It's the 3rd Anniversary of Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Time for another anniversary!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Based on where you are in the world, there is a decent chance it's still September, but it's the 1st of October in Japan and a number of other places, which means it's 3 years since AppliMonsters premiered! (September 30th, where it still is for a lot of people, is actually the day Appmon ended 2 years ago, the same day tri. Part 5 premiered.)

Appmon premiered partway thru tri., which means it was the first time (and thus far only time) we had completely different pieces of Digimon animation running concurrently. (Not to mention Appmon having 2 manga running thru the run of the anime.)

Since tri. was bringing back older characters, Appmon went and did something new, which was not only start over entirely, but have the monsters be fresh, with only a handful of more direct appearances (a new version of Hackmon being a major character, and a late cameo from Agumon, among a handful of monsters with familiar appearances.)

Appmon more directly than most of Digimon had the idea of AI front and forward from beginning to end, along with a range of interesting characters that people quickly grew to like. It also did a pretty good job at making sure all the main characters got decent weighting for their own stories.

On top of that we got a selection of new music that fit in with the franchise well, while not always being what was expected.

So far Appmon is still the newest TV series for Digimon, and hasn't come out in the west yet, but we will see what happens...

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed Appli monsters!! its animation looked really good. Leviathan ranks as one of the most intelligent villains in Digimon anime I'm glad to watched it right to the end

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appli Monsters was the first Digimon show that I got to watch as it aired from start to finish! I really enjoyed it, from its rock solid cast to its quirky humor. It probably has my favorite ending of any Digimon show too. Maybe one day we’ll see Appli Monsters 02!

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Despite the chunks of the series that felt like dead space, and despite the limited numbers of higher level Applimon, I ended up really enjoying the series as a whole. Globemon’s debut ranks as one of my favorite evolutions in the franchise.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really need to find a way to watch this.

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah.. Appmon is never getting a dub. It's just been too long since it aired in Japan. For instance the savers and Xros wars dub aired only a year after the Japanese version finished. So because it's been 2 years since it ended, it's too late to get a dub. Mix that with the massive failure of the Xros wars dub and you wonder why we never got hunters or Appmon here dubbed. It was a miracle tri was dubbed. Digimon is simply dead in the west.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon is simply dead in the west.

You should contact Bandai and Toei with this deep knowledgeable information of yours.

They had 2 producers flown out to California to talk to fans about upcoming stuff recently. Clearly if the franchise is dead in the west that was a mistake and they should be informed.

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really wish they'd either do an Appmon follow-up (with more Level 3s and 4s as noted above) or incorporate the Appmon into the rest of the franchise like they eventually did with the X-Antibodies.

I'm still slightly annoyed that with all of the bonus eggs in the six revival V-pets not a single one of them had a Gatchmon egg and that the Appmon aren't in the Digimon Story franchise despite having 3D models for all of them.

Especially since a lot of the Standard Grade Appmon look to be designed to be Child Levels of existing Digimon like Pteranomon, Locomon, Venusmon, Clockmon, Wisemon et al.

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

You should contact Bandai and Toei with this deep knowledgeable information of yours.

They had 2 producers flown out to California to talk to fans about upcoming stuff recently. Clearly if the franchise is dead in the west that was a mistake and they should be informed.
What a waste of airfares. The fanbase is too small to do that stuff.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@bearmon

Between the popularity of the Cyber Sleuth Series, and localization of all other major titles over the last few years; the popularity and success of the Ver 20th's at Gamestop and the subsequent online communities excitement over them; and the continuous merchandise and licenses (Domez, keychain, Funko Pop figures); I'm not sure you're representing the current state of the Western fandom.

Suffice to say, that tens of thousands of dollars in market research is likely to provide more accurate results than whatever conjecture you might have. Let's leave it to the execs, shall we?

dansplosion

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An underrated gem! I can't believe it's been 3 years already. Still feels like it's pretty new! Hoping it gets a dub son with the increased interest in digimon in the west, although it may be too different from the current English brand of digimon to be worth dubbing

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope Appmon coexist alongside traditional Digimon in future projects, I don't want to drop them as a concept.
That being said, I only have a passing knowledge of Appmon at all from reading Wikimon. I would love to watch the show but alongside other series like Savers, I don't know where to legally view it

DragonicEmperor

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed Appmon. Fun characters and a nice take on the Digital aspect, using apps this time.

And it even managed to use the center of the universe in its show!

Dodonick96

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would kill for a sequel to Appli Monsters! Just give us a proper and closed ending this time XD

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought it was fun. Shame we didn't get a girl Appmon partner but Ai wasn't a partner, she was just the other girl. This might work dubbed. Just put it on Disney XD. ...That would be if they still aired Yokai Watch. That would be fun. All 3 on the same network. ...Plus two other anime.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Bearmon you’re confusing two different things. A dead franchise is one that cannot be revived: public interest has dipped to a level that could no longer financially support a revival. DIGIMON is something else: a franchise that still attracts considerable public interest, but which has repeatedly failed to fan those embers into a bonfire, thanks to a cavalcade of thoroughly mediocre media offerings. Note how high public interest was leading up to Tri, and then how it deflated, like a whoopee cushion, in time with the protracted flatulent noise that was that series’ plot. Appmon is another great example: we were all ‘here for it’, and very enthusiastic about some of the new ideas it briefly explored, but then it just spun its wheels for most of fifty episodes. It absolutely could have helped launch DIGIMON into a silver age if it had actually developed those (very interesting!) concepts into a story that actually filled a year-long narrative — it just didn’t.

As GoC mentions, the execs know they have something. They know there’s a market here. Yet the franchise continues to languish in semi-relevance at best. There’s no other way to square this circle.

Last edited:

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this is an official localization I want more than Mother 3.
Not saying I don't want Mother 3 it to be localized, just saying.

Nagatem

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly Appmon became my favorite Digimon anime, tamers and frontier are still my top Digimon Digimon series

At this point I’m ok with appmon not getting a dub, but it and hunters should have officially released subbed dvds at least,
and has there been any news about the digivolving spirits figures or has the flame just gone out?, same with a possible frontier battle spirits card set

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There technically is an official sub for Hunters, but that's within Crunchyroll. Not a DVD release, but still...