Japanese Items found in Digimon World 2003

Shadowarrior454

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay so after i finished the game 100% (incluiding post game content) i decided to mess around with cheats, and while doing that, i found these items whose names are in Japanese, i have absolutely no idea what they mean, what is written, etc. Can anyone help me out here please?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They are...

Suzaku A Tag
Genbu A Tag
Zhuqiao A Tag
Seiryu A Tag
Byakko A Tag
Qinglong A Tag
Baihu A Tag

Shadowarrior454

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They are...

Suzaku A Tag
Genbu A Tag
Zhuqiao A Tag
Seiryu A Tag
Byakko A Tag
Qinglong A Tag
Baihu A Tag
Huh.... Interesting. This DOES raise up a couple of questions.
I think the first and most important: Why exactly there are japanese items in the English version of this game?
Second: What exactly is this A tag? We know the first part of the name refers to the cities on both Asuka and Amaterasu servers, of course. Is it just the Japanese name for their badge? Which doesn't make sense, yes, we get the four Asuka leaders badges, but we never get Amaterasu Leaders badges as far as i know. After you beat them in game they don't give you any items.

I don't know, im probably overthinking it, but still. Im rather curious about all this.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The names are in Japanese because they're scrapped items that didn't need to be translated. Not sure what they are in that game, but the names are the names of Chinese and Japanese four guardians of the world (north, south &c.). It could be, theoretically, that at some point of the game development the designers planned including these things in the game, but then they decided against that and scrapped the idea.

Shadowarrior454

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The names are in Japanese because they're scrapped items that didn't need to be translated. Not sure what they are in that game, but the names are the names of Chinese and Japanese four guardians of the world (north, south &c.). It could be, theoretically, that at some point of the game development the designers planned including these things in the game, but then they decided against that and scrapped the idea.
About the guardians part, yeah, you are correct. However, in this game context, they are the name of all the Cities in the game in both servers.
Although, it MAY BE possible they were going to include the guardians digimons in the game and you're supposed to have these 8 items to fight them, or something like that.
I bet the " A " holds the clue of the meaning of this, it can mean anything though..........

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's more interesting why would they include both Chinese and Japanese name. For example Qinglong and Seiryuu are exactly the same being. Not to mention that we already have four guardians in Digimons and they all use Chinese names (like Qinglongmon), and not Japanese ones. But if you say that they're all appearing in the game, then perhaps indeed you could gain these tags in appropriate cities.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's more interesting why would they include both Chinese and Japanese name.
The duplication is intentional. The VR MMO within the game uses the different names of those terms as names for the alternate versions of the cities on the different servers. One server only uses the japanese terms, the other one only uses the chinese terms.

As for the items... they don't serve any purpose in the final game.
The positioning of their IDs indicate that they would be end game rewards as they are placed near the Duel King trophies and the World Champ medal (I'm actually not sure if you can actually obtain that one after beating Kurt either) they were probably meant to be rewards you'd obtain around the end of the game. But with the post-game being in that awkward state that it is (not being included in the US version at all, and taking place in a very limited map with rather awkwardly placed bosses in the versions that have it) it's likely that they originally planned more for that part than what we got, with a proper championship on both servers.

Shadowarrior454

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I see... So this game indeed had more hidden and unused content than i first thought.
I will someday do a walk-through of the JP version of the game to see if i can notice anything different (I might as well add both the PAL version and JP version have the post game)
Speaking of post game, im glad that you mentioned it: It's weird. In so many ways. The boss placement, weird enemies that appear in... Unusual areas, the ability to not explore literally 95% of the game base map, etc.
My bet is that they wanted to make a more complete Post game, but due to limitations and date to release the game, all they could do was release the post game that i like we said... Feels weird and hell, even incomplete.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah I seen them aswell I also read somewhere about what they were in there for but I can't remember where I read it.