If you could rewrite any Digimon series

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm sure this has been done before, but it's worth a shot.

Now that Adventure: is over, I had a thought: we all having varying opinions on the quality of each series, but I'm sure even the most positive person has an aspect or twenty they'd like to change.

So I ask: if there was any part of a Digimon series' story you'd like to change, be it big or small, what would it be? Note this doesn't necessarily have to be from an anime. The manga and video games are also acceptable.

I'll start with Adventure because it's fresh in my mind and I'm lazy:

Trim or remove the Algomon fight. This fight took one episode too long and ate up time that could've been used for our protagonists. Also, we already have a good Our War Game Rehash. It's called Summer Wars.

Have Matt be recurring before joining the group proper. I think the "Matt sees the others helping him despite how he treated them" was good on paper, but weak in execution. When you think about it, he's feeling "Friendship" from a group of mostly strangers. I think it'd be super improved if he showed up every other ep and built up a begrudging relationship with the others before agreeing to help them.

Have Ogremon show up more. Just to build up his rivalry with Agumon a bit earlier and make Devimon's betrayal a little more impactful. Maybe one or two more appearances.

Spread out the Evolutions. I said it before, but I think the pacing in this show isn't good. I don't see why they needed to rush through the Ultimates when the Megas aren't coming for 40+ eps. They don't have to wait as long as the original, but at least space them out a bit.

Have TK enter the Digital World earlier. I think the Holy Digimon plot would be improved if TK appeared a bit early. Have Tai's group (so he'd be away from Matt) find TK captured by Devimon's forces, he'd need to be protected until they found his partner. He and Matt would reunite during the Eyesmon conflict, then he, Matt, and Tai would end up separated from the others because of Devimon. The rest of the arc would go mostly as-is.

More to come later/when I come up with them.

Thoughts?

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For Adventure 2020:

1. Have proper villains with various personalities and motives. I prefer Frontier-esque villains (Evil Cherubimon, Royal Knights and Lucemon) and they are also strong enough to last at least one episode. I'd love to see digimon like Chaosmon (he could fill in Algomon's role for the series) appearing

2. More background story for the chosen children and some relevant characters like Leomon so deeper character development and emotional connection that has been severely lacking. A betrayal of some kind from supposed "friends" could work perfectly

3. Similiar to last one, get chosen children together more often like how original Adventure did it and because of it there is a sense of them as a group not just a collection of individuals mash together quickly

4. Deeper world building. Again I would prefer the world building from Frontier which is easy for young audience to understand and detailed enough to get them interested. Add in some mysteries such as Dark Ocean would do no harm either

5. OP & ED songs. Digivolution songs are fine but since it is part of Digimon franchise a series with no opeing & ending songs from artists who sang through previous series which disappointed me a lot because music is integral part for Digimon anime series

Last edited:

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tri part 5 and 6 are combined. Ordinemon dies then King Drasil shows up as the final boss and dies

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've had a number of fanfic ideas over the years for sequels to Digimon anime series (actually writing one of them), but the only one I thought could benefit from a wholesale reworking was Appmon, just to tighten it up and fix the tone. I mean, Adventure 2020 could use a little reworking too, but I don't tend to think in terms of fan fiction anymore.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First Adventure: ...Megas for everyone? That could be fun. This was fixed in Adventure again.
02: ...Maybe just ending weirdness but again, also Megas. And more Wormmon evos. That could be cool.
Tamers: The series? Not much since there wasn't too much to change. Maybe change the dub for Ryo but that's just my thing. It's a lesser used joke now. Like the 02 ending. Any after material? No comment.
Frontier: More evos! The other kids were basically useless after a while. ...Not that Fairymon seemed really useful to start with sometimes. But I also wish there was one more girl. They might could have used that. ...No this isn't about Ranamon but yes it is about that beach episode. Weirdness.
Savers: Not much actually. It'd have been cool to see all the other Megas. ...Yes. That is a recurring theme. But maybe a full line for Gizamon? Gizmon? What was that fake Mon the villain made? For reasons. And maybe make it Lotusmon instead of Rosemon.
Xros Wars: Give the other two kids Digivices earlier. Since the two things Hunters did right was give them that and bring Yuu's Mon back. Since they just made Davis 2.0 but that Spiderverse type ending was cool.
Appmon: 2nd female human! Yeah. Ai seemed a bit more important then whoever that other reoccurring character was. Plus we didn't have a female Appmon MC. It's not like she was busy being the MC's OTP. That was Yujin. Sure did enjoy the female MC we got but still.
Adventure again: Maybe spread out some evos, not make Tai so important and the one thing only one other person on here would agree on I bet, add in another character. Who? Meiko. Yes. Why not? It's not like I said Ken or Ryo. Mostly just a big tightening up.

Not much for a few but again, more full lines and maybe 1 more character for some. That's it really.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure, Tamers: Fine as is.

02: Replace Takeru and Hikari with Wallace as a main character so everyone is fresh. Incorporate Hurricane Touchdown into the main arc. Trim down the pre-BWGreymon Spire arc. Make Oikawa the final antagonist instead of Vamdemon.

Frontier: Just deleting most of the Royal Knights arc would improve everything. Let the kids use the captured spirits for themselves, less focus on Takuya and Koji.

Savers: Make Chika have a bigger role.

Xross Wars: Fine narratively. Would’ve kept Zenjiro and Akane around. Shoutmon’s forms would get total redesign to look more like Shoutmon and less like Dorurumon on tippy toes.

Appmon: Needs more coherence in the first part of the story, make it less Yokai Watch-y. Just have Appmon as a minor subspecies of Digimon akin to X antibodies.

Tri: Give Sora an arc. She’s the only one without one. Delete Dark Gennai. Delete Yggdrasil and Homeostasis. Just have Meicoomon’s dark side as main antagonist.

Kizuna: Have the partnerships “end” by making it so a Chosen Adult naturally has their Digimon forced to become Adult stage permanently making it difficult for them to live in the real world. Give the Digimon their own goals and aspirations they want to achieve in the Digital World as Adults.

2020: Not much worth salvaging, adapt V Tamer instead.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just have Appmon as a minor subspecies of Digimon akin to X antibodies.
Hard disagree, Appmon are most definitely not meant to be a subspecies of Digimon like the X-Antibodies or even remotely related to them beyond being digital lifeforms. Shit like this is why I loathe the idea of trying to shoehorn Appmon into being Digimon.

Hell Adventure 2020, the series that has included countless obscure Digimon from across the franchise's history, did not include even one Appmon. What does that tell you about whether or not Appmon are actually "Digimon" as opposed to their own lifeform?

VamAngemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd rewrite the whole of Hunters to sow thematic seeds for the crossover from the beginning.

The36thKnight

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure: could've done more with the Holy Digimon. I remember someone here saying it would be cool if Falcomon and Spadamon turned out to be Valdurmon and SlashAngemon.

Hard disagree, Appmon are most definitely not meant to be a subspecies of Digimon like the X-Antibodies or even remotely related to them beyond being digital lifeforms. Shit like this is why I loathe the idea of trying to shoehorn Appmon into being Digimon.

Hell Adventure 2020, the series that has included countless obscure Digimon from across the franchise's history, did not include even one Appmon. What does that tell you about whether or not Appmon are actually "Digimon" as opposed to their own lifeform?
But what's wrong with classifying Appmon as Digimon? I don't think we lose or ruin anything. Sure they are look way too different, but we have -mons that bridge the gap, like Hackmon and Beautymon. Levels might be a problem, but honestly I don't think you need match them (Child = Standard), inconsistent levels are a thing (Hybrid, Armor, Xros).

As for your second point, you're kinda twisting the what OP said. Appmon are not Digimon, so why would Adventure 2020 add them? OP is saying that Appmon SHOULD be counted as Digimon, not ARE Digimon.

Rimokon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure: could've done more with the Holy Digimon. I remember someone here saying it would be cool if Falcomon and Spadamon turned out to be Valdurmon and SlashAngemon.

But what's wrong with classifying Appmon as Digimon? I don't think we lose or ruin anything. Sure they are look way too different, but we have -mons that bridge the gap, like Hackmon and Beautymon. Levels might be a problem, but honestly I don't think you need match them (Child = Standard), inconsistent levels are a thing (Hybrid, Armor, Xros).

As for your second point, you're kinda twisting the what OP said. Appmon are not Digimon, so why would Adventure 2020 add them? OP is saying that Appmon SHOULD be counted as Digimon, not ARE Digimon.
I kinda wished Appmons appeared in the early episodes when some of the chosen children are travelling through the network. After all, Appmons are usually residing in the Network / Net Ocean / whatever it is called.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would not have written Hunters at all but would still have a crossover.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except Appmon don't use Levels period; Hybrid and Armor are special levels that exist outside the traditional six but there by is and large an actual consistency to it and Xros Wars as a category was used exclusively for one generation of Digimon before the aforementioned generation were given traditional Levels based on a set of rules so there is a consistently there too.

You're missing my point and why I disagree with that assessment in the first place, it's not just that Appmon aren't but rather that they shouldn't have to be Digimon to exist.

It was Pokémon's cowardice that forced the Ultra Beasts to be Pokémon when they should have been allowed to be their set of own lifeforms that exist concurrently with Pokémon the way regular animals did before being phased out of canon. Especially since it was clear that Gamefreak were not going to explore the implications of making the Ultra Beasts Pokémon to begin:
Bogleech said:
That said, the fact that we can suddenly just up and visit entirely different planets and dimensions, inhabited by entirely different pokemon and humans, seems like it should be a bigger deal than these games are making it. Like, something the series has kind of been building to since the very beginning. The most groundbreaking expansion to the continuity they've possibly ever dropped on us. It opens the possibility of an entire galaxy of Poke-worlds never before hinted at in more than a few miscellaneous dex entries, and lends quite a bit more credit to my theory that all Pokemon were originally "aliens." The fact that Ultra Sun and Moon themselves play out as an alternate timeline to Sun and Moon, or that Sun and Moon in turn are alternate timelines to each other, definitely feels like it ties in deliberately with the concept of the Ultra Wormholes, and it's just a shame that, if we've learned anything from this franchise, it's actually quite possible we'll never, ever hear about any of this again.
I don't want this to happen to the Appmon, they should be allowed to be something that exists concurrently with Digimon rather than existing as Digimon.

That's why I sincerely hope that Copymon is revealed to actually be that Appmon Copipemon.

shynely

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
02: Replace Takeru and Hikari with Wallace as a main character so everyone is fresh. Incorporate Hurricane Touchdown into the main arc. Trim down the pre-BWGreymon Spire arc. Make Oikawa the final antagonist instead of Vamdemon.

I'm not sure how that would work. The new kids weren't the best decision-makers, and needed help from more experienced ones, not just with Takeru and Hikari as active members, but they needed the semi-retired kids to bail them out as well. Wallace seemed downright clueless, despite having lived with Digimon for way longer, so they'd probably stumble to their deaths if he was there instead.

Though Oikawa as actual main villain isn't something I'd see working either His main motivation was from not getting to go to the Digital World, so he would have no reason to know how to do anything threatening if he wasn't being manipulated by somebody else (though not necessarily have to be Vamdemon in particular).

The36thKnight

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Chimera-gui:

I don't want this to happen to the Appmon, they should be allowed to be something that exists concurrently with Digimon rather than existing as Digimon.
But you are not opposed to Appmon appearing in future seasons? Like if the Net Ocean was reworked into a single version containing both digital lifeforms?
Chimera-gui:

That's why I sincerely hope that Copymon is revealed to actually be that Appmon Copipemon.
Appmon that could pass as Digimon seem to be an interesting plot point.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Of all the seasons, I think Frontier is the one with the most potential that was just fumbled hard in the execution, so I'd probably go with that one. And I would NOT touch Applimonsters at all, it's a fantastic season as is and I hope they NEVER fold Appmon into the overall Digimon population. Not that I wouldn't be ecstatic to see them appear alongside Digimon in the future. But thematically, aesthetically, and mechanically, they work best as a related but distinct category of Digital Lifeforms. I don't ever wanna see Appmon and Digimon evolving to and from each other in canon.

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like most series could be cleaned up a bit so I'll just put in a list of stuff I think should be changed fundamental from the ground up from least work to most.

Frontier: I just think it's kind of boring overall. Use all of your characters more, be a bit less repetitive near the end. Have Kouichi's character arc be more than just a mystery.

Tri: Have everyone deal with their problems in a different that doesn't equate to all of them running away from confrontation with each other. (Don't make them literally run away from confrontation with each other.) I think all of their character arcs need to be cleaned up and focused on more and some of them should get new ones like Takeru and Sora. Sora's who boiled down to an forced inverse of her original episode with Piyomon and Takeru who's arc was just wasteful angst that gets spread around to everyone else and to be the mouth piece to forgive Meiko for the group.

Homeostasis was a cop-out antagonist so the kids could do the right thing the second time around and should have just stayed an over watching force that had Huckmon enforce it's will earlier. Dark Genai was a waste of a mystery, just brainwash the 02 kids instead. This last bit is also for Kizuna, if one of your major over arcing theme is "growing up" show us "growing up" in more positive and negative ways instead of just needlessly wax on about it without anything to show for it. I guess I'd like a better distinction between "growing up" and "getting older."

02: I think this whole show is a mess. It biggest problem is that the longer it goes the more agency the characters lose. So let's try to give characters as much as they can.

No Vamdemon possession, in fact he could be cut, a bit too pander-y for my taste. I guess you could just have Oikawa work with Daemon with both planing to backstab the other eventually. No dark spores, that was the final nail in the coffin of Ken's agency as the Kaiser, meaning I can't buy his redemption arc as a whole. Continuing with Kaiser/Ken, they still don't feel like the same character so we can keep the dark ocean's plot points but you could also give it it's own arc and villain instead of just being a plot contrivance. Also use that time to give Takeru and Hikari full arcs.

Don't focus Ken's arc on redemption and but put focus on trying to figure out what type of person he is and wants to be. And seeing how that narrative spot is taken up, either cut BlackWarGreymon completely or hold off on Ken being a member of the group and make those two team up. You can cut the Holy Stones as well, and replace that with the Dark Ocean.

02 has a lot of plot points I don't care for and then it executes them poorly so that's as close as I can get without changing it completely.

shynely

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ken's arc was never really redemption. His dream near the end was to be both punished and forgiven, which means he had gotten neither. In episode 25 or so, Daisuke wants him to join because he noticed Ken isn't really the same person as their enemy, so "Ken and Kaiser are different people" was probably the intent.

Admittedly, this still rolls into major characters lacking agency.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On the Savers, instead of giving us the 2006 versions of Agumon, Kudamon and Falcomon, give us Dorumon, Ryudamon and FanBeemon, which came out in 2003, and never really got the adventures they should've gotten. It would've been great that if Alphamon: Ouryuken will battled Yggdrasil and talk to the other Royal Knights, instead of what really shown in Savers. instead of burst modes. Imagine FanBeemon resting on Sampson's shoulder and have Marcus controlling Dorumon and Keneen and Ryudamon as partners.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On the Savers, instead of giving us the 2006 versions of Agumon, Kudamon and Falcomon, give us Dorumon, Ryudamon and FanBeemon, which came out in 2003, and never really got the adventures they should've gotten. It would've been great that if Alphamon: Ouryuken will battled Yggdrasil and talk to the other Royal Knights, instead of what really shown in Savers. instead of burst modes. Imagine FanBeemon resting on Sampson's shoulder and have Marcus controlling Dorumon and Keneen and Ryudamon as partners.
This TBH. Good points all-around.