Is this season even worth watching?

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Going through a complete series rewatch (only on episode 33 of Adventure so I have a way to go) and while I definitely plan on watching the original 4 series (haven't seen Frontier since like 2006is) and I'm hesitant on Data Squad but is this series even worth it?

Everything I've read about Mikey/Taiki screams Self-insert Gary Stu. Even more so than Kari and Ryo and they weren't the main characters of their respective series.

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
watch Xros Wars, but skip young hunters(the seqeul to XW, aka episode 55-79)

Xadhoom

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There're other characters to enjoy in Fusion or Savers (not 100% sure which series you're hesitant about), even if Taiki hogs the spotlight in the anime version.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The character with the real problems and drive is actually his partner Shoutmon. Taiki is just along for the ride cuz, yeah, he is just basically a real nice guy. Fusion has a lot of fun (colourful characters, locations and wacky scenarios), but I can't say it has great characterisation or thematic depth in comparison to the other series. Give it a go, see how you like it. Fusion is generally entertaining, and both it and the sequel series Young Hunters do have some legit great standout episodes.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think that Xros Wars has really any more flaws than any of the other series (though from what I've heard Fusion might be somehow worse than other seasons of the dub). I'd recommend giving Xros Wars a shot, at least, and Hunters has its moments.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There're other characters to enjoy in Fusion or Savers (not 100% sure which series you're hesitant about), even if Taiki hogs the spotlight in the anime version.
Fusion/xros wars. I've seen Data Squad (Savers) already. No thanks

prismblack91

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I say just stick to the manga version which fixes alot of the issues like Taiki being more flawed.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
XW Manga is really recommended bcos it actually portrayed the point of view of the villains, meanwhile the anime is just simply generic "save the whole digital world from the big bad one" by collect things and defeat some groups of digimon

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"save the whole digital world from the big bad one" by collect things and defeat some groups of digimon
Adventure was basically that but I liked the characters so it was enjoyable
in spite of minimal plot.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
indeed. But at least in adventure there's still some natural human instinct which makes the characters interesting. In XW it's pure shounen with generic trait of characters except Taiki, but still being GaryStu.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
indeed. But at least in adventure there's still some natural human instinct which makes the characters interesting. In XW it's pure shounen with generic trait of characters except Taiki, but still being GaryStu.
What is this hate towards Digimon Xros Wars and Taiki? I think you misunderstood all the season concept, but anyways. The characterization in XW is as good as it is in the rest of the seasons. Worth saying that you can understand even better the motivations of the different characters if you read the manga; in the same line, Digimon are thankfully more than a copypaste of their partners, which is appreciated.

And also, what's wrong with Taiki being in this way? He is just a different kind of guy, one who cares about the others and fight actively against injustices, but he really shows several flaws during the season though in my humble opinion, I don't know why he is always portrayed as a GaryStu. For instance, he is sometimes too self-centered and he doesn't care about the others' way of acting, if they are different than his. So please, stop saying everyone that Taiki is perfect because that's NOT true. He has the same number of flaws than the other leaders, "the perfect kind of guy" it's just the most superficial part of his entire personality. But eventually, he realizes that
his own point of view it's not the only acceptable one (see for example Hell's Field mini arc)
. Moreover about the rest of the characters, Kiriha acts this way because
everyone he trusted turned his back on him
, Nene
does things he did not think he was capable of in order to rescue his brother
and Yuu
has to grow up and face the reality that life is not rosy
. Aren't this conflicts enough "human"?

In regard to the main question in the thread, I think you should really give a try to Xros Wars and Young Hunters. Xros Wars transmit the same values as Adventure but in a very different skin. The story and the characters are quite good, the music is excellent and overall is way better than most haters say. Young Hunters is a different story. It was pretended to be a direct sequel to Xros Wars, but in my opinion, it is a little bit more poor, but despite quite enjoyable, so I recommend you to watch it at least once and make your own opinion about this season. In this vein, I highly recommend you too to read the manga of the same name, cause it's one of the best ones I've ever read (I'm not talking only about Digimon). And of course if you want, I would be very glad to know your opinions after that. Hope it helps a bit to make your decision.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Worth saying that you can understand even better the motivations of the different characters if you read the manga; in the same line, Digimon are thankfully more than a copypaste of their partners, which is appreciated.
Nah, I'm only discussed the anime, of course the manga is different way, especially how the villains are treated MUCH... BETTER than the anime.

And also, what's wrong with Taiki being in this way? He is just a different kind of guy, one who cares about the others and fight actively against injustices, but he really shows several flaws during the season though in my humble opinion, I don't know why he is always portrayed as a GaryStu. For instance, he is sometimes too self-centered and he doesn't care about the others' way of acting, if they are different than his. So please, stop saying everyone that Taiki is perfect because that's NOT true. He has the same number of flaws than the other leaders, "the perfect kind of guy" it's just the most superficial part of his entire personality. But eventually, he realizes that
his own point of view it's not the only acceptable one (see for example Hell's Field mini arc)
. Moreover about the rest of the characters, Kiriha acts this way because
everyone he trusted turned his back on him
, Nene
does things he did not think he was capable of in order to rescue his brother
and Yuu
has to grow up and face the reality that life is not rosy
. Aren't this conflicts enough "human"?

In regard to the main question in the thread, I think you should really give a try to Xros Wars and Young Hunters. Xros Wars transmit the same values as Adventure but in a very different skin. The story and the characters are quite good, the music is excellent and overall is way better than most haters say. Young Hunters is a different story. It was pretended to be a direct sequel to Xros Wars, but in my opinion, it is a little bit more poor, but despite quite enjoyable, so I recommend you to watch it at least once and make your own opinion about this season. In this vein, I highly recommend you too to read the manga of the same name, cause it's one of the best ones I've ever read (I'm not talking only about Digimon). And of course if you want, I would be very glad to know your opinions after that. Hope it helps a bit to make your decision.
Actually when I'm saying it's generic, doesn't mean it's bad. But it's just pure plain, for a series that usually the characters rely on natural human instinct and way of thinking towards something. I mean, some characters had good characterization, but mostly it doesn't fit with the circumstances they're now in.

Mostly what I praised from XW anime is its digimon characterization which is more lively and expressive. Unlike adventure which the digimon are more or less just an alter ego from the human chara, the XW Digimon can have their own merits and their own way of thinking. This was done better bcos mostly the digimon are not "digimon partner" of someone, but rather a companion.

I am not kidding about the GaryStu thing. It's not like bcos he's perfect or something. But his whole action and way of thinking is just like a character with personality written on a piece of paper. He didn't even wondering about something strange he never saw before and he never really care about it. His own purpose is also pretty straightforward without any drawbacks. He never really failed or feel depressed or worried in the whole show, like how about his mother, etc. Even Akari which was a minor character, still can feel like that.

For me XW is kinda an opposite from Adventure in terms of character traits. Adv is more human-centered, and XW is more digimon-centered in terms of characterization

takararavenheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think definitely give it a try. People are much too harsh on this season to be honest and I feel it has a lot of good things

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's got a number of callbacks to past series, which can be used as rationale for watching. Certain aspects of Taiki's personality are rather two-dimensional (particularly in season 1), so be warned if you didn't like Davis. The plot as a whole progresses much like a video game with a number of sub-bosses for the various stages (somewhat like Megaman Network Transmission, complete with different biomes). It's not a bad series as a whole (I mean, we got an animated appearance from a V-Tamer Digimon).

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd say give the first few episodes a watch and see how you feel. The series definitely has its flaws such as the aforementioned human characterization and the formula can be hit or miss, but it also has its share of good points and those can be enough to keep you going. You just have to give it a shot and see where it takes you as just giving it a glimpse may be enough to convince you it's worth your time.

Vice

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So did you get around to watching it and if so what did you think of it?

AppliFang

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it is worth watching. It has something different and it is kind of like the games where you gather of digimon from different places (build an army of favorites) and take on the boss. The fusing may be a bit odd but they did come back to digivovling again (which was quite nice). Another reason why i would think it is worth watching is because i got to see digimon who never got animated, animated. Ohh and greetings everyone! Sorry for my long first post...

Sorcerimon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't watch Xros Wars, anime is terrible in my opinnion (especially when compared to previous Digimon series). I like Xros manga way more, I'd recommend reading that.

Last edited:

samazam

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whether its worth the time or not is completely up to you. People tends to say bias things , for and against, in these sorts of stuff.

Like Adventure/02, people always praise it for being the best of them all when fact is, throw them nostalgia glasses off, and it'll become glaringly apparent the many flaws it has.

I think Xros Wars is one of the better series, but thats just me. It kinda suffers the same way as Savers in that people were turned down so much by how different it is from the rest of the series that everything about it is bad.

Like many people have said before, watch a few episodes of it and judge it yourself. As long as you can get enjoyment from it, who cares if its bad eh?

Also, while I agree that the XW manga is better, I recommend watching the anime beforehand just so that you can appreciate it more. The only flaw that I can say about is that its kinda felt a bit rushed.