How would you have changed the tri movies

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Entirely new cast of characters. Adventure and 02 got their chances to shine. Let the new Children take over.
Maybe as the main cast, but I would personally include some members of the 01 and 02 cast to exist in the plot so that they could essentially pass the torch onto the new cast. Plus, not including them at all would just confuse viewers honestly.

Unless they would have focused on Maki's group, though, does that deserve a six part film?

Holo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personally, I've got a fair number of opinions on tri (keeping in mind I grew up with the adventure 01 dub so it's the most solid thing I've got to draw my opinions from) so here they are in no particular order.

1: the little things that changed the watching experience rather than the plot. Such as art style, pronunciations, etc. Not a huge deal because I get these kinds of things happen as times change and what not but it's still something.

2: the new cast of characters. Honestly so many new characters just felt shoe horned in to me. I think my biggest issue was with meiko herself since she felt a bit awkward to the group dynamic and her and her partner were very clearly plot devices from the start. There felt to be way to much convenient about the new characters...

3: characters didn't really act in a way that felt normal to them. Tai and Matt basically exchanged their full throttle and proceed with caution personalities. All the digimon seem to have lost a lot of their personality and we're little more than stomachs with feet for plot reasons. Leo died and nobody batted an eye. I mean come on guys, I get that he dies all the time and we're all pretty much numb to it by now but you could at least try and pretend like you're sad.

4: rapey gennai... I don't think I even need to get into this one... but I will. Why? Why? Why? Why did he need to be so rapey? Why did he summon versions of the dark masters (who had no personality or will of there own?) to attack and also how? And why did he even bother with the Ken disguise? Nothing came of that.

5: since good ol' Ken came up, why did we need that whole since of the 02 crew? Nothing came from that either that I'm aware of.

6: this one's very subjective but am I the only one disappointed by the sovereigns evolutions? Would've been a great time to bust out some new never before seen mons.

7: spends way too long on the whole digital world being reset plot only to have it get reset anyway. But then, everything gets solved by the power of friendship because somehow if you try hard enough (tri hard enough? Sorry, couldn't help myself. Can't blame me for tri-ing... I'll let myself out...) you can make a digimon remember you even though they technically wouldn't have any memories of you to recall.

8: this would've probably went down better as a series or if they'd used more characters they had established in the original series like bringing back a villain or something.

9: I don't have a 9th point, I just really didn't like rapey gennai so I figured he's worth mentioning again.

On a positive note, we got ordinemon. The thing is an absolutely ominous looking monstrosity and I kinda like it.

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
8: this would've probably went down better as a series or if they'd used more characters they had established in the original series like bringing back a villain or something.

I'm trying to justify it as a series, but I can't.

It's the same story all over again. As much as I like Digimon, the themes would need to be more mature with higher stakes IF they were truly going to proceed with aging them. But with the exception of Joe, the characters were very much, static in their development.

Kari and TK were pretty boring, but Kari in particular.

I get that in the Digital World they were all an obligate team, but it seems so odd to have them stroll around in packs of 7-8 all the time. Not just because Joe is my favorite character, but he seems to be one of the few characters who had the benefit of being away from the core group. He grappled with other things outside of being a digidestined, He was more properly fleshed out. But having most of them attend the same school didn't make it realistic. Sora would have benefited from being in a school away from the core group for some much-needed character development. It just seems that all their development hinged on them being together all the time.

Holo

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I'm trying to justify it as a series, but I can't.

It's the same story all over again. As much as I like Digimon, the themes would need to be more mature with higher stakes IF they were truly going to proceed with aging them. But with the exception of Joe, the characters were very much, static in their development.

Kari and TK were pretty boring, but Kari in particular.

I get that in the Digital World they were all an obligate team, but it seems so odd to have them stroll around in packs of 7-8 all the time. Not just because Joe is my favorite character, but he seems to be one of the few characters who had the benefit of being away from the core group. He grappled with other things outside of being a digidestined, He was more properly fleshed out. But having most of them attend the same school didn't make it realistic. Sora would have benefited from being in a school away from the core group for some much-needed character development. It just seems that all their development hinged on them being together all the time.
I was happy to see Joe get some more development too actually. And you're definitely right. It's weird that they're just together all the time. Especially since they hadn't all lived in the same neighborhood since before they were even a team. That was one of the things I liked about the series as a kid, is that they were a team but they got split up a lot and you got to see them figure things out for themselves or develop smaller bonds within the actual group. Maybe with a different plot they could've put more into who they each were as individuals? I kinda would've liked to see sora get a bit more development. She sorta got ripped off in the first movie having just a few minutes of screen time (still more than mimi though I guess), and in last evolution we barely seen her at all again. In tri, her biggest moment was her partner overcoming what was essentially digimon amnesia :s

TheMatrix

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure if I mentioned it before but the way the other kids get their Mega Digimons came of as quite lazy. In the other adventure series Mega Evolutions were always shown as a sort of miracle that only happened under very specific circumstances being shoot with light arrows, having your familiar bats gain enough energy to resurrect you like a Kaiju sized monster, being stuck in a Dark Network on fire or being effected by the rays of the Digivices. In Tri the Mega evolution just happen the same way the Ultimate evolutions take place which I found quite lame.

Not that I want to attack Tri to much since it is the one who got me back into Digimon and did a far better job then reboots of other childhood franshices I grew up with.