Interpreting the Lore of the Digimon Reference Book

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Was... That profile very old for Mamemon?

Also I didn't know Patamon's profile got edited twice. Any lucks on those existing old profiles to check? I need the proof to see.

Come to think of it. Crack Team, D-Bridage and other mysterious organizations will be never revealed ever as they still design newest digimon ones who happens to have connections with those shady groups in the future eh? I have a feeling about this, they were probably simply references to their real life versions? Because Plotmon, Labramon and others with their origins are being treated as it's just digital world residents not a single trace of "artificial manmade" interaction/observation in those. Not sure about Digimon card game 2020 because it's simply artists drawing to reference it.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why isn’t ChoHakkaimon a true Fallen Angel type? Is her fall to a Puppet type better than becoming a Fallen Angel (as they’re usually evil) or worse (you’re no longer considered a Holy or Dark Digimon at all)?

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ouryumon's reference book profile said:
Ouryumon is an imaginary Digimon born from the "Daydream of a Digicore". It is a form that had even the Digicore's own creativity released through the Interface on its brow, and evolved.
ever since I first read this as a kid I never understood it. What does it mean it's imaginary? It clearly exist? And what makes an imaginary digimon different from a normal digimon enough to even mention it?

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ouryumon's reference book profile said:
Ouryumon is an imaginary Digimon born from the "Daydream of a Digicore". It is a form that had even the Digicore's own creativity released through the Interface on its brow, and evolved.
ever since I first read this as a kid I never understood it. What does it mean it's imaginary? It clearly exist? And what makes an imaginary digimon different from a normal digimon enough to even mention it?
I thought it is because it is an experimental digimon

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It sounded like as if Ryudamon's digicore is something similar to Rimuru's Rapheal. Or maybe unique ability to daydream to imagine according to Ryudamon's inner desire to birth imaginary form to register like Sanzomon's digicore said to be much purer energy that enough to spread a rumor to cause everyone thinking it can grant immortality or released from all injury and diseases (unconfirmed?) but it sounded like Ryudamon's digicore has a mind of its own processing high calculator that mimics "human mind".

Well still hard to determine like that.

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why isn’t ChoHakkaimon a true Fallen Angel type? Is her fall to a Puppet type better than becoming a Fallen Angel (as they’re usually evil) or worse (you’re no longer considered a Holy or Dark Digimon at all)?
because she isn´t based on an angel, she is based on Zhu Bajie from journey to the west, a pig dude who was kicked out of buddhist heaven for misbehavior.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
because she isn´t based on an angel, she is based on Zhu Bajie from journey to the west, a pig dude who was kicked out of buddhist heaven for misbehavior.
I think they meant in context of the Digital World's universe, not the real life explanation.
Devimon and Demon's profiles mention how they wound up in the Dark Area (Demon out of being deleted and Devimon possibly out of its own choice?) rather than winding up on Earth like Cho Hakkaimon did, so that may be why it's a puppet and not a devil/demon

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think they meant in context of the Digital World's universe, not the real life explanation.
Devimon and Demon's profiles mention how they wound up in the Dark Area (Demon out of being deleted and Devimon possibly out of its own choice?) rather than winding up on Earth like Cho Hakkaimon did, so that may be why it's a puppet and not a devil/demon

or Digimon heaven (kernel) has more than just angels in it and they can be kicked out too

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
or Digimon heaven (kernel) has more than just angels in it and they can be kicked out too
that was my initial thought but I double checked and Cho Hakkaimon's profile does specify that it was an angel. I would imagine heaven to have non-angels such as Manticoremons and Gargoylemons like you said

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
that was my initial thought but I double checked and Cho Hakkaimon's profile does specify that it was an angel. I would imagine heaven to have non-angels such as Manticoremons and Gargoylemons like you said

Huh, then that is weird after all. Guess you have to be sent to the Dark Area to fall.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For what it's worth according to Jintrix:

It was originally an Angel-species Digimon, but it committed a crime and was turned into this form by Ofanimon, then banished from heaven. It has an optimistic personality, but also took on a ferocious personality with matching hunger.

So the "falling from heaven" came after being transformed into a Puppet Digimon which may have been what saved it from transforming into a "Fallen Angel" Type. I duuno, it's probably not something we're meant to take too serious as it's all a big JtW reference. :unsure:

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know, but the RL story is what inspired it so they tried to fit it into the lore of Digimon and since there is only one heaven they went with that one, it also makes sense with Shakamons profile saying to be rumorred to be the closest to Yggdrasil, and Sakuyamon and Kongoumon both being Agents of God, interestingly Kongoumons profile specifys that it serves God seperate from the Angel Digimon.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ofanimon is also the loving and merciful side of god, so Cho Hakkaimon's form (and perhaps also Sagomon's?) and earthly banishment rather than a banishment to a more punishing area might have been out of restraint and mercy

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ofanimon is also the loving and merciful side of god, so Cho Hakkaimon's form (and perhaps also Sagomon's?) and earthly banishment rather than a banishment to a more punishing area might have been out of restraint and mercy

shame yggdrasil or whoever banishing ophanimon wasn't restrained and she ended up in falldown mode as a result. cho-hakkaimon got off lucky

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mmm so Ofanimon "spared" ChoHakkaimon from the Fallen Angel transformation where it's easy to recognize by their appearances to alert so having Puppet type made her appearance very unrecognizable so she wouldn't get too much attention in public...?

Now this is my new personal headcanon.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, whilst waiting forever for "Digimon Survive" to come out I've been passing the days by imaging what Evo-Lines the main character's partner Digimons would have assuming that they would change depending on the choices you make (I can't remember if that was just speculation or not).

Anyways, when I reached Ryou I started to notice an inexplicable connection between Kunemon and the Digimental of Knowledge. This extract from Mothmon's Reference Book entry should illustrate what I mean:

Mothmon said:
An Armor-level Insect Digimon that evolved through the power of the "Digimental of Knowledge". Like Flybeemon, Honeybeemon and Butterflamon, it is a mythical Digimon that appears when Kunemon emerge in large numbers.

But Digmon's entry only mentions that the Digimental of Knowledge has the power of "Earth" and nothing to do with insects. Thus I am left wondering which way to take the repeated references to Kunemon - did they stumble across the Digimental of Knowledge and it absorbed their data making all that who afterwards used it become insect types, or was it the other way around and because Kunemon is an insect that that when they flocked together the Digimental sensed that and revealed itself. Curiouser and curiouser... :unsure:

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
could also mean those digimon fought the Kunemon, it doesn't specify who used the digieggs just that an outbreak of Kunemons happened

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah Kunemon's evolutions towards Digiegg of Knowledge is very bizarre.

Flybeemon: Kunemon merged in large numbers but on low encounter rates.
Mothmon: Kunemon in large numbers, it will appear along with those swarms yet it is called "Mythical"
Butterflamon: Kunemon in outbreak when birthed.

Not sure how it worked like that but I can imagine when you pop spider eggs, they instantly swarm everywhere and you will faint for sure.
So in this digimon logic, when you see the large amount of Kunemon swarms, you tend to see one standing out among those swarms that is surely not one of them? I guess?

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really have no idea what the kunemon outbreak blurbs are about. I guess I was previously interupting the Kunemon as being like locusts with these armor digimon coming in to control the outbreaks but I'm realizing the armors could also be interpreted as evolving from these caterpillars as Mothmon and Butterflamon are a moth and butterfly. I'm not sure why Honeybeemon or Flybeemon would be included in the outbreak story, though, as honeybees and dragonflies don't come from caterpillars.
I really feel like I need more context from the reference book to understand the reference

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really have no idea what the kunemon outbreak blurbs are about. I guess I was previously interupting the Kunemon as being like locusts with these armor digimon coming in to control the outbreaks but I'm realizing the armors could also be interpreted as evolving from these caterpillars as Mothmon and Butterflamon are a moth and butterfly. I'm not sure why Honeybeemon or Flybeemon would be included in the outbreak story, though, as honeybees and dragonflies don't come from caterpillars.
I really feel like I need more context from the reference book to understand the reference
Mutant specimens (or evolutions, in this case) are more likely to be found in large swarms. Not because there's a higher percentage, but because of sheer quantity (though apparently large populations also tend to have higher mutation rates). If a mutation occurs in 1 in every 100 specimens; a swarm of 1,000 will probably have at least a couple mutants, while a group of only 10 might not have a single mutant. In the case of locusts/grasshoppers, swarming also results in actual differences in morphology and development.

Also, bees (i.e. Flymon, Honeybeemon) develop from larvae, which is what Kunemon is. Flybeemon is also a dragonfly-bee hybrid, not just a dragonfly (dragonflies also have a larval stage too).