Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks to Jeff Nimoy for his time (again) and thanks to everyone who spent the time to come up with good questions to ask him.

(Questions do NOT go in this thread, but feel free to comment)

Q - If you could dub any season over again which one would you go for and why?

A - No, in general I was happy with the finished product. I would just have left the third segment out of the movie.

Q - Adding on to that question.... What was the response towards you after you said that you based the personalities of those two characters from gay partners? How do Digimon fans react to you now a days?

A - The response has been mostly given back in the good humored manner in which I originally said it.

Q - Every once in awile in the first 2 seasons the show and the toys would have different names for characters, I know you didn't work on the toys, but there must have been some sort of communication to get them to match (since plenty of Digimon got names in the USA in the toys and show that were the same name, but not the original Japanese name), so how did the naming process go? Did you guys get a list of names from Bandai USA to choose from, did you guys choose them, or some other way? And any idea how some of the 'different' names for the same character happened? (I personally still remember some of the early toys from Season 2 where characters had wildly different names and Ken was called the 'Digimon Caesar')

A - Sometimes the names were told to me, and sometimes they'd ask me for suggestions, but once the shows left my hands, I had nothing to do with the merchandising.

Q - What do you find to be the hardest part of localisation/adaptation?

A - Changing Japanese pop culture references to make sense to an English speaking audience. Then again, it's a fun challenge sometimes.

Q - As much I hate the Adventure dubs' scripts (Which apparently you didn't fully control over) I still think that the majority of the dub voices themselves far surpass the original in almost every aspect. Seriously if the scripts were dropped of one-liners and Davis potshots I'd consider Digimon Adventure and 02 one of the best anime dubs. I say must say you did a great job for Return of Diaboromon and it really shows what would have happened if Fox Kids didn't have its way. Really you don't deserve all that flak because the guys at Fox Kids were all dunderheads, remember when they tried airing Escaflowne? That was almost as bad as Toonami airing Evangelion.

Anyway, as much I don't like the season does Disney have or getting the rights to air Savers, and if not who is?

A - I've heard that before about pot shots on Davis, but I have no idea what it means. I love the Davis character, and I think he's funny. I don't think he's stupid at all, I just think he's misinformed (but a quick learner!). As far as Savers goes, stay tuned.

Q - I've always wondered where the name Yolei came from. When trying to find a new name to replace the Japanese "Miyako," Yolei is probably the last name that would come to my mind. =D In fact, it would seem to me that Yolei is actually a more difficult name for a children's cartoon than Miyako, so that makes me wonder if the name has some special meaning to the person who named her?

A - Digimon was produced by Terry Lei O'Malley. You do the math.

Q - As someone who's been knee-deep in the Americanization of anime early on, do you feel the "children's entertainment" industry has benefited or suffered from the huge influx of Eastern import cartoons over the last decade? Specifically, in terms of "Western" companies (such as Mainframe or Moonscoop) approaches to cartoon production?

A - I think it's all good. The problem with TV in general is it's usually a case of uncreative people in charge of creative people, and they like to meddle.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Answers: December 22nd, 2006

just to add something onto his explanation of yoleis dub name

the original dub name was 'kyo'

remove the k and you got 'yo'

then you got terri lei o'malley (take the 'lei')

yo-lei yolei ....although i suppose the kyo thing could be a rumor and it could be something like someone yelling YO LEI!..

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

"As far as Savers goes, stay tuned."

That is a VERY cruel tease but yet so delicious for speculation

So the Yolei name explained at last :)

MugenSeiRyuu

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

That atleast explains Yolie. I guess that also explains her DCB Name of Keely somehow.

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=1709.msg26025#msg26025 date=1166777335]
Anyway, as much I don't like the season does Disney have or getting the rights to air Savers, and if not who is?
[/quote]

Muhhaha ! I can tell whose Question that is without reading the Thread for that !

circeus

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

--Deleted, I misread the whole thing.--

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

the question wasnt in regards to kyo, it was in regards to yolei, i was just pointing out how they came to that name for the dub

Jay Crowind

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

MugenSeiRyuu said:
Quote from: godofchaos on December 22, 2006, 12:48:55 AM

Muhhaha ! I can tell whose Question that is without reading the Thread for that !
....I think I can guess who.

EDIT: Never mind, I misread.

Status
Not open for further replies.