How would you rewrite Digimon Frontier?

digihunter

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Would you wish you'd rewritten Digimon Frontier?

DerMond

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, Airdramon pretty much said the main problem with that series in my opinion.
Emperorgreymon and Magnumgarurumon were cool and seeing more of them was awesome, the second half of the season could've been cut out.
Also, everyone else was useless after the main two but Magnum was pretty much almost right there with them after he ran out of ammo. All he had was a sword. A very tiny sword. I would've made him faster or something and maybe a hand to hand kind of guy.

digihunter

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How about for the four remaining spirits: Wood, Steel, Earth & Water, they'd be given to four new digidestined to join the remaining six in order to have a complete set?

Or better yet.... REWRITE EVERYTHING!

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
*Idem as Airdramon.
*Another girl apart from Zoe to form a more balanced team.
*That the Spirits had communicated more times with the protagonists, as it happened in the final episode.
*That they had spent more episodes to explain all the mythology previous to the events of Frontier (how was Huanglongmon sealed by Lucemon, the origin of the Ten Ancient Warriors and the Three Great Angels, who Baromon exactly is, etc.).
*That the four guys that appeared in episode 40 had used the Spirits of Water, Earth, Wood and Steel. That would have brought new possibilities and more dynamic fights.
*Duskmon and Velgemon as the Warriors of Darkness against Loweemon and KaiserLeomon.
*Another servant of Lucemon apart from the Royal Knights such as Deathmon or another Demon Lord.
*Evolutions for Bokomon and Neemon.
*I would have liked to see more of the life of the Chosen Children in the Real World, as well as their respective backgrounds.

Last edited:

Elentir

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To modify the pacing and re-emphasize the characters, here's what I'd do chronologically:

-Shorten the Sephirotmon arc, so Kouichi can join sooner
-Cherubimon steals the 8 evil spirits and revives them as A-Hybrids. The other four team members obtain their A-Hybrids while fighting them.
-Cherubimon is defeated by the six A-Hybrids, with Beowulfmon and Reichmon dealing the final blow. The Digitama of Lopmon grants Takuya and Koji their new D-Scanners in preparation for the coming fights.
-The Z-hybrids only require the evil spirits: Fire + Wind + Earth and Light + Metal + Water, so the other four remain relevant.
-The Royal Knights work mostly through minions, sparing us the daily trouncing in the last arc.
-More character focus in the Royal Knights arc, emphasizing the development of the team (think how the Dark Masters arc was in Adventure)

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This smells like a familiar question. I'd modify a few things, but I'm fairly satisfied with the overall story. The main negative is that the show focused too unilaterally on the Goggle Boy/Lone Wolf duo in the latter third (beginning ep. 35).

• The "other humans" who were under Angemon actually were the other evil Legendary Warriors. After being freed from Cherubimon (and possibly suffering from amnesia), they are given their own D-Tectors (D-Scanners). This could work well very near finding out about Kouichi being Duskmon.

• Everyone unlocks their Fusion Hybrid form, and we finally get to see the four which never received art. I'd have to have Tommy (Tomoki) become freaked out at becoming a penguin snowcone maker.

• Due to gaining more allies, EmperorGreymon and MagnaGarurumon premier later on and don't leave the other humans useless for so long. Heck, I wouldn't mind it if they didn't appear until Lucemon was revived. It seems fairly universally agreed upon that shafting the other humans for so long really was a bad idea.

• Why do we only get Seraphimon's Digi-Egg to remain upon defeat, but no one else's? I mean, I get that certain 'mons got their Fractal Code scanned or "eaten" but… really? Everything else goes all flying off into space.

• The RK arc did drag on a bit, so I'd definitely alter the pacing. At least Wikipedia lists "Act 2" (Rose Morning Star) as lasting only 5 episodes. Unlocking the other A-Hybrids definitely would help with this issue and could be spread through a few of the arcs (i.e. Cherubimon and RK).

• In the final blow against Lucemon Larva Mode, the Ancient Digimon appear themselves so that we freaking get to see more than their silhouettes animated.

Monox D. I-Fly

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would rewrite so that Fire and Water have a sort of rivalry, kinda disappointed with that.

Xadhoom

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Redo literally the entire plot, with the main six and the other four kids getting their own Spirit pairs right off the bat (Water for Chiaki, Earth for Teppei, Steel for Katsuharu, Wood for Teruo). Rather than Ophanimon, Lilithmon summoned them individually so they could cause enough damage to free Lucemon and serve as his minions in the conquest of the Digital World's entire universe.

After that, about 20-25 episodes of them scrounging up their own armies and a series of small-scale conflicts would go by before Lucemon is freed, and the Celestials get involved. Another two-three episodes of Seraphimon actually being the badass he's made out to be, and Ophanimon/Cherubimon pitching in. They take down the Legendary Warriors, save the Digital World from Lucemon, slay the Jabberwocky and goes on to save Narnia.

The last fifteen episodes would center around the lives and times of the Celestials and the Digital World, an angle which gets the entire franchise cancelled because in a show about mons, no-one cares enough about the non-humans to watch them.

AliceKaninchenbau

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
TBH I wouldn't rewrite Frontier. It's only real issue is how it's just mediocre, it's not amazing but it's certainly not bad either, so if anything, I'd make a sequel to Frontier. I feel like there's more potential in a sequel than a remake, especially when most of Frontier's issues could be solved with a sequel while giving us a new story- like most of these issues don't have to be solved in Frontier's story.

But since you're asking, if I did want to change a thing or two in Frontier, sure I have a few ideas. Everyone would've prefered to see the Chosen get treated equally and I'm on the same boat when it comes to this, but when it comes to the Four Nerds, honestly? I would've loved to see Mercuremon and co get revived as themselves. Takuya and co did purify them from Cherubimon's influence, they're not really evil or anything (Bandai can fight me) so, yeah, I would've loved to see the Warrior Ten fight together but without any four additional Chosen added to the mix. I also would've loved to see Neemon get given a bit more of a role in Frontier aside from the slapstick, there's certainly potential for that. Also would've loved to see Takuya be stuck as a Flamon for a longer period of time, like I wanted to see him have to actually go through stuff to regain his humanity and.... Agnimonity, like it seemed to be a little bit too easy if you ask me.

But above all, the one thing that pissed me off in Frontier was how Kouichi existed. Now, when I was first watching Frontier obviously I had no idea where the story was going, so when we got to see Flamon notice the Kouji doubleganger on the train, my first instinct was to assume that it was Kouji. Takuya travelled back in time and tried to stop himself from going to the Digital World, so why couldn't Kouji do the same? Hell, what if Duskmon was that Kouji from the future who was trying to stop himself from going to the Digital World but got corrupted by Cherubimon and things went really bad? Of course, I'm not sure exactly how this would work, it's just an idea that appeared in my brain while watching Frontier, and yeah I am a little bit bitter that instead of this Toei gave Kouji a brother instead, so, yeah, a Frontier remake could maybe do this instead? We just don't know

Trilby1992

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't remember the specific details since I tend to have a poor memory with these things but here are my thoughts.

- Cut out Neemon.
- Make Bokumon a bit more useful. (He's a little too safe and book-ish at times and I wish he could cunningly help out a few times E.g. Save the children from being tied up, distract the enemy etc)
- Perhaps add more enemies than the Royal Knights in the second half of the series.
- Takuya x Zoe :p

Last edited:

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the Frontier characters. They have good chemistry and are fun to watch when the show isn't slavishly devoted to being a kids' action series. The burger cooking episde, the Trailmon race, cleaning Angler the old Trailmon, and the beach episode with the Toucanmon are all great because it's just the kids doing stuff and interacting. It's funny that Adventure tri. is going in the direction it's going, because out of all the series' casts, I think Frontier lends itself best to a slice-of-life format. If we want to be extremely bold, Frontier could have been a straightforward comedy.

Frontier's biggest fault is its aping of Adventure. It's not even an example of the show imitating the earlier one's atmosphere(which it really doesn't anyway; Frontier did a lot more comedy); it fucking lifts literal plot points and progression. They actually re-did Adventure's Episode 21, but without Mamoru Hosoda. This was a sin, so without getting too specific, I would have liked for the show to have its own identity.

I think the Royal Knights got a bum rap. I know I just complained about Frontier stealing ideas from Adventure, but maybe expanding on LordKnightmon's wavering faith in Lucemon to the point that they literally betray him, and then we have three factions all fighting against each other a la Zero Two. That brings up another aspect that I'm not sure if I really like or not: the Frontier Chosen were losers to the very end. Fairymon couldn't defeat her first enemy and Wolfmon had to step in; Grotmon and the Knights spent a string of episodes butt-decimating them; they literally let the Digital World get destroyed and have to run to the moon; and finally, once they actually manage to beat the Royal Knights, Lucemon swoops in and steals the victory plus DigiCodes. At best, you could argue this made the Chosen scrappy underdogs, and at worst they were grossly incompetent. Maybe it was fitting, since Ofanimon just sent out a mass SOS and, y'know, got lucky. Perhaps sloppiness and ineptitude was just Frontier's theme...

And that leads me to the first episode of Frontier. I really don't like it. Takuya has no actual motivation for listening to that phone call; none of the dozens of kids do. It's so incredibly dumb. And the fervor and willingness to accept the Spirit of Flame was really cliché. I appreciate the initial blowback Junpei gives being enlisted to save a world, and Kouji's desire to fight alone at first, but I think it should have gone farther than that. The Adventure kids didn't have this problem because they didn't know they were chosen at first. They were just trying to find a way home and kept running into trouble, and eventually Devimon, and were basically reacting to every scenario without being too proactive. The Frontier kids were way too accepting of their "destiny" AKA Ofanimon's spaghetti-at-the-wall. (This also ties into their character designs. Did they really need to be dressed like their Spirits, minus Kouichi? It adds a whole Super Sentai/Power Ranger element to it, but maybe that was intentional...)

There was a lot of good there that just needed to be reshaped or shined up. I'm completely open to a comedy/slice-of-life sequel special/movie/drama CD where they go back to the Digital World and visit or something. Even the harshest Frontier critics will admit that its version of the Digital World is whimsical, unique, and fun.

Oh, uh, the movie. The Frontier movie was an overly complex episode of Scooby-Doo, but maybe incorporating that story into the show and completely forgoing a movie that year would have been better than just "Adventure's Greatest Hits!". But then you'd lose the awesome animation that goes into a film production, and Movie 7 is one of the best in that regard.

Last edited:

Monox D. I-Fly

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also would've loved to see Takuya be stuck as a Flamon for a longer period of time, like I wanted to see him have to actually go through stuff to regain his humanity and.... Agnimonity, like it seemed to be a little bit too easy if you ask me.
Ah, that reminds me, I want to put Strabimon in if I were to rewrite Frontier's story.

digitalx

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like B-Mon said, I've always thought Frontier was an attempt to recapture the atmosphere of Adventure and the evolution style of 02 (the digimental/ spirit and jogress similarities) and put its own twist on those two things while incorporating its own new things here and there. I'd argue it technically succeeded but lacked a defining arc to bring it all home compared to previous seasons. Adventure had Vamdemon, 02 had the Kaiser, and Tamers was all around good, but Frontier just felt kind of hollow. Its a shame too because I felt like the mythology of the legendary warriors and the war and all of that was pretty interesting but it never delved much deeper.

Theres a lot it could have done, but here are a few bullet points

- The first episode. Like B-mon said the motivation for the kids going to the digital world is pretty flimsy.

- Fixing the evolution line/ having the legendary warriors be present. I said in another thread itd be cool if the legendary warriors were a level the kids could access and fight as

- EQUAL POWER DISTRIBUTION. Goodness this cant be stated enough. Takuya and Koji being the only ones to reach certain levels on more than one occasion was annoying

- New cast of villains. I didnt mind Lucemon as the final big bad. Speaking of the Adventure similarities, I think he felt like a better done Apocylamon. Everything before however felt so long and drawn out with Cherubimon and co as well as the Royal Knights. I dont know who they should be replaced by but a band of four similar to the dark masters only more developed than 13 episodes would have been fine.

- A more well rounded developed main cast. I felt like this cast was more comedic than interesting as characters. The Koji/Kouichi plot was really good and def could have been pushed more, but is definitely the highlight of Frontier. The second most interesting character driven moment was when Takuya quit and went home and became a beast hybrid.

Those are my things, but speaking of that Takuya episode, what was up with that? Looking online only Koji has a similar form while the rest of the cast doesn't. That would have been great to explain exactly what that form was.

Last edited:

Togemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A lot of good points in this thread, so I won't go over the obvious ones.

One additional thing I would include though, would be some more back story to Bokomon & Neemon. Like.. why are they best friends.. what made Bokomon interested in the Digital World, what were their lives like before the humans came? How did they meet? Did they have any enemies/rivals? I think that could have made them more likable to fans.

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's been many years since I saw frontier, so I wonder, why the royal knights worked for Lucemon? Maybe the show explained why, but I can't remember the reason that the strongest digimon in the world worked for a guy who was sealed and did them no good to release him

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's been many years since I saw frontier, so I wonder, why the royal knights worked for Lucemon? Maybe the show explained why, but I can't remember the reason that the strongest digimon in the world worked for a guy who was sealed and did them no good to release him
So they could have the human world to rule.

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ahh.... then that's one extra thing to change. They don't even control the digital world, so it is kinda weird they want to skip that step and go for the human world. Probably other people could imagine other reasons why would they follow Lucemon or give them a completely different role.

brightdown

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A way to fix Digimon Frontier? Well besides what everyone has been saying to forgo the favoritism and make the kids more equal in their screen time and their participation. B-mon's assessment that it's main problem is that it tries to be too much like Adventure is pretty apt, and I'd take it it a step farther and say that Frontier's problem is that it's too much like Adventure and not at all like Super Sentai. I think that Frontier should have embraced the fact that they were essentially an animated Super Sentai, with little kids trapped in another world. They should have gone back to their roots with Digimon and take their ideas from their. In other words it should have been more like Digimon mixed with Super Sentai and not Digimon Adventure with a flavoring of Super Sentai.

Before anything else I think that what Frontier needed was a singular villain or at least an end goal. The goal could have been to stop Lucemon's revival but they fail to do that and the last arc could be them fighting Lucemon's forces winning their battles until facing Lucemon. I think that Cherubimon should be replaced with another villain if only because his character overlaps with Lucemon. Would have been nice if the main villains went like this
Corrupted warriors
Villain trying to revive Lucemon
Lucemon's hencemen
Lucemon.

Secondly I think that all the of the kids should have eventually have become the ancient warriors themselves, again no favoritism no one gets any special evolution, Just human, beast, ancient, and then Susanoomon if need be. It would be cool if the final battle took place in the real world. They thought they defeated Lucemon, but lo and behold he just bided his time and then evolved. That's what i would change in the general story.

For the characters themselves I would have each of them have their own character arc, that actually takes more than one episode to resolve, but keeping Kouichi's story mostly the same but have the others find out about his status much earlier.

Guess that's what I can think of so far.