It's the 12th Anniversary of Digimon Xros Wars

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
xroswars10th_july5_2020.jpg

It's the 12th anniversary of Digimon Xros Wars! (It's already the 6th in Japan)

Digimon Xros Wars premiered on July 6th, 2010 in Japan, and was later brought to the US as Digimon Fusion.

(Various text has been used in articles in the past.)

Xros Wars wasn't the first time Digimon returned in a larger way after the original anime run ended, but it has a lot of firsts for the franchise.

It goes with a visual style more akin to the earlier anime content, but changed quite a bit. The first half of it's initial story doesn't even include evolution as a concept, instead going with DigiXros, a stylistic change from the earlier fusions and jogresses (with a rather high number of new forms owing to the unique elements of DigiXros.)

The story itself feels like it draws from material like Adventure and V-Tamer quite a bit, while placing a few unique spins on the overall character setup, one of which is, the Digimon tend to feel like they have quite a bit of personality.

The show itself is also unique in that it's probably the 'one' time that we we have actual evidence of potentially larger behind the scenes changes, the tiny bits of imagery scene in a Toei studio tour video showing some wildly different character charts, plus the late request to extend the show for another production season, giving us the sequel Hunters.

And of course, one of the high points of Xros Wars was the music. Xros had among the widest and some of the best range of songs in the franchise. Franchise mainstays like Wada Kouji did a wide range of songs, plus Tanimoto Takayoshi (who returned to sing multiple new songs for Adventure:)also returned to the franchise. On top of that, new to Digimon was music from Twill, Sonar Pocket, and of course, Psychic Lover.

But the unique elements of Xros also included a manga that was actually based on the anime, the first time the franchise did that (even if the manga diverged wildly.) It was the first time the show was produced in HD digitally, it was the first time we got any sort of simulcast, or even an official subtitled version with proper video and subtitles (an earlier attempt with a few other seasons were borderline unwatchable.)

More weirder is that it's the only season, at this time, that ended it's run without a home video release in Japan that was actually at retail, owing to an exclusivity deal with rental stores. Although with only a few seasons not on Blu-ray at this point, fans can still hope Xros Wars will get it's chance, especially since it's the earliest Digimon series that would actually benefit heavily from such a release.

Xros Wars, despite not necessarily being among the most popular series' in the franchise, has an odd place in that it appeared recently enough to still feel modern, and it's animation was the first time Digimon was dragged into the modern era, making it age far less than prior shows visually. On top of that, certain bits of how the show feels honestly feels like it's carried on to things like Appmon and Adventure:, making Xros Wars sort of feel like a bit of a handoff from the earlier years, where we can still see what feels like a lot of inspiration towards where the franchise is now (no doubt helped by 2 major cast members from Xros Wars being among the main Adventure: cast, with returning actors in Ghost Game in guest slots) To say nothing of lots of bits of Xros Wars appearing in Adventure: as references, including notable Digimon, etc.

It was an interesting series of Digimon, and fans are still quite happy when Digimon from that era appear. And in the last few years there has been a more direct effort to include Xros Wars more in the franchise at large, beginning with giving the Digimon who never had it, formal levels, which means we've seen them appearing in the franchise more and more in V-pets, more appearances in the anime, the card game (with a Xros Wars themed booster a few months ago), upcoming plushies, and more which looks to continue on.

A bit of a fun time for Xros Wars fans to share their thoughts on a unique, and perhaps stranger, Digimon show.

Digimon Xros Wars (and Hunters) are still on Crunchyroll subtitled in HD.

A couple years ago Digimon Web put up Xros Wars social art to celebrate, as a mini animation.

We will see if anything shows up later to celebrate.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 8,460

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Currently watching it. It does a lot of interesting things for the franchise while doing a lot of less interesting things as an anime series. Is definitely a mixed bag, but one with it's positive elements that I would like to see again in the franchise.

The concept of digixros itself is one of those I hope one day to see once again in the future of the anime, alongside Digimentals, Jogress and Hybrid Spirit Evolution.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is weird but kind of fun. Not the worst series but the DigiXros was interesting. ...The dub wasn't great but it was Nick. That last season sure was different but again, not the worst.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Love me some Xros Wars, when it was at its best it was at peaks that only Savers could reach. Wasn't the most consistent show though admittedly and S3 blew chunks but that's just how these things go.

Idiysar Almond

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Have really great memories with it since it was the first series where i followed the news when it was still a rumor, watched it live, and talk it on the internet till its end. It was a polarizing series especially to how they treated famous Digimon's role, but must say that i enjoy expecting what kind of Digimon will debut on next episode, it's probably the season with the most amount of digimon shown or at least most digimon debuted. It was the first series that don't produce its own movie, and i hope Ghost Game will stop this tradition. With its 3rd part, Hunter, it was the start of real-life focused season become too heavily MotW/fillerish later like what we experienced in Appmon and Ghost Game now (Tamers' and Savers' fillerish phase is only 1/4 of their run at most), though at least GG clearly stated at the very start that it'll be fillerish.

It's also the only series with crossover, on the 15th year of Digimon. Now we're on 25th anniversary, too bad there's no sign of another crossover for the anime. Oh and despite it having so many insert songs, it doesn't really have characters songs while previous seasons (and Appmon) have it. And i still can't get why would they give Tagiru (another) red XrosLoader, 2 red "digivice" with barely any difference is just too much where they could give him purple.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
definitely my least favorite anime but at least I can say that Shoutmon is the best partner Digimon we've ever had

Geode

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Have really great memories with it since it was the first series where i followed the news when it was still a rumor, watched it live, and talk it on the internet till its end. It was a polarizing series especially to how they treated famous Digimon's role, but must say that i enjoy expecting what kind of Digimon will debut on next episode, it's probably the season with the most amount of digimon shown or at least most digimon debuted. It was the first series that don't produce its own movie, and i hope Ghost Game will stop this tradition. With its 3rd part, Hunter, it was the start of real-life focused season become too heavily MotW/fillerish later like what we experienced in Appmon and Ghost Game now (Tamers' and Savers' fillerish phase is only 1/4 of their run at most), though at least GG clearly stated at the very start that it'll be fillerish.

It's also the only series with crossover, on the 15th year of Digimon. Now we're on 25th anniversary, too bad there's no sign of another crossover for the anime. Oh and despite it having so many insert songs, it doesn't really have characters songs while previous seasons (and Appmon) have it. And i still can't get why would they give Tagiru (another) red XrosLoader, 2 red "digivice" with barely any difference is just too much where they could give him purple.
Wish they do Dim cards for Xross Wars, and yeah I want to see another crossover with GG, we did get Monitamon and Splashmon maybe have Greymon 2010 appear as an enemy for WezenGammamon to fight.

Greymon 2010 was originally supposed to appear in Adventure 2020 but scrapped.

HeroWars

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope they could make Shoutmon X3 in Omnimon version or jogress but with MegaShoutmon+MegaDorulumon+MegaBallistamon.

I like how Taiki is quite close to Beelzebumon, Akari to Cutemon, Nene to Mervamon and Monimon even though their main partners are different.

I hope there will be Tamers like Kiriha and Mirei in the next Anime. I like Tamer with two main digimon but end up being 1 digimon like ZekeGreymon and Mastemon.

I also like the army theme from XW which involves a lot of digimon.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've said it be before, but XW will always be a bit of a mixed series for me. It's the first that I watched subbed as it was airing so I have a lot of fond memories watching the new episode, coming here, and then talking about it. However, even watching it back then I had to admit it could be very inconsistent with some strong highlights while also having some real bad lows. It simultaneously has one of my favorite lead protagonist Digimon and least favorite villains so it definitely had its up and down.

Still, warts and all I still had fun with this series and I do hope they throw it a bone somewhere down the road. The aforementioned DIM for instance would be nice as I'd like to raise my own Shoutmon or Dorulumon.

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm never quite sure where I land on Fusion/Xros Wars. Mostly it's just so forgettable. I remember the overarching plot (which wasn't terrible) for the series and some important episodes, but many of the transitional episodes didn't make an impact at all. Honestly, much as I liked Adventure 2020, I think it's closest in spirit to Fusion. It did have some decent designs, and not that the core concept isn't bad, but also some of the fusions are just too silly.

Also, it's blasphemy, but I did not like Shoutmon. Goofy original design, annoying personality, none of it worked for me.

The manga was weirdly good though!

Still, warts and all I still had fun with this series and I do hope they throw it a bone somewhere down the road. The aforementioned DIM for instance would be nice as I'd like to raise my own Shoutmon or Dorulumon.
Dorulumon is in the True Shadow Howl DIM! He'll also be in the Wolf Howl Vital Hero card too. Nu Metal Empire also has a few from the series.

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The series that got me back into Digimon after a couple of years. I preferred the second half though “the seven kingdoms” over the first half and the Hunters. I liked the villains in this series especially DarkKnightmon, wish we could have got to see more of him.

Idiysar Almond

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Wish they do Dim cards for Xross Wars, and yeah I want to see another crossover with GG, we did get Monitamon and Splashmon maybe have Greymon 2010 appear as an enemy for WezenGammamon to fight.

Greymon 2010 was originally supposed to appear in Adventure 2020 but scrapped.
Wait, i don't know the XW Greymon stuff, was it mentioned on V-jump or something? I've tried searching on this forum, but unable to find it.

Ultimamon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Still an overall pretty forgettable and lacklustre show/toy commercial with fairly generic/flat characters and some of the ugliest designs in the franchise, that started off very promising and went steadily downhill from there. Young Hunters only drags it down further. The Manga wasn’t any significantly better, mostly falling back on fan service. Other than the music it doesn’t really have much going for it, and is easily bottom tier along with Savers and the Taichi Show.