It's the 1st Anniversary of Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's February 21st in Japan, so it's the first anniversary of the release of Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna.

The 20th Anniversary film for Digimon Adventure, despite coming out as covid was really getting going and getting delayed in various countries, acted as an overall springboard for a relaunch of the brand, which is still continuing now.

The film was generally received well, selling tickets in a number of countries that did well despite the obvious issues of releasing a film currently. On home video it ranked high in countries where it's been released so far. In Japan it came as close as the franchise has for matching Adventure on Blu-ray, while in the US it was the top selling anime title for a decent chunk of time, and 3rd overall for the week it came out (only losing out to perennial holiday seller Hocus Pocus and the first Picard Blu-ray), while also ranking in the top 10 digital films on iTunes.

The film took heavy inspiration from Our War Game, as many Digimon things do, continuing a theme that has shown up in Digimon stories for the last few years, having to do with growing up. We've talked about the movie a lot, so we won't go into it much more than that, although if you haven't seen it, it's a great character watch with probably the best animation the franchise has had.

Just a few hours ago they announced a commentary stream for March 6th with a number of familiar faces, teasing an 'announcement' at the end of it.

Our Kizuna discussion thread is here.

Our podcast special where we discuss Kizuna, at length with guests onkeikun and jeffinitelyjeff can be found here.

Our scans/breakdown/review of the US Blu-ray of the movie can be found here.

Our scans/breakdown/review of the Japanese Deluxe Blu-ray of the movie can be found here.

A few additional Kizuna highlights:
Our Interview with Joshua Seth
Interview with Producer Kinoshita
Kizuna Audio Drama Translation featuring the 02 characters

The US release of Kizuna can still be ordered from Amazon: (Affiliate links)
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Blu-ray Combo
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna DVD

As can the Japanese releases of the movie from CDJapan: (Affiliate links)
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Blu-ray Deluxe Version (CDJapan)
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Blu-ray (CDJapan)
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna DVD (CDJapan)

Attachments

Agu-Chan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Around this time last year I bought my ticket for the US theater showing in late March I ordered a month in advance since I knew it would sell out before long. I was so sycked to see it in the theater but ended up not happening for you know what that began in early March.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm so proud to be a digimon fan. I hope there will be more movies. Keep going strong digimon.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm still waiting for it to come to my country's theaters so I have the opportunity to be that creepy guy crying in the cinema. And I'm not even talking about the ending. Bolero alone can make me tear up.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Still haven't seen it, because of many things, not just the Thing. But this sounds like it was a good movie.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really think Last Evolution Kizuna single handly revived Digimon as a franchise. If wasn't for the movie which was one of the best anime movies I have ever seen I think Digimon franchise would not be where it is today

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really think Last Evolution Kizuna single handly revived Digimon as a franchise. If wasn't for the movie which was one of the best anime movies I have ever seen I think Digimon franchise would not be where it is today
Everything happening now was in the planning stages before Kizuna came out, in some cases by quite a bit.

Kizuna was the springboard to soft 'reboot' everything with the current wave of Digimon.