How would you have changed the tri movies

arisniko1

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First off, I get the symbolism of having a not-showing-my-real-face villain to the adulthood struggles and that those struggles might show different faces instead of the real one as Yggdrassil used avatars (Gennai, Keiser). I appreciate that. So, I wont say that Id change the villain.
What Id change is:
a) as many said already, the pacing... (Im looking at you ghost-stories-when-everything-around-us-is-going-nuts!)
b) Meiko's valid but constant whining. It was the same dillemas and whining in 3, 4, 5 and 6... Jeez! Make up your mind! Other than that no beef with her or Meicoomon. I even liked they used Apocalymon...
c) And it is important for an OCD guy like me... EXPOSITION!!! Yes, we try to understand that the Ultimate shinka prophecy is about the Chosen further proving now they're YA that they still possess their crests' quality but a bit explain-o? Yes, its important to me to know why they wont use warp shinka and now use ultimate shinka... even worse that both WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon use it when we know they Warped shinka back in 01... Also, would it kill them to tell us how they could manage going past Adult level, after 02 epi. 50??? (we know they could because of Diablomon Strikes Back where surprise! they used warp shinka! BUT HOW?)
d) I get not wanting to use the 02 kids but at least tell us what exactly happened to them and real Gennai rather than just assuming.
e) WHAT THE HECK IS THE DARK OCEAN EXACTLY?!?!? TELL US!!! LOL
f) Id like a better payoff for Himekawa... at least she/we should find out why her Digimon was sacrificed?!

So my main changes would be about exposition. So d, e and f could be part of c... I dont want to use headcannon... if it was a US show at least they might have a Q&A afterwards with writers/producers... in Tri... the struggle is eternal!

PalmontheGreat

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I personally enjoyed tri. immensely, it might even be my favourite thing for the whole of Digimon.
There were many wonderful scenes that I wouldn't do anything to change, but there were still a few places that I believe could have been better:
  • Make the Seraphimon appearance bigger and more important. (He really just appeared for no reason in a fight, they already had Hououmon and Herakle Kabuterimon.)
  • Make Rosemon and Vikemon's first appearances more meaningful.
  • Don't include them going into the Digital World in 'Confession', it would have fit perfectly with 'Loss'. Putting it in 'Confession' was just a waste.
  • Get rid of the Mimi and Koshiro crush aspect, I just plain hate it.
  • Give Raguelmon more scenes and a bit more of a story.
  • Take out Dark Gennai licking Sora's face. (It's just really weird)
  • Show the fate of Himekawa clearly.
  • Give Mimi and Palmon more depth and screen time. (I know Mimi was the main character along with Joe in 'Determination', but other than that, she didn't get much in the other films. Palmon was just way too underused, even though 'Determination' was supposed to be her movie, she was just shown fighting and getting injured. Even Gomamon had a bigger part than her in that movie!)
Those are the few things I would like to change about Digimon Adventure tri.

Naal

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My reaction to tri. was "Wow, I'm so excited!" (pre-release) to "Okay" to "That's...not good". This movie has many problems, some are already said and some might be subjective. Admittedly I've only watched this when it first came out and I've forgotten a lot of details, but what I remember is:
  • the involvement of 02 kids, or a lack thereof. I mean, they are not my favourite bunches and I've never really liked 02, but to just write them off the script with a vague reason is frustrating. Even Takeru and Hikari, who are members of them, didn't realise their disappearance until some times later. I don't need them constantly worrying about Daisuke and co., I just need a good continuity.
  • the pacing is...weird, to say it politely. Maybe they'd do better if it was a TV series, but who knows.
  • the characters are a bit bland for me, especially Meiko. Not that I hate her, she's just not too exciting to watch.
  • the animation quality. Since it's a movie, I'd expect it to be better than a TV show. But instead I got an average-to-low quality for even a TV show kind of animation.
I'm sure there's more than that, but I don't think I want to watch tri. again. At least not in the near future.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Technically they weren’t movies. More like glorified OVAs, hence the animation quality.

Solomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would've had Kari actually become evil, if even for a bit.

Youkomon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would give Holydramon more screentime..Oh and give a better view of Wallace, Terriermon and Lopmon in Last Evolution. This is the second official time they ever showed his Lopmon. The first was a still image of them at the end of the credits on Hurricane Touchdown. While we see it hopping around with Terriermon it isn't much to look at as they are so far away.

Vampfox

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For the most part I love Tri, but if I had to change something I would remove the whole "Reboot" plot. It just rises too many questions. If Homeostasis could always do a reboot then why did she need the DigiDestined in the first place?

Also the whole Dark Gennai, disguised as Ken side-plot felt pointless so I would have gotten rid of that, and the whole Dark Gennai plot.

Meicoomon having Apocalymon's data inside of her is an interesting idea, but only Daigo finds out about that, and he never shares that fact with the other DigiDestines. I would have had Izzy find a way to remove the Apocalymon data from Meicoomon so that she would be a normal Digimon.

I would have removed King Drasil, and I would have made Daemon the main villain instead.

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Determination:
02 kids are mentioned on the Hot Springs trip - someone tells Meiko that there are other Chosen Children but they're unavailable due to reasons, which are specific to each of them. Like Daisuke's at a football thing, Ken's abroad studying, etc. Something to make it clear they're not expected to be around.
When fighting Imperialdramon in Determination, have someone exposit that it can't be their friend as Jogress has been impossible since the end of 2002 with the return of Tailmon's Holy Ring and they returned Quinlongmon's power in order to help stabilise the Digital World.

Our Future:
With Plotmon's appearance in Loss, Tailmon turning up in Ordinemon's mind is a hint about Meicoomon having everyone's memories.
Devimon evolves into NeoDevimon when he arrives, to explain why he and HolyAngemon have an even fight. And more of their fight is shown.
Garudamon, Lilimon and Zudomon are used against Ordinemon instead of Birdramon, Togemon and Ikkakumon. WereGarurumon got to turn up, why can't they.

Tailmon's flashbacks also feature the Hikarigoaka incident - showing that the Greymon then was split into Taichi and Hikari's partners.
No Merciful Mode, instead every partner Digimon individually gets to attack - and the final blow is all of them together.

I'm late to the party, but thank you for reminding me of this!

It's been so long since I've seen 02 that I had forgotten that Jogress Evolution was made obsolete once Gatomon's tail ring was returning, and Azulongmon's power restored.

I know people will argue till they're blue in the face that they technically did not need to Jogress to achieve those forms, but could do so naturally. However, given the lore of the anime , exclusively, I am curious as to what the implications would be for the 02 partner digimon should they have been featured. Of course, they could have had them achieve those lines naturally, but it would have also been an opportunity to feature exclusive lines for them as well.

As to Omnimon Merciful Mode, I think I would have had less of a problem with this if it hadn't already been featured in Frontier with Susanomon and in 02 with Imperialdramon Paladin Mode. I like your approach where they would have attacked as a team vs. being one composite being. I harp on a lot regarding chosen children and crests, but it's always been a bit of a bummer for me that Ken isn't treated as a "9th Child" of the original cast. Sure he shows up in 02, but they granted him a Crest. As far as we know, those aren't given to everyone that owns a digimon. So why feature it if it never plays a direct role in his development as a character? Maiko might as well be given the Crest of Justice, though that may have been a translation error given that she was called "Libra".

As to my own personal additions, I would have scrapped Rosemon as Palmon's Mega. Not that she doesn't logically work with the whole floral motif of the line, but I find the design uninspired. She was already used in different media as a Mega for another digidestined. True, not within the Adventure continuity, but they could have invested more time and given her someone like Raflessiamon. Rosemon having a Crest of Light around her neck always seemed an odd design choice within the continuity of Adventure, given that she doesn't stem forth from Plotmon. WarGreymon has the Crest of Courage, and Seraphimon the Crest of Hope. It just seems an odd design choice. And lastly, I would have figured out a more fitting Mega form for Biyomon. Phoenixmon is cool and all, but it seems so plain when compared to the rest of the Mega forms. Maybe Phoenixmon X would have been a better design choice? It seems incomplete. Magnadramon suffers from this as well. Goldramon looks like a Mega form, but Magnadramon is lacking a certain "something" as well.

Last edited:

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll probably have to rewatch Tri now, but why did they have such a problem taking Meicoomon out, when they basically did that to rabid Imperialdramon?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They didn’t seem to think that it was the Imperialdramon they knew. And apparently it wasn’t.

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They didn’t seem to think that it was the Imperialdramon they knew. And apparently it wasn’t.

What made them think that?

Just curious, as I don't remember any exchange regarding that.

They saw Ken as the Digimon Emperor and Imperialdramon in tandem. Why not just assume he went bad again and dragged Imperialdramon with him?

After all, Davis and Co. were missing, so, would have been a logical conclusion.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No one made any comment on it one way or the other. Tri was weird about stuff like that, not specifying whether the MetalSeadramon and Mugendramon in “Loss” were revived Dark Masters or not. For whatever it’s worth, the Imperialdramon cards in the Tri set were Virus instead of their usual Attributes, but I suppose the infection could have changed it.

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No one made any comment on it one way or the other. Tri was weird about stuff like that, not specifying whether the MetalSeadramon and Mugendramon in “Loss” were revived Dark Masters or not. For whatever it’s worth, the Imperialdramon cards in the Tri set were Virus instead of their usual Attributes, but I suppose the infection could have changed it.

Right.

That's what I find so amusing when the two scenes are literally played out back to back! X-D

They're all like, "Take down Ken and Imperialdramon! Finish them!"

And then when Meicoomon goes berserk, they're all like, "Oh dear! What ever shall we do?! If we take Meicoomon down, we'll risk destroying a friend in the process! We can't take down one of our own!"

SmugTamer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh boy, where do I even begin?

The Changes:

1. The 02 Cast would NOT have been wiped out, but rather imprisoned in the Digital World. But their Digimon would've been taken from them and Ken actually would've been turned back into the Digimon Kaiser by Yggdrasil (so no evil Gennai). Imperialdramon, Silphymon, and Shakkoumon would've been shadow-cloned by Yggdrasil, while the original 02 Partner Digimon would've been turned into the Neo Dark Masters, Dorbickmon, DarkGryphomon, Mothstrositymon (A Mothra-looking evil Mega for Stingmon), and DeathSpinomon.

2. The 01 Cast would be WORRIED about the 02 Cast and would be CONSTANTLY worrying about what could've happened to them. But other than that Part 1 would be the same.

3. Most of Part 2 is the same up until the fight with the shadow-cloned Imperialdramon and Digimon Kaiser Ken. The 01 Cast would be horrified that Ken has reverted back to his Kaiser persona and try to snap him out of it while begrudgingly having to kill the Digimon that was once their friend(s), not knowing he's not the real deal. Afterwards, Ken retreats back into the Digital World. The rest of Part 2 and all of Part 3 play out as normal. (But with Izumi also trying to find out where the 02 Cast are at.)

4. Most of Part 4 plays out the same, but instead of the 01 Cast fighting Machinedramon and MetalSeadramon, they fight Ken who summons Valkyrimon and Olegmon (who Digivolved from the shadow-cloned Silphymon and Shakkoumon). Meicoomon is enraged by Ken in this scenario.

5. Part 5 plays out the same up until when Alphamon and Raguelmon are encountered, they're not alone, as Ken, Dorbickmon, and Mothstrositymon are present as well. A battle ensues and Dorbickmon and Mothstrositymon are defeated, but at the cost of everyone besides Aplhamon and Raguelmon reverting to their In-Training levels (besides for Jesmon, who becomes Hackmon). Defeating Dorbickmon and Mothstrositymon however, frees Ken from his Kaiser persona and returns Veemon and Wormon back to normal as well. Daisuke is freed off-screen who then proceeds to free Miyako and Iori. The whole Maki Dark Ocean thing happens like normal, but she becomes fused with Dragomon who Dark Digivolves into Sirenmon. The Divermon Dark Digivolve into Neptunemon. Alphamon tries to kill the 01 Cast and Ken, but before he can do so, Wormon jumps in the way to protect Ken and the others, Warp Digivolving into BanchoStingmon, who holds off Aplhamon for a bit, but just as Alphamon is about to gain the upper hand, Yggdrasil calls Alphamon back, because of the HUGE threat that Sirenmon and her Neptunemon army have now become to them. So Alphamon yeets outta there on Yggdrasil's panicked order. BanchoStingmon reverts back into Wormon. The rest of Part 5 happens as normal, however when Ordinemon is being formed, DarkGryphomon and DeathSpinomon jump in while the Dark Jogress is still happening, instead creating Ordinemon Armageddon Mode. Also, instead of just Taichi falling into the fissure, Koromon, Veemon, Wormon, and Ken fall in as well.

6. Part 6 starts off the same, however, the facility where Daigo and Taichi found the 02 Cast in stasis originally, is where Taichi, Daigo, Ken, Koromon, Veemon, and Wormon find Daisuke (who is reunited with Veemon), Miyako, and Iori. They all escape from the facility, as well as the Digital World with no resistance because Yggdrasil and Alphamon are currently dealing with Sirenmon and her Neptunemon army in the Dark Ocean. During this battle, Alphamon is slain and Yggdrasil is annihilated, effectively nuking the Digital World out of existence. The rest of the 01 Cast and their Digimon are spared death by divine intervention from Yggdrasil's remaining data, due to wanting the 01 Cast to save the Digital World, promising that when they save the day, he'll never pull any kind of reboot crap ever again, nor will he mess with the 01, 02 Cast, or Meiko ever again. Part 6 resumes as normal, but the moment Gatomon is freed from Ordinemon Armageddon Mode, Sirenmon and her Neptunemon army show up to take Gatomon's place in the Dark Jogress, effectively causing a new Dark Jogress to form. This Dark Jogress forms Samaelmon who proceeds to wipe the floor with the 01 Cast, even after Omnimon Merciful Mode is formed. However, before Merciful Mode can revert back Daisuke and Ken Warp Jogress Digivolve Veemon and Wormon into Imperialdramon Fighter Mode (through the power of Meiko's Digivice), who then Jogresses with Merciful Mode to form Imperialdramon Great Paladin Mode, who after a bit, manages to rip out DarkGryphomon and DeathSpinomon, reverting them back into Hawkmon and Armadillomon. Meiko's Digivice then immediately Warp Digivolves Hawkmon and Armadillomon into Gryphomon and Spinomon, who then Jogress with Great Paladin Mode to form Imperialdramon Crusader Mode. Samaelmon is thoroughly slain, killing everyone still involved in the Dark Jogress, including Maki, who the 01 Cast is horrified was involved, and the dark realization they basically killed a person dawns on all of them. Daigo, saddened by all of this decides enough is enough and kills himself as he no longer wants to be alive. Both worlds are restored and Yggdrasil, feeling somewhat remorseful for what he's done semi-reboots everything so that Tri effectively never happened, but also kinda did, and Maki and Daigo are revived. The ending is the same, but with the 02 Cast there doing 02 Cast stuff in the background.

TheMatrix

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The Changes:

1. The 02 Cast would NOT have been wiped out, but rather imprisoned in the Digital World. But their Digimon would've been taken from them and Ken actually would've been turned back into the Digimon Kaiser by Yggdrasil (so no evil Gennai). Imperialdramon, Silphymon, and Shakkoumon would've been shadow-cloned by Yggdrasil, while the original 02 Partner Digimon would've been turned into the Neo Dark Masters, Dorbickmon, DarkGryphomon, Mothstrositymon (A Mothra-looking evil Mega for Stingmon), and DeathSpinomon.

2. The 01 Cast would be WORRIED about the 02 Cast and would be CONSTANTLY worrying about what could've happened to them. But other than that Part 1 would be the same.

3. Most of Part 2 is the same up until the fight with the shadow-cloned Imperialdramon and Digimon Kaiser Ken. The 01 Cast would be horrified that Ken has reverted back to his Kaiser persona and try to snap him out of it while begrudgingly having to kill the Digimon that was once their friend(s), not knowing he's not the real deal. Afterwards, Ken retreats back into the Digital World. The rest of Part 2 and all of Part 3 play out as normal. (But with Izumi also trying to find out where the 02 Cast are at.)

4. Most of Part 4 plays out the same, but instead of the 01 Cast fighting Machinedramon and MetalSeadramon, they fight Ken who summons Valkyrimon and Olegmon (who Digivolved from the shadow-cloned Silphymon and Shakkoumon). Meicoomon is enraged by Ken in this scenario.

5. Part 5 plays out the same up until when Alphamon and Raguelmon are encountered, they're not alone, as Ken, Dorbickmon, and Mothstrositymon are present as well. A battle ensues and Dorbickmon and Mothstrositymon are defeated, but at the cost of everyone besides Aplhamon and Raguelmon reverting to their In-Training levels (besides for Jesmon, who becomes Hackmon). Defeating Dorbickmon and Mothstrositymon however, frees Ken from his Kaiser persona and returns Veemon and Wormon back to normal as well. Daisuke is freed off-screen who then proceeds to free Miyako and Iori. The whole Maki Dark Ocean thing happens like normal, but she becomes fused with Dragomon who Dark Digivolves into Sirenmon. The Divermon Dark Digivolve into Neptunemon. Alphamon tries to kill the 01 Cast and Ken, but before he can do so, Wormon jumps in the way to protect Ken and the others, Warp Digivolving into BanchoStingmon, who holds off Aplhamon for a bit, but just as Alphamon is about to gain the upper hand, Yggdrasil calls Alphamon back, because of the HUGE threat that Sirenmon and her Neptunemon army have now become to them. So Alphamon yeets outta there on Yggdrasil's panicked order. BanchoStingmon reverts back into Wormon. The rest of Part 5 happens as normal, however when Ordinemon is being formed, DarkGryphomon and DeathSpinomon jump in while the Dark Jogress is still happening, instead creating Ordinemon Armageddon Mode. Also, instead of just Taichi falling into the fissure, Koromon, Veemon, Wormon, and Ken fall in as well.

6. Part 6 starts off the same, however, the facility where Daigo and Taichi found the 02 Cast in stasis originally, is where Taichi, Daigo, Ken, Koromon, Veemon, and Wormon find Daisuke (who is reunited with Veemon), Miyako, and Iori. They all escape from the facility, as well as the Digital World with no resistance because Yggdrasil and Alphamon are currently dealing with Sirenmon and her Neptunemon army in the Dark Ocean. During this battle, Alphamon is slain and Yggdrasil is annihilated, effectively nuking the Digital World out of existence. The rest of the 01 Cast and their Digimon are spared death by divine intervention from Yggdrasil's remaining data, due to wanting the 01 Cast to save the Digital World, promising that when they save the day, he'll never pull any kind of reboot crap ever again, nor will he mess with the 01, 02 Cast, or Meiko ever again. Part 6 resumes as normal, but the moment Gatomon is freed from Ordinemon Armageddon Mode, Sirenmon and her Neptunemon army show up to take Gatomon's place in the Dark Jogress, effectively causing a new Dark Jogress to form. This Dark Jogress forms Samaelmon who proceeds to wipe the floor with the 01 Cast, even after Omnimon Merciful Mode is formed. However, before Merciful Mode can revert back Daisuke and Ken Warp Jogress Digivolve Veemon and Wormon into Imperialdramon Fighter Mode (through the power of Meiko's Digivice), who then Jogresses with Merciful Mode to form Imperialdramon Great Paladin Mode, who after a bit, manages to rip out DarkGryphomon and DeathSpinomon, reverting them back into Hawkmon and Armadillomon. Meiko's Digivice then immediately Warp Digivolves Hawkmon and Armadillomon into Gryphomon and Spinomon, who then Jogress with Great Paladin Mode to form Imperialdramon Crusader Mode. Samaelmon is thoroughly slain, killing everyone still involved in the Dark Jogress, including Maki, who the 01 Cast is horrified was involved, and the dark realization they basically killed a person dawns on all of them. Daigo, saddened by all of this decides enough is enough and kills himself as he no longer wants to be alive. Both worlds are restored and Yggdrasil, feeling somewhat remorseful for what he's done semi-reboots everything so that Tri effectively never happened, but also kinda did, and Maki and Daigo are revived. The ending is the same, but with the 02 Cast there doing 02 Cast stuff in the background.

Ken becoing the Digi Keiser again is honestly kinda redundant.

SmugTamer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The Changes:

Ken becoing the Digi Keiser again is honestly kinda redundant.
Eh, I guess. But I actually wanted to give the 02 cast more of a role in my version.

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Entirely new cast of characters. Adventure and 02 got their chances to shine. Let the new Children take over.

SmugTamer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Entirely new cast of characters. Adventure and 02 got their chances to shine. Let the new Children take over.
Maybe as the main cast, but I would personally include some members of the 01 and 02 cast to exist in the plot so that they could essentially pass the torch onto the new cast. Plus, not including them at all would just confuse viewers honestly.