I got to see the Art of Video Games exhibit

Zeether

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Today, I headed out to an art museum in Boca Raton to see the Art of Video Games exhibit, which is on a tour across the US. They had it at the Smithsonian for a while and had taken votes on which games to feature in it.

It was REALLY good. They showed off games for the Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, NES, Sega Master System, Genesis, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, right up to the current generation. Each system had 4 games that were voted on for it and some of the picks were very pleasant surprises like Gradius V on the PS2 and Einhander on the PS1 (which are both FANTASTIC games) and Rez on the Dreamcast definitely earned its place because it was meant to be an artform in and of itself.

I wish I could post pictures, but I was told not to take photos and even though I got quite a few of the exhibit I deleted them for safety's sake. You'll have to see the exhibit for yourself if you can make it, the tour is ongoing until about 2016...I'm assuming then it might end, but they should REALLY stick that permanently in the Museum of Modern art because it's fantastic.

MaLazer

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds pretty dang awesome!
Is it an exhibit for artwork IN games, or is it specifically for games that ARE art (like say... Flower, or Journey)
Would have loved to see what they had for the Atari 2600.
I've always wanted to go to some kind of Video Games exhibit, but I don't know, I say that, yet whenever I get the money to be able to go (money to get there, really) I end up spending it on some old Nintendo Console.
Last year I had gotten almost every Nintendo console (except for the Virtual Boy...), and I also got extras from people, usually NESs that were in crappy condition or didn't work. I would open them up, figure out the problem, if I could solve it I would, then give it to a friend (sold only a few).
Last year was also the year I sold them all... Got $700, spent another $200 and was able to build a super badass gaming computer. I call it... EVOLUTION. Back to collecting!