evolution has not aired yet, and is a feature-length film, would make it a great way to advertize that a series is coming back to TV. So if Savers were going to air in September or October of some year, and X-Evolution were going to be released before that as an announcement of sorts... if the planning for the release time of X-Evolution were up to you, hypotheticaly, what do you think would be the best time to release it?

In that same train of thought, I want to start my own business sometime soon (within the next 2 years or so). Would you mind if I ask you general questions about the industry, just to increase my knowledge of what happens in it, somewhat?

On a completely unrelated and random note, what if your favourite anime and/or manga to read/watch? ;]
[/quote]

Hi Everyone. Jeff Nimoy here. I think this is actually the easiest way for me to answer your questions from now on (thanks Marc for posting all my previous answers, but I'll take it from here). I don't know how often I'll get a chance to answer all your questions, but I'll try to keep it as current as I can.

Anyway, I'm sorry but I won't be answering ANY Savers questions, so you might as well stop asking them (besides you're really gonna get tired of the answer "Stay Tuned"). Everyone knows the series is out there, and everyone wants to know the details of the dub, but at this point there's a giant gag order until the details are worked out. After things are worked out, I promise to answer questions, whether I'm involved in the series or not.

I'm really busy these days, so sometimes I'm going to ask you to look up the answers to your questions on the Jeff Nimoy Experience page or the Chris Feely interview because it just takes too long, and I already answered it once. Sorry. Anyway, you'll find the answers to your general industry questions on the Jeff Nimoy Experience pages under the Ask Away topic. Good luck in your career.

Unfortunately the only anime I watch is the stuff I've worked on, so I don't really have a favorite. But I do love Trigun, in which I played Wolfwood.

Stuart444

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

OMG, ITS JEFF NIMOY XD >_<

*coughs* anyway thanks for answering all those questions already Jeff, I enjoyed reading over the answers ^^

rianmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hi Jeff. I appreciate the work you did. Without the great job on Digimon, it's safe to say I wouldn't be here.

My question is on why were the "levels" changed? It doesn't seem to be an Americanization thing, and the Japanese levels were easy enough for 10 year old Japanese boys to understand. Here are the changes I'm talking about:

English     /    Japanese
Rookie     /    Child
Champion /    Adult
Ultimate   /    Perfect
Mega       /    Ultimate

It really made it a confusing clusterfuck to the fans. Was this a Fox translator's idea or Bandai America?

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Do you read any of the Digimon Manga at all? If not what sort of manga do you read if any at all.

(thanks for taking the time to answer the questions)

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Welcome to the Board! Hope you enjoy your stay~

[quote author=Jeff Nimoy link=topic=1647.msg26046#msg26046 date=1166801912]
Everyone knows the series is out there, and everyone wants to know the details of the dub, but at this point there's a giant gag order until the details are worked out.

Anyway, you'll find the answers to your general industry questions on the Jeff Nimoy Experience pages under the Ask Away topic. Good luck in your career.

Unfortunately the only anime I watch is the stuff I've worked on, so I don't really have a favorite. But I do love Trigun, in which I played Wolfwood.
[/quote]

x] Thanks~ (And at least we have another source saying that details are being worked out... which tells me that everything about everything is still pretty fluid at the moment.. )

O, and I suggest reading Gunsmith Cats (available through Dark Horse comics). ;] That's one good manga...

I shall hold off on the questions until I've read all the information. Thank you for your time in answering questions!

... >>; okay, 1 more question: Did you know that Stephanie Sheh, Wendee Lee, Derek Stephen Prince, and Michelle Ruff are listed as Anime North 2007 guests? ;] Any thoughts on that?

http://animenorth.com/guests.php

(for everyone else: Wendee Lee is the voice director of Adventure, and voiced, among other characters, Bearmon, MarineAngemon, Swanmon, and T.K. from Adventure.

Derek Stephen Prince voiced, among others, Veemon, Impmon, Grumblemon (and their other forms), Piedmon, Dynasmon, and Ken [Digimon Emperor].

Michelle Ruff is the voice of Zoe (and her Hybrid forms) and Antylamon.

Stephanie Sheh is the voice of Minami and the translator of the TokyoPop Digimon Manga.)

http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/cast_crew/actors.htm