If you could rewrite any Digimon series

Hydranoid413

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They're just pieces of the Human and Beast Spirits stuck together to make a form that doesn't look all that new (because the component forms already look like each other). Was this a toy thing?
Aldamon, BeoWolfmon and the non-show Reichmon are all designed to work as toys by combining parts from their Human and Beast Spirits (or alternately you can combine them into the Ancients), Susanoomon and Zero Arms Orochi are also designed to be a combo of KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon’s toys

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've come up with a few for some pre-Adventure: shows. It's been over a decade since I've seen anything pre-Appmon/tri, so my memory isn't as good for those, though. Not that it was good to start with...

Frontier:

Remove the Hybrid forms

Many have pointed out that Frontier has a balance issue with its protagonists. Takuya and Koji are the only ones to go past the Human-Beast levels, which makes the others come across as a bit underpowered.

This wasn't new to Digimon, but other shows typically only did it once. Frontier on the other hand did it twice (three if you count Susanoomon, but everyone got to use it in the end anyway).

Also, I have to ask. Does anyone really care about these forms? They're just pieces of the Human and Beast Spirits stuck together to make a form that doesn't look all that new (because the component forms already look like each other). Was this a toy thing?

Oh you meant the fusion forms. All the forms in that series are hybrid (cus that's the level) so I was confused. Most media pretends aldamon and Beowulfmon don't exist and that seems like the best way to do it since those forms exist. When they do use them they drop everyone down one level due to how many forms there are which becomes annoying when Agunimon etc are rookie. It really is best to just have Kaiser/Magna then have dudes like daipenmon equal to them

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure 2020 (or heck, an IDW Digimon comic now that I think about it):

* Bring more emphasis on the Black Gears early on, perhaps making the Dark Rings a direct upgrade of them.
* As for MOTWs, Calamarmon, after being defeated, would be a black gear victim, and devolve into a Ranamon who returns for the Etemon/Volcamon stuff. The three later form a band.
* Make Etemon a RECURRING nuisance, not just a one-off foe. This would allow him to challenge the heroes a few times, without needing to be slain.
* What if Mameo and/or Kentaro got in? I feel like emphasizing the differences between Tamers and Chosen would be a fun topic to showcase. Mameo would be a very different sort of character from the others; less privileged but more experienced, relying more on permanent evolution.
* Tease the 02 Chosen early on, and perhaps reveal them eventually, setting up a hook into an 02 relaunch. Maybe also hint at the Tamers crew, the Frontier Chosen, and more?
* DATS as recurring antagonists (even if not villainous) trying to patrol the digital world and it’s exterior for the safety of the world. They initially see the Digidestined as dangerous rogues, but come to agree with them when they learn the truth. Yoshino would be the “face” of DATS, and her partner is still Lalamon. Then reveal Hypnos as a rogue branch of DATS; and members could include Oikawa and Yamaki.

Tri:
* Turn the series into an anthology of stories from all previous anime, and possibly games and manga if it does well enough. Adventure alone isn’t enough, even if it could be the main narrative.
* Obviously, cut down the evolution sequences so that we don’t have to watch every single evolution, so we can have more time to do other stuff.
* Reveal more about Archnemon and Mummymon, especially how they weren’t considered evil enough to go to the Dark Ocean after their demise. BlackWargreymon’s death probably helped them reincarnate normally.

shynely

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
* DATS as recurring antagonists (even if not villainous) trying to patrol the digital world and it’s exterior for the safety of the world. They initially see the Digidestined as dangerous rogues, but come to agree with them when they learn the truth. Yoshino would be the “face” of DATS, and her partner is still Lalamon. Then reveal Hypnos as a rogue branch of DATS; and members could include Oikawa and Yamaki.

I'm not seeing how Adventure 2020 would be improved by, of all the things that could possibly be done, adding weirdly bastardized versions of even more pre-existing human characters.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Not said like that but I agree. I like a few of those. Like Ranamon. But that's me. The Etemon thing could be fun and if we were going to get an 02 then we should set them up.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've come up with a few for some pre-Adventure: shows. It's been over a decade since I've seen anything pre-Appmon/tri, so my memory isn't as good for those, though. Not that it was good to start with...

Frontier:

Remove the Hybrid forms

Many have pointed out that Frontier has a balance issue with its protagonists. Takuya and Koji are the only ones to go past the Human-Beast levels, which makes the others come across as a bit underpowered.

This wasn't new to Digimon, but other shows typically only did it once. Frontier on the other hand did it twice (three if you count Susanoomon, but everyone got to use it in the end anyway).

Also, I have to ask. Does anyone really care about these forms? They're just pieces of the Human and Beast Spirits stuck together to make a form that doesn't look all that new (because the component forms already look like each other). Was this a toy thing?
Some theorize that the Fusion Hybrids came about late in development, which would make sense when you consider that most of the Ancient Digimon already look to be a fusion of the Human and Beast forms in the first place (and they were, after all, where the Spirits originated from). At any rate, I'm okay with the Fusion forms existing. To a lesser extent, I'm even somewhat okay with all but Aldamon and Beowolfmon only existing outside of the Frontier anime (it's not as if all but the main leads didn't get screwed out of having a final form before, with Tamers having been the only outlier at that point). What I do take issue with, however, is that they apparently gave up on designing a complete set of them after all the protagonists had one. Like, where the hell is the Fusion form for the Earth, Water, Wood, and Steel Spirits (and corrupted Darkness, ideally)? They make up the 10 elements presented in Frontier as well, but because they were exclusive to the villains, they're just gonna stop halfway? And almost 20 years later, they STILL never bothered with them.

I also don't like that only Fire and Light have a Transcendent Hybrid form, but at least those have the excuse of using up all the Spirits, so they can technically be an evolution of all of them as well.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the idea for give the others fusion forms. Though you could argue that three heroes didn't really get a form like that. I would have liked to see more. ...I figured a Water spirit fusion would be like a bigger/"older" squid like Jellymon or Inkling/Octoling from Splatoon.

EruKimia

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All this hybird/fusion form remind me

Rework ice hybird. I don't want see Tomoki(or anyone, really) evolve into daipenmon

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A few things I’d change for the first two main XW arcs:

* Nene doesn’t get shoved aside. Though her treatment in Hunters is worse, this wasn’t great either.
* Make Luka a real human who was captured by Splashmon and is being impersonated using a Drippin, establishing that the modified Digital World is a dangerous place for humans as well, and tease the instability of DigiQuartz for the third arc. Yes, once Luka is rescued, she’s able to escape to the real world, and is able to get a lo
* Give Akari an Xros Loader at the halfway point, to allow her to go into the Digital World with Dorulumon as her main partner and a few other Digimon forming her Army. Zenjirou would be able to keep in touch using a Ganbare Monitamon (yay, product placement) game given to him by Omegamon. This would build up to him getting a loader for Hunters. There would be a backstory for the Ganbare Monitamon unit; a group of Monitamon created them by reverse-engineering Xros Loaders stolen from the Bagra Army, and Bagramon killed them all, but decided to distribute the units to the Real World anyway, as it wouldn't be fair otherwise.
* Bring in Kotone from the manga. And thus also the additional Super Evolutions.
* About the “Digimon predating humanity”, imply that Gilgamesh was a Guilmon, for example.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think you missed a bit about Luka. Though if it's what I think then she'd fit in with YH since there was a ton of Hunters.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think you missed a bit about Luka. Though if it's what I think then she'd fit in with YH since there was a ton of Hunters.
Yes, she’d fit well with Young Hunters, and in order to emphasize the danger of the Bagra Army, she’ll be given a backstory that would give her sympathy and give a reason why Splashmon captured her and made her duplicate act that way. To be exact, Luca is a bit of a crybaby herself, and was a lonely, only child in her family, as her father was a workaholic who later worked himself to death, while her mother also disliked her and blamed her for his demise. Splashmon, who looked oddly like her father, led her away while she was at summer camp, where she did have lots of friends there, as she had just gotten lost. Splashmon then decided to capture her to keep as a curiosity. Gravimon suggested to him that he create a puppet of her when he learned of a warring band of humans, and use it to humiliate her and ruin her image in the eyes of the heroes. She later starts becoming interested in Zenjirou, and becomes his close friend and love interest, also getting a G-Monitamon as a communicator. For Young Hunters, (actually, in the last few episodes of DG when they go back to the Real World, but they're mainly used in Hunters) their G-Monitamon devices turn into Xros Loaders.

Last edited:

DaisukeDoi7

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If I can give a run-down on what I would love from a rewrite

Adventure: Give the children Mega evolutions. They would probably need more character development and a longer story for this, but I'd rather Adventure not just be a "Tai and Matt show". I'd also make Our War Game it's own specific arc rather than a movie.

02: I'd rewrite a lot of things to make the characters more impactful. I wished the 02 cast had crests, or even sort of "absorbed" the crests of the other characters. Make Davis a dork at the beginning, but make his character arc about learning how to become his own leader and maybe give him a sort of conflict about being seen as "lesser" than Tai and the rest of his peers. Matches well with the whole Courage + Friendship aspect about him. I remember hearing about Yolei having issues with her family at home, so I feel like having a character arc about that would be amazing. Also, give her the crest of knowledge and the crest of love as it fits her better. Likewise, give Cody the crest of Purity and make him more interesting than how he is in 02. TK and Kari are fine, and Ken should have more emphasis on regretting his past decisions. I'd also make Wallace a sort of another 6th ranger, and make the Daemon plot its own arc. For fanboy-ish stuff, I'd let Silphymon and Shakkoumon have their mega forms, and maybe let the 02 cast gain those evolutions normally at the end of the series? Maybe change Shakkoumon's mega as well so we don't have another Zudomon. You'd have to rewrite a lot about 02 in general, but I think making characters more fleshed out overall would be a good first step.

Also the Ryo stuff should be written out of the anime canon, how it connects to Tamers just makes things super confusing. Keep it it's own gameverse canon or something

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like they should have continued the Ryo games or something similar for Frontier and onwards, to develop the storylines and characters better, and continue to establish the multiverse. I know Savers had Another Mission, but it didn’t have as much new content and it contradicted the show at times. Also give him a bigger role in Young Hunters.

Anyway, add in the manga and game characters, at the very least Zeromaru and Mameo, to the Hunters finale, even if they do less than the existing anime crossover cast does, it would still be cool to see them traditionally animated, and would acknowledge their legitimacy. This would help it serve as a true celebration of the series. I also wonder why they didn’t do movies for XW or Universe?

shynely

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The movies that tied with then-current shows mainly premiered at Toei Anime Fair, which they stopped holding after the Frontier era.

Seems that Savers got a "movie" out because it was a double bill with a Precure movie.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A lot of these shows might double bill. Toku series always do that. That's why Power Ranger/Sentai movies can be 30 min while Masked Rider movies are close to 90 min.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've had a number of fanfic ideas over the years for sequels to Digimon anime series (actually writing one of them), but the only one I thought could benefit from a wholesale reworking was Appmon, just to tighten it up and fix the tone. I mean, Adventure 2020 could use a little reworking too, but I don't tend to think in terms of fan fiction anymore.

Sorry for the late reply and not to deviate from the topic, but why did you abandon fan fiction?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I decided it was more important to devote time and effort to my original (and potentially remunerative) work.

Agent Z

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure, Tamers: Fine as is.

02: Replace Takeru and Hikari with Wallace as a main character so everyone is fresh. Incorporate Hurricane Touchdown into the main arc. Trim down the pre-BWGreymon Spire arc. Make Oikawa the final antagonist instead of Vamdemon.

Frontier: Just deleting most of the Royal Knights arc would improve everything. Let the kids use the captured spirits for themselves, less focus on Takuya and Koji.

Savers: Make Chika have a bigger role.

Xross Wars: Fine narratively. Would’ve kept Zenjiro and Akane around. Shoutmon’s forms would get total redesign to look more like Shoutmon and less like Dorurumon on tippy toes.

Appmon: Needs more coherence in the first part of the story, make it less Yokai Watch-y. Just have Appmon as a minor subspecies of Digimon akin to X antibodies.

Tri: Give Sora an arc. She’s the only one without one. Delete Dark Gennai. Delete Yggdrasil and Homeostasis. Just have Meicoomon’s dark side as main antagonist.

Kizuna: Have the partnerships “end” by making it so a Chosen Adult naturally has their Digimon forced to become Adult stage permanently making it difficult for them to live in the real world. Give the Digimon their own goals and aspirations they want to achieve in the Digital World as Adults.

2020: Not much worth salvaging, adapt V Tamer instead.
I do like Willis joining the Adventure 02 cast but I'm torn on him replacing Hikari and Takeru.

Renegade_Productions

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm sure this has been done before, but it's worth a shot.

Now that Adventure: is over, I had a thought: we all having varying opinions on the quality of each series, but I'm sure even the most positive person has an aspect or twenty they'd like to change.

So I ask: if there was any part of a Digimon series' story you'd like to change, be it big or small, what would it be? Note this doesn't necessarily have to be from an anime. The manga and video games are also acceptable.

From memory...

Frontier: An obvious change, but make the Spirits able to talk to the kids at any time. Onmyou Taisenki did this with Kogenta and the many other Shikigami, though it came out years later and no doubt learned from the mistakes Frontier made.

Savers/Data Squad: Make the Digimon incidents in the real world go on for a while longer before going to the Digital World long-term; don't overtly tell Marcus that there's a problem with the Digital Barrier until RizeGreymon appears; mention Marcus' father more often by his family in the first 13 episodes; and scale the final real world destruction arc WAY back. That much havok is on par with what the Great War did in Fallout and would upset every life that survived.

Agent Z

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like most series could be cleaned up a bit so I'll just put in a list of stuff I think should be changed fundamental from the ground up from least work to most.

Frontier: I just think it's kind of boring overall. Use all of your characters more, be a bit less repetitive near the end. Have Kouichi's character arc be more than just a mystery.

Tri: Have everyone deal with their problems in a different that doesn't equate to all of them running away from confrontation with each other. (Don't make them literally run away from confrontation with each other.) I think all of their character arcs need to be cleaned up and focused on more and some of them should get new ones like Takeru and Sora. Sora's who boiled down to an forced inverse of her original episode with Piyomon and Takeru who's arc was just wasteful angst that gets spread around to everyone else and to be the mouth piece to forgive Meiko for the group.

Homeostasis was a cop-out antagonist so the kids could do the right thing the second time around and should have just stayed an over watching force that had Huckmon enforce it's will earlier. Dark Genai was a waste of a mystery, just brainwash the 02 kids instead. This last bit is also for Kizuna, if one of your major over arcing theme is "growing up" show us "growing up" in more positive and negative ways instead of just needlessly wax on about it without anything to show for it. I guess I'd like a better distinction between "growing up" and "getting older."

02: I think this whole show is a mess. It biggest problem is that the longer it goes the more agency the characters lose. So let's try to give characters as much as they can.

No Vamdemon possession, in fact he could be cut, a bit too pander-y for my taste. I guess you could just have Oikawa work with Daemon with both planing to backstab the other eventually. No dark spores, that was the final nail in the coffin of Ken's agency as the Kaiser, meaning I can't buy his redemption arc as a whole. Continuing with Kaiser/Ken, they still don't feel like the same character so we can keep the dark ocean's plot points but you could also give it it's own arc and villain instead of just being a plot contrivance. Also use that time to give Takeru and Hikari full arcs.

Don't focus Ken's arc on redemption and but put focus on trying to figure out what type of person he is and wants to be. And seeing how that narrative spot is taken up, either cut BlackWarGreymon completely or hold off on Ken being a member of the group and make those two team up. You can cut the Holy Stones as well, and replace that with the Dark Ocean.

02 has a lot of plot points I don't care for and then it executes them poorly so that's as close as I can get without changing it completely.
I (partly) understand that argument for Ken but how were other characters lacking agency?