Insert Bold Poetic Title Involving Jillas Here

Jillas

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First an introduction: I am Jillas. That is all.

I suppose this is more convenient than reviving my LiveJournal for the third time - I never could remember to keep it up to date. This will have to do for discussing my daily trivialities. I mostly just started this up because today's schedule in particular is quite daunting, and I am not looking forward to it.

Rock gardening is the closest descriptor I can find to it. My task for the date is to pull weeds in the rock pits surrounding the house, because the previous tenants liked to cut corners at every bend when it came to taking care of the house. For four years, since the day of purchase, we have done nothing but fix this house. The plumbing was passable at a glance, but upon closer inspection warranted total replacement, cupboard doors would occasionally leap off their hinges and attack the opener, the insulation in the back garage could be found laying in heaps on the floor in greater volumes than one found in the ceiling or walls, windows were cracked, wouldn't open, or just too nasty to look through, and for the love of God, what possessed them to replace every closet doorway with a sliding mirror?

I remember first moving into the house and jumping out of my skin every time I passed a closet door, only to find my reflection staring back just as startled as I was. I could not sleep for the first few nights, because my bedroom felt larger than it actually was with the large mirror closet. Within a month, I was already sick of my reflection and cleaning the fingerprints off my closet. But enough on that - back to my task for the day.

Because the previous owners decided to use cheap plastic to line the decorative rock pits, weeds grow strait through them. Because the job market is atrocious and I have thus far failed to attain a new job, my task is to not only pick the weeds for a week strait, but to remove the rocks as well so we can replace them with wood chips and the correct plastic. I suppose it is fair trade, considering that my parents could just as easily kick me out instead, however I somehow feel like I would rather just work eight hours a day at a job I hate for the rest of this week, rather than get on my hands and knees and pick out the rocks and weeds one by one.

To make things worse, the many years of weeds pushing their way up into the sunlight has brought with them tons and tons of dirt intermingled into the mix. Now, we don't have leather gardening gloves in my size, but I have no problem with getting my hands dirty. Quite the contrary - I love playing with dirt. My problem comes with what has taken residence in the dirt. I already spent four hours of yesterday acquainting myself with the ant colony in the first small rock pit, and do not look forward to it again.

So as of this moment, I eagerly await my load of laundry to wash and dry so I can get right out to my grueling task. Somebody please tell me there is some mythical landscaping fairy I can call on to do this for me.

arvind102

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First the of all: there is? Also wow you got it though.... my house is almost clean until I eat breakfast.

Jillas

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Arvind102 link=topic=9414.msg113300#msg113300 date=1216051065]
First the of all: there is? Also wow you got it though.... my house is almost clean until I eat breakfast.
[/quote] No, I was just joking about the fairy.

I do not really believe that I have it all that tough. I mean, it could be worse, right? I could have to actually do this for a living. Normally I am not one to complain about being given manual labor, but this is something that took four hours to do with help, and I am expected to get it done by myself despite my two sisters being home with working limbs.

In any case, tomorrow's agenda ensues shoveling dirt into a homemade grater to separate the rocks from the dirt. Then I will haul it off to the back yard and dump it out to even the yard up a little. I'll easily have to do this a good many times, as there is a lot of dirt. Today's work was six hours long in the hot sun - I wore long-sleeved clothing because of the deer flies. (Those suckers hurt when they bite.)

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel your pain, I had to do the same thing two years in a row, first around my pool when it burst, then in the front of the house. The sifting is really annoying >_< and I remember I had gotten a few cuts on my hands from the rocks. I don't mind getting dirty either, but its annoying work indeed.

Vallant

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dear lord Jillas, that sounds like fun; wish I could join you :-\

Ummmm what to say other than I feel your pain :p. Oh are they paying you for this?

Jillas

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They are indeed not paying me for this, but I am freeloading so it is a fair enough deal to me. I just hope to get a job soon so that I can pay them rent - then I will still have to do it, but it will be with their help and will not be treated like a punishment for not being able to get a job, so much.