Interpreting the Lore of the Digimon Reference Book

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ouryumon's reference book profile said:
Ouryumon is an imaginary Digimon born from the "Daydream of a Digicore". It is a form that had even the Digicore's own creativity released through the Interface on its brow, and evolved.
ever since I first read this as a kid I never understood it. What does it mean it's imaginary? It clearly exist? And what makes an imaginary digimon different from a normal digimon enough to even mention it?
I have a theory about this! Dorugamon, DoruGreymon, and DoruGoramon were originally meant to be “non canon” Digimon meant to conceal Dorumon’s true evolutionary line of Raptordramon-Grademon-Alphamon which they had intended to hold back for the third Pendulum X.

The Dorugamon line was thus meant to buy time and build interest before they revealed Dorumon was the leader of the Royal Knights all along and was intended to be simply a dream of Dorumon from x1.

However, somewhere along the way plans changed and the Alphamon line was included in Pen1 anyways.

They kept the profile without remembering the meaning of it and copy pasted bits of it into Ouryuumon’s profile because the two were related.

This also explains the weirdness of Pendulum X 1.5. Originally the base pendulum would’ve shipped with the DeathXDorugamon line (representing DeathXMon growing in Dorumon) with Raptordramon being the bonus prize giving players a glimpse of the future in 1.5! Then they were swapped.

I really have no idea what the kunemon outbreak blurbs are about. I guess I was previously interupting the Kunemon as being like locusts with these armor digimon coming in to control the outbreaks but I'm realizing the armors could also be interpreted as evolving from these caterpillars as Mothmon and Butterflamon are a moth and butterfly. I'm not sure why Honeybeemon or Flybeemon would be included in the outbreak story, though, as honeybees and dragonflies don't come from caterpillars.
I really feel like I need more context from the reference book to understand the reference
Mutant specimens (or evolutions, in this case) are more likely to be found in large swarms. Not because there's a higher percentage, but because of sheer quantity (though apparently large populations also tend to have higher mutation rates). If a mutation occurs in 1 in every 100 specimens; a swarm of 1,000 will probably have at least a couple mutants, while a group of only 10 might not have a single mutant. In the case of locusts/grasshoppers, swarming also results in actual differences in morphology and development.

Also, bees (i.e. Flymon, Honeybeemon) develop from larvae, which is what Kunemon is. Flybeemon is also a dragonfly-bee hybrid, not just a dragonfly (dragonflies also have a larval stage too).

This. Kunemon was intended to be the Eevee of Insect Digimon. Something people forgot after Flymon.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember somebody posted something about Flymon being a "Bee" mimic insect digimon?

Hmm so it's like frogs then? Not all frogs can have same appearances but there are some ones with freaky mutated limbs or even having eyes under the mouth?

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This. Kunemon was intended to be the Eevee of Insect Digimon. Something people forgot after Flymon.
Interesting, I like that idea though it is a shame it wasn't really put into practice as the non-anime Armour Digimon rarely appear and of them Kunemon has only ever Evolved into FanBeemon a single time from a Hyper Colosseum card. :unsure:

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
oh yeah, I kind of forgot thst Kunemon and Flymon have bee/wasp elements to them. When it comes to Kunemon being an "Eevee" of bugs, I'm not quite sure where that comes from? When I think of the Eevees of Digimon I think of Veemon or Pulsemon

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ouryumon's reference book profile said:
Ouryumon is an imaginary Digimon born from the "Daydream of a Digicore". It is a form that had even the Digicore's own creativity released through the Interface on its brow, and evolved.
ever since I first read this as a kid I never understood it. What does it mean it's imaginary? It clearly exist? And what makes an imaginary digimon different from a normal digimon enough to even mention it?
It is imaginary in the sense that it was an evolution generated purely from the "imagination" of the digicore, the same as as with DORUgoramon.
Note that in both lines it is stated that DORUguremon and Hisyaryumon already released the entirety of the data of the Dragon/Beast and Dragon/General. In both cases the Ultimate form does not represent a further release of data but a modification to that data initiated by the core itself.
And this definite statement of "authorship" is something quite unique, since it does not rely on any external factors or outside information from the web like in many other profiles. That's probably part of the point as well; It is a kind of autonomous self-directed change that modern Digimon might simply not be able to achieve anymore since they lack the ability of self-reconfiguration of their core that the old-style interface grants the prototype Digimon.

Mmm so Ofanimon "spared" ChoHakkaimon from the Fallen Angel transformation where it's easy to recognize by their appearances to alert so having Puppet type made her appearance very unrecognizable so she wouldn't get too much attention in public...?
That doesn't really make sense. With heaven being as secluded and highly protected as it is it's unlikely that anyone would really know what is going on there. The deliberately garish pig outfit also looks more like an extension of the punishment and humiliation rather than identity protection

shame yggdrasil or whoever banishing ophanimon wasn't restrained and she ended up in falldown mode as a result. cho-hakkaimon got off lucky
Nothing states that Ofanimon Falldown mode already got banished in the first place.

But Digmon's entry only mentions that the Digimental of Knowledge has the power of "Earth" and nothing to do with insects. Thus I am left wondering which way to take the repeated references to Kunemon - did they stumble across the Digimental of Knowledge and it absorbed their data making all that who afterwards used it become insect types, or was it the other way around and because Kunemon is an insect that that when they flocked together the Digimental sensed that and revealed itself. Curiouser and curiouser... :unsure:
I don't think there needs to be much of a stretch between the element and the Insect types. The Digimental has the Attribute of earth and what you find most commonly crawling on or in earth would be... insects.

I really have no idea what the kunemon outbreak blurbs are about. I guess I was previously interupting the Kunemon as being like locusts with these armor digimon coming in to control the outbreaks but I'm realizing the armors could also be interpreted as evolving from these caterpillars as Mothmon and Butterflamon are a moth and butterfly. I'm not sure why Honeybeemon or Flybeemon would be included in the outbreak story, though, as honeybees and dragonflies don't come from caterpillars.
I really feel like I need more context from the reference book to understand the reference
Mutant specimens (or evolutions, in this case) are more likely to be found in large swarms. Not because there's a higher percentage, but because of sheer quantity (though apparently large populations also tend to have higher mutation rates). If a mutation occurs in 1 in every 100 specimens; a swarm of 1,000 will probably have at least a couple mutants, while a group of only 10 might not have a single mutant. In the case of locusts/grasshoppers, swarming also results in actual differences in morphology and development.

Also, bees (i.e. Flymon, Honeybeemon) develop from larvae, which is what Kunemon is. Flybeemon is also a dragonfly-bee hybrid, not just a dragonfly (dragonflies also have a larval stage too).
I agree with the probability take. Since their profile doesn't state anything about them being rare and mythical I would assume that the majority of all armor evolutions using that Digimental will result "standard" knowledge evolutions like Digmon and Searchmon , with the chance of any others happening being extremely low.
The profiles are still vague about the connection between the outbreak and the evolutions, so they might either refer to Kunemon armor evolving en masse or other insect Digimon armor evolving more frequently in order to contain the outbreak. I kind of gravitate towards the second interpretation because of Kunemon's lack of canonical evolutions into any of them.
Either way the outbreak would have resulted in increased armor evolutions.

When it comes to Kunemon being an "Eevee" of bugs, I'm not quite sure where that comes from? When I think of the Eevees of Digimon I think of Veemon or Pulsemon
Kunemon and Flymon were released only months apart, so I don't think that ever went anywhere if it was even a thing.
The whole idea seems kind of superfluous in a franchise where pretty much any monster evolves into innumerable others but I guess the closest Digimon ever came to that concept, elements and all, would be Aegiomon in Crusaders.

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree with the probability take. Since their profile doesn't state anything about them being rare and mythical I would assume that the majority of all armor evolutions using that Digimental will result "standard" knowledge evolutions like Digmon and Searchmon , with the chance of any others happening being extremely low.
The profiles are still vague about the connection between the outbreak and the evolutions, so they might either refer to Kunemon armor evolving en masse or other insect Digimon armor evolving more frequently in order to contain the outbreak. I kind of gravitate towards the second interpretation because of Kunemon's lack of canonical evolutions into any of them.
Either way the outbreak would have resulted in increased armor evolutions.
The issue with using the "lack of canonical evolutions" as a counter-point is that these Armor Digimon lack such evolutions in the first place. Most still only just have the three or so pre-evolution options from their TCG cards. It's not just a lack of evolving from Kunemon, but a lack of evolving from Digimon in general.

Not to mention, Honeybeemon does have Kunemon as a pre-evolution. Mothmon and Butterflamon have Dokunemon. Only Flybeemon doesn't evolve to neither Kunemon nor Dokunemon, and instead has Wormmon as a larval pre-evolution.

My other issue with the second interpretation is that there is absolutely no information that states that these Armor Digimon are in a hostile or antagonistic relationship with the Kunemon swarms, nor do they mention the presence of any other Digimon (aside from their fellow Armors). The limited information we have only states that these Armor Digimon are mutational evolutions that occur during the emergence of a Kunemon outbreak.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm good point. Chohakkimon's pig costume yeah...

Digimon version of Eevee:

Vmon with largest tree evo branches but so Hawkmon, Armadimon, Wormmon, Patamon and Tailmon with Digiegg evos for extra.
But Wormmon got few more extra Insect evo lines. Tailmon's evo tree is still continuing to expand and even more by having Hiyarimon added due to its profile...

Pulsemon the newest Gym/Sport Eevee

Aegiomon with five forms of Aegiochussmon (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and Black)

Kunemon being Insect "Eevee" is new to me and I find it acceptable since there are still hardly new Insect Child types... When Eevee said to have unstable DNA so I wonder if Kunemon have "unstable" digicore with evolution codes?

But what about Dracomon/Coredramon? Eevee with evolutions require Elemental Stones to evolve excluded certain ones, this Dracomon is the closest one that is similar to Eevee using Gems.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm still confused on why we're calling Kunemon an "Eevee". Where did that come from lol

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
shame yggdrasil or whoever banishing ophanimon wasn't restrained and she ended up in falldown mode as a result. cho-hakkaimon got off lucky
Nothing states that Ofanimon Falldown mode already got banished in the first place.

I meant it happened some time after banishing Cho-Hakkaimon. She was then banished herself, became Falldown Mode and then eventually became Lilithmon

Last edited:

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm still confused on why we're calling Kunemon an "Eevee". Where did that come from lol
Kunemon/Dokunemon was the only Larval Child-stage Insect Digimon until Wormmon and the only Child-stage Insect period. It was used as the Child stage for basically all insect Digimon besides Kabuterimon up until a certain time.

Then later, the four Knowledge Armors came out:

Butterflamon:
Like Flybeemon and Honeybeemon, it is a mythical Digimon that was born due to the power of the Digimental during a large Kunemon outbreak.

Flybeemon:
It is a mythical Digimon that is said to have evolved in a mutant-like manner due to the power of the Digimental when Kunemon emerged in large numbers.

Mothmon:
Like Flybeemon, Honeybeemon and Butterflamon, it is a mythical Digimon that appears when Kunemon emerge in large numbers.

Flybeemon also says this:
It is extremely rare to encounter it with either Honeybeemon or Butterflamon. It is very territorial, and will try to repel those that intrude its territory, even if they are an Ultimate.

Basically, Kunemon all evolve at once akin to cicadas, and the mutation rate is higher the more Kunemon there are in an area. Then the various evolutions of Kunemon compete against their cousins for territory.

The prescence of a Digimental helps with the mutation, but we know from Sagittarimon that Digimentals aren't necessary for Armor evolution.

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
but it debuted the same year as Tentomon?
Same year doesn't mean the same time. They could be 11 months apart and still be in the same year.

Kunemon debuted in the Digital Monster ver.3, while Tentomon debuted in Pendulum 1.0.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Considering the only things Kunemon was in prior to Tentomon's debut was the Ver. 3 and Ver. S, in neither of which it evolved to insect Digimon, the idea that it was originally supposed to be the go-to Child form for all insect Digimon makes no sense at all.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In Digimon World it was the original Insectoid child Digimon, and it was the only one that could evolve into both Kuwagamon and Kabuterimon. And Flymon was obviously designed as its "true evolution." I think because it is the only Child-level Insectoid (besides Wormmon) that is a larva rather than an imago, as a matter of fact in most games Kunemon is usually shunned for Tentomon and Wormmon because of their anime publicity.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Considering the only things Kunemon was in prior to Tentomon's debut was the Ver. 3 and Ver. S, in neither of which it evolved to insect Digimon, the idea that it was originally supposed to be the go-to Child form for all insect Digimon makes no sense at all.

It did evolve to Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon in World 1 though, where Tentomon was only an NPC

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Doesn't matter. My point still stands. It's not like Tentomon wasn't designed to evolve, because it did in its first appearance. If they wanted Kunemon to be their default Insect Child, they messed it up so badly that there's no evidence for it. The evidence people have pointed to is these Digimental of Knowledge profiles, which were written way too late to be relevant.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, but hardly any of the OG V-Pet lines make any sense. Gabumon's best evolution was Kabuterimon, and Kuwagamon was introduced after Kunemon. I was just saying that World kinda designated Kunemon as the Insect Child, like Piyomon more or less being the go to Bird Child (its classified as a Chick-type as opposed to a full Bird). Tentomon (and Wormmon) are more recognizable and likeable, so they often take his place in evolution lines.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For what it's worth according to Jintrix:

It was originally an Angel-species Digimon, but it committed a crime and was turned into this form by Ofanimon, then banished from heaven. It has an optimistic personality, but also took on a ferocious personality with matching hunger.

So the "falling from heaven" came after being transformed into a Puppet Digimon which may have been what saved it from transforming into a "Fallen Angel" Type. I duuno, it's probably not something we're meant to take too serious as it's all a big JtW reference. :unsure:
Oh! She got transformed first, THEN banished. So that’s why she isn’t a Fallen Angel. Though perhaps a Fallen Angel evolution/variant for her would be pretty cool to see.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is why I got confused for that Ofanimon able to transform anybody into... The punished forms. Is she magical witch or what. Holy Light powers are shown to cure any status even Piemon's magic tricks and giving mysterious buffs + forcing evolution but with no stress but this?

... What. It seemed to be some kind of curse to me.

Just... "Now" and let's go with the flow. But I don't think that is really important. Just mere small joke.
But even so, Kunemon's evolution requirements are really too bizarre why specifically Kunemon while DoKunemon and other Insect Child forms don't? If they can make new profiles on Digieggs and mention how do they work like that, I'd be interested to read that.

sirtao

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
about Cho-Hakkaimon:
I think she didn't become a fallen angel because she wasn't CORRUPTED.

Angel-type gets corrupted→becomes Fallen Angel(or Demon Lord for the highest ranked\most corrupted)
Cho-Hakkaimon "just" committed a crime, which doesn't imply "moral corruption"

Given her profile I'd say "she did eat something she wasn't supposed to eat", she didn't do it out of malice(thus she wasn't corrupted) but got punished because it was still a crime.