It's the 21st Anniversary of Digimon Adventure!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Based on where you are in the world, there is a decent chance it's still the 6th, but it's the 7th in Japan...

March 7th is when Digimon Adventure began, and it's been 21 years!

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

Digimon didn't begin with Adventure, but it is what has more than anything else popularized and defined the franchise, with everything since chasing after it in what seems to be a never ending game of finding what made it work and become so well loved.

The show began at 9am on Fuji Television and was directed by Hiroyuki Kakudou, who made a number of decisions that weren't in line with what the franchise was to that point (to the degree that staff like Kenji Watanabe and Volcano Ota would seemingly disagree with suggested changes at first.) The series composer who was in charge of the overall story was Satoru Nishizono, who noted in interviews since that part of taking the job was he looked forward to working on a year long original story, and brought numerous core elements to the series himself, including bringing in Hikari from the first movie and making something that felt charming and that could be taken both serious and lightly and even parodied (apparently inspired by words he had read from Yoshiyuki Tomino.)

Adventure was the beginning of the anime, which continued on for a few years (before it's first break) with 02, Tamers, and Frontier, which all sit alongside it in most fans memories to differing degrees. Series producer Seki Hiromi has referred to these as the 'four brothers' of the franchise. The 4 of them all had remarkably little turnover between staff, having the first 4 anime series based on the franchise be various interpretations with just small tweaks in staff and intent leading to an overall feeling of familiarity between them, while she notes that over the years more and more staff have joined the franchise, introducing new 'cousins and relatives' into the family of the franchise.

Notably, even from the early group of staff, when they've moved on to other work, they very often seem to swing back to Digimon every once in awhile.

Adventure continued with not only 02 right after it aired, but with tri. being announced as part of the 15th anniversary, and Kizuna just came out in Japan (with releases in the US and elsewhere coming shortly.)

Plus we are under a month away from a brand new version of Digimon Adventure with Digimon Adventure:! (Adventure: is even airing in the same timeslot Adventure ran in 21 years ago!)

So like I said above, Digimon didn't begin with Adventure, but what it became and has tried to do since was always defined by what Adventure started.

We'll update with any message of note that might show up and we are able to translate.

Update- A few messages of note from a few places/people.

AiM tweeted out a nice message that included a photo montage, Mimi in Adventure and 02, along with doing ED songs for Adventure, 02, Tamers, Frontier, and tri.

The montage shows off quite a bit of her long history with the brand.

Congratulations on the 21st anniversary! Thanks everyone for the 20th year! I hope we can continue to connect with the 'bond' that continues to the future from this 21st year. With love and gratitude to all of you who love Digimon around the world. From here forward, thank you very much.

Adventure Director Kakudou tweeted musing on how much he had posted in the past regarding the anniversary (and also August 1st.)

Cher Watanabe, arranger for a number of Digimon songs including Butter-Fly made a few tweets (2) (3).
Today marks the 21st Anniversary of the 1st episode airing! I think all the children who were watching at the time are 'the chosen children!

I think the 21st anniversary means something more than the 10th or the 20th... Am I a little weird?

I wonder if it's because I'm in my 70s that I feel excited by the number 21.

Megahouse also did an updated version of their yearly product montage showing various Digimon stuff they've done over the last few years.

Attachments

Last edited:

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’ll always love Adventure, even if I’m a bit burned out on Adventure stuff right now. Truly timeless.

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"[...]that could be taken both seriously and lightly[...]"

They completely succeeded on that count. When I think back to Digimon's original run on Fox Kids, what sticks out is how much it made me care. The anime shows its age now, and it's way easier to take it lightly than seriously when you're in your late twenties, but dang if I don't still care about the whole gang of eight and their partners all these years later. Here's hoping Adventure 2020 sticks with its audience the same way!

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have very vivid memories of Digimon Adventure, particularly the premiere of Digimon on Fox Kids. My cousin had seen the commercial and described it as "Pokemon, but the monsters are actually dangerous" Which I guess was pretty accurate. I remember struggling with my antenna to get a signal strong enough to watch Birdramon's debut episode. Or, probably the best, staying home alone for the first time at my grandparents house (who had fox!) and watching the last episodes clearly with a banquet of candy from the corner store ("WILL THE DIGIDESTINED BECOME THE DIGI-DELETED!?") . I know there's been adventure burn out...but it's such a big part of my childhood, I'll never be sad to see these kids!

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Such wonderful memories and nostalgia, my all-time favorite. It's hard to believe it's been more than two decades since Adventure began. It was a major part of my childhood and still apart of my life even now after all this time. Good storytelling and well written characters never go out of fashion. Something today's animators and writers could learn from.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added a few messages and images from a few people involved with Digimon, and a product account.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Such wonderful memories and nostalgia, my all-time favorite. It's hard to believe it's been more than two decades since Adventure began. It was a major part of my childhood and still apart of my life even now after all this time. Good storytelling and well written characters never go out of fashion. Something today's animators and writers could learn from.
Hear hear.