Human world or Real world?

What is the more appropriate word to use to describe the human realm in the Digimon series?

• Human World

• Real World

• Both of them can work

• Nether are any good

Results are only viewable after voting.

Agu-Chan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I believe I've heard both these terms in the anime. Human world can be used to describe the place were humans reside. Real world can be used to describe the place were everything is made out of real substance and not out of data which makes up everything in the Digital world.

Last edited:

Xadhoom

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Atomic/Baryonic World", since the "Digital World" describes its base composition and not its inhabitants. Doesn't roll off the tongue as easily, alas.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Depends on the universe, and whether the Digital World is artificial (created from human computers) or not.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Depends on the universe, and whether the Digital World is artificial (created from human computers) or not.
There's also the issue of the Xros Wars manga stating that Earth is part of the Digital World.

Last edited:

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wait what? the XW manga said earth was part of the digital world- that had to be some crazy mis translation on the behalf of the fan translations i assume.
I mean then again i think it was 02 or tri that stated something about the digital world being impliably linked to the world that TK and co call home. So it COULD of meant something akin to that. two sides of the same coin type deal...the digital and earth are part of each other cause they are the flip side of the same coin.

BUt yeah this is definitely a tricky question simply cause its not black and white with the franchise.

I mean i think the wonder swan games point towards the digital worlds all being artificial and such, being linked to Atanasoff-Berry in 1942 (thus making it only a whopping 57 by time of Adventure and 60 by time of 02, 80 by the current year)

But then we have Kakudou going on to say he views digimon and the digital world as something more spiritual/real (so i guess the physical / material world vs the world of ideas or something.

Tamers seems to lean to the digital world = digital side, as does Savers with the whole digitizing of peole to send them in and such, even Frontier seems to focus on the digital angle of things the whole bit about how Kouichi wasn't able to truly be harmed cause only his mind was there not any physical body to convert so no physical body to damage and such.

GG its hard to say which way it'll lean when we finally get some digital world stuff,

Xros wars seemed to lean towards the Adventure side of things with it being a real physical place much like our world just a little bit different.

Human world would be the most simple to the point term since it'd apply no matter what, while real world implies that the digital world isn't real which seems to only really work in select cases it seems.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wait what? the XW manga said earth was part of the digital world- that had to be some crazy mis translation on the behalf of the fan translations i assume.

There's no reason to think it was mistranslated. It stated that the human world was equivalent to one of the Zones. It's like in the anime when Wisemon says the Digital World is probably older than the human world.

Hydranoid413

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don’t really like calling it the Real World cause it implies that Digimon aren’t seen as “real lifeforms” in-universe

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't think it's fair to say the DW isn't real.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Both of them work. Both are good. We can even add other term like Analog World.
But if you ask me which one I prefer between Real World and Human World: it's Real World.
Riaru Warudo and Dejitaru Warudo. Riaru and Dejitaru. They rhyme.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like to go with Physical World, as it rhymes with Digital World both ways. Though Atomic world sounds nice too.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Both of them work. Both are good. We can even add other term like Analog World.
But if you ask me which one I prefer between Real World and Human World: it's Real World.
Riaru Warudo and Dejitaru Warudo. Riaru and Dejitaru. They rhyme.
I feel like Analog World works best thematically given Analog vs Digital.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Either are fine, but Analogue becoming more common would be nice.

Midboss

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm definitely in the "depends on the setting" camp, but without prompting I'd default to real world, perhaps because that does align with how we talk about things that are online vs material. Obviously Digimon being "real" does alter the equation a bit, but I think that using "real world" furthers the impression of them being digital monsters.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are Digimon maybe more inclined to call it the Human World, while we'd call it the Real World? Never noticed if this was a thing in the various series.

MangaB

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think both terms are misleading, to be honest. To me at least, the term 'Real' World implies that the Digital World is somehow fake, and the term 'Human' World puts too much focus on Humanity itself when really humans are only a small part of it. I think 'Physical World' or 'World of Matter' make far more sense, but maybe I'm just being pedantic :/

Call Me Deacon Blues

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I lean towards Real World, and from my memory that's the main thing it's called in various media, though sometimes they say Human World too, so both are acceptable. I get the thought about calling it Real might feed into people like Rika not seeing Digimon as actual beings, but I dunno, I just think it's got a good sound to it. That being said, I do love the term Analog World, but has that ever actually been used in any media? Digimon World came close, with Analogman, but I don't recall if they ever actually use it to refer to the world, just humans I think? Doesn't help that I've only played/seen the English translation of it which wasn't great, but nobody's told me that was a mistranslation so I'm assuming it's what the original dialogue stated unless told otherwise