is anyone else worried for ghost game?

dasprekuu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I read that in Japan, Frontier aired literally only a week after Tamers had ended and didn't do too well viewer-wise and was actually a huge blow to Digimon thereafter for almost a decade (subsequently giving Savers, Xros/Young Hunters a really bad go at things). With GG coming so soon after Re:Adventure ending, being the 3rd of October if I'm not mistaken, I'm actually a little worried it wont be received very well. And after watching pretty much all but the finale of Re:A I can safely say it was a very weak season for the franchise and was hopefully just filler for the likely non filler series that will be Ghost Game.

To be fair Savers imho was great (tho I watched the dub for pretty much all of the seasons of Digimon as they came out over here), Fusions/Xros was uhhh not so great. It felt like a huge toy commercial and seeing how badly it did in japan especially with mervamon and venusmon being made for fanservice purposes to sell whatever it was they were trying to sell? I have pretty decently sized hopes for GG, I don't want it to succumb to the issues any of the others had, and hope it doesn't have the weak writing/emptiness Re:A had. Here's hoping it'll pull a Tamers and be one of the most successful series in the franchise!

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Meh, I'd rather have them try new things rather than just regurgitate 01 and Our War Game forever. I don't think I'd keep my interest in the franchise if it devolved into another midlife Pokemon clone (no characters or development, just mindless repetitive battles).

dasprekuu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Meh, I'd rather have them try new things rather than just regurgitate 01 and Our War Game forever. I don't think I'd keep my interest in the franchise if it devolved into another midlife Pokemon clone (no characters or development, just mindless repetitive battles).
absolutely yeah, I completely agree! Just finished the season finale for Re:A and while the ending was good I do hope they give us another season or future season of it down the road after GG to sort of give us more personality for the characters. Me and my friend watched it all the way through together and agree we dont hate it, but we did feel let down here and there throughout it. Can't wait to see what GG offers and what else the series gives us, because honestly it really feels like Digimon as a franchise is being given another chance to shine brightly.

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure 02 and Tamers also came out one week after the show before
If anything, Id say going right after an Adenture series gives GG a better chance at surviving than just going in blind like the last few

shynely

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Frontier's specific role in Digimon anime going on hiatus is probably overstated by the fandom. It had lower viewership than Tamers, but that had lower than Adventure 02.

But also, I've never heard of the staff ever claiming they wanted to do a fifth Digimon show in a row, so Frontier underperforming didn't seem to kill any concrete plans.

Last edited:

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not worried, at all. It seems to blend new and old ideas pretty well, thus far. We'll see how it goes!

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a new idea after something we knew. Could be a good idea. They could have gone safe and did Re:02 but Let's see how this works out. Now if it went to 2 10 min eps each, then we might have to worry. heh

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a new idea after something we knew. Could be a good idea. They could have gone safe and did Re:02 but Let's see how this works out. Now if it went to 2 10 min eps each, then we might have to worry. heh
Pretty sure not many anime go the Western route of episode lengths. If anything, this method would've benefited Young Hunter's pace.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
at this stage I'm fine with anything other than Adventure verse right now...although I think Ghost Game would benefit bit more if it airs after some break so that people can finish digesting Adventure 2020

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
at this stage I'm fine with anything other than Adventure verse right now...although I think Ghost Game would benefit bit more if it airs after some break so that people can finish digesting Adventure 2020
Depends on first impressions really. Most people here don't seem to have a lot of good opinions on Adventure: anyways, so it's not like the bar is set that high.

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If characterization and action are somewhat existing, it's already a clear improvement over Adventure:2020. Even though last episode was quite good on the action-part.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty sure not many anime go the Western route of episode lengths. If anything, this method would've benefited Young Hunter's pace.
All of that is true. But Pokemon is doing that while Yokai Watch was always doing it.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure 02 and Tamers also came out one week after the show before
If anything, Id say going right after an Adenture series gives GG a better chance at surviving than just going in blind like the last few
Indeed. Back in the day, Digimon was treated as a yearly series, not too unlike Toei's other properties: Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Precure, and maybe some others. While quality is sure to vary, a new series coming out immediately after the previous one is hardly a sign of being rushed (especially since they usually employ a completely different staff, who'd be free to work on it while the previous series is still airing).

Dharakjoo

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I'm very worried that Digimon Ghost Game has a darker tone and horror genre when the Clockmon steals the human's life force. I am little frightened.

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How well Ghost Game will do will be basically impossible to predict until it actually airs for a bit. Regardless of however one felt about adventure 2020, it seems to, at the very least, be a commercial and financial success allowing the franchise to do more things (Note: how successful it is or even if it is as much as I'm assuming is not something I have hard info for mind you nor do I feel like trying to look that up right now).

I get being overly worried about GG failing in a commercial sense, since it may give the franchise even more of an excuse to milk Adventure again (something it'll probably do regardless of GG anyway if I'm being totally honest) but all I can really suggest is to wait and see.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How well Ghost Game will do will be basically impossible to predict until it actually airs for a bit. Regardless of however one felt about adventure 2020, it seems to, at the very least, be a commercial and financial success allowing the franchise to do more things (Note: how successful it is or even if it is as much as I'm assuming is not something I have hard info for mind you nor do I feel like trying to look that up right now).

I get being overly worried about GG failing in a commercial sense, since it may give the franchise even more of an excuse to milk Adventure again (something it'll probably do regardless of GG anyway if I'm being totally honest) but all I can really suggest is to wait and see.

Not to deviate from the topic, but Toei
actually said Digimon Adventure 2020 struggled to find new audiences of children.

shynely

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
MarcFBR has brought up that the "struggled to find an audience" deal is kind of misrepresented by the fandom.

This is rather surprising as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_Adventure_(2020_TV_series)#Public_response says Toei mentioned the series had not been very successful in gaining new generations of children.
The Response section of the Wikipedia article is useless.

It uses various "Well this is technically correct" loopholes with editors using it to add what they want, with it being accurate enough that there is little likelihood in having it removed.

Which is fine, but having it on a wiki doesn't make it true. So being on a wiki because it's technically correct means little when the reality is different. (For example, the article rambles about the ratings a bit as if they are negative. It also ignores that those ratings means it's quite high among all anime series currently airing.)

It's effectively no different than having someone who has no knowledge of how any of it works yelling about it. Either you believe someone who knows nothing, nor how to even look at data in a basic way, or you pay attention to how the franchise looks to be doing overall and realize it's junk.

and from earlier:

A few Digimon mentions in a new Toei fiscal report.

First up, Survive is mentioned, with no specific changes from prior reports, based on what information they have they still expect the game to show up this fall.

Adventure: is also referenced beginning it's second year. The only specific mention is that due to the timing of the start of the broadcast, it struggled to capture the audience of children they specifically wanted at the beginning.

Interestingly, they don't say whether in the end it did or didn't up to when the report was put together (recent products from Bandai suggest that aspect has gotten better over the last few months, but no specific mention.)

Based on the attached data sheets, if you look at data for various titles, Digimon appears to be roughly the 3rd to 6th biggest title for Toei (based on various rankings and numbers), as far as money they make from it. (A good percentage appearing to be licensing of show, film, and merchandising outside of Japan.)

This appears to line up roughly with the last report we saw (around March), and I believe with the one prior to that.

Note that "struggled to acquire new audiences" was specifically about the start of the show, and came from a report that also put Digimon as one of their biggest earning titles.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
MarcFBR has brought up that the "struggled to find an audience" deal is kind of misrepresented by the fandom.

This is rather surprising as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_Adventure_(2020_TV_series)#Public_response says Toei mentioned the series had not been very successful in gaining new generations of children.
The Response section of the Wikipedia article is useless.

It uses various "Well this is technically correct" loopholes with editors using it to add what they want, with it being accurate enough that there is little likelihood in having it removed.

Which is fine, but having it on a wiki doesn't make it true. So being on a wiki because it's technically correct means little when the reality is different. (For example, the article rambles about the ratings a bit as if they are negative. It also ignores that those ratings means it's quite high among all anime series currently airing.)

It's effectively no different than having someone who has no knowledge of how any of it works yelling about it. Either you believe someone who knows nothing, nor how to even look at data in a basic way, or you pay attention to how the franchise looks to be doing overall and realize it's junk.

and from earlier:

A few Digimon mentions in a new Toei fiscal report.

First up, Survive is mentioned, with no specific changes from prior reports, based on what information they have they still expect the game to show up this fall.

Adventure: is also referenced beginning it's second year. The only specific mention is that due to the timing of the start of the broadcast, it struggled to capture the audience of children they specifically wanted at the beginning.

Interestingly, they don't say whether in the end it did or didn't up to when the report was put together (recent products from Bandai suggest that aspect has gotten better over the last few months, but no specific mention.)

Based on the attached data sheets, if you look at data for various titles, Digimon appears to be roughly the 3rd to 6th biggest title for Toei (based on various rankings and numbers), as far as money they make from it. (A good percentage appearing to be licensing of show, film, and merchandising outside of Japan.)

This appears to line up roughly with the last report we saw (around March), and I believe with the one prior to that.

Note that "struggled to acquire new audiences" was specifically about the start of the show, and came from a report that also put Digimon as one of their biggest earning titles.

I have read somewhere, though, that most of the show's audience was not among children.

shynely

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You sure you're not misremembering something there?