How would Digimon co-exist with angels and demons?

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personally, I think it would be pretty obvious. Angels would side with good Digimon, while demons would side with evil ones. Certainly helps that there are certain types of Digimon modeled after them respectively. Since angels and demons have likely existed long before the Digital World came into existence, I can imagine Digimon being fascinated by them and wondering what the real world was like during ancient times. Meanwhile, evil Digimon would likely bargain with demon princes in exchange for immense power. Humans chosen to be saviors of the Digital World and have Digimon partners would also attract the interest of high-ranking demons.

Both races would also be mistaken for Digimon initially.

Because they aren't digital in nature, I imagine angels and demons would have some advantages over Digimon. Like say they aren't bound to the laws of the Digital World and are cognizant of the human world due to eons of personal interactions with it.

What do you guys think?

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is hard to say since a lot of digimons aren't bound to the laws of the digital world either and in human world both group in general can't be naturally dealt with easily. But I do think angels/demons are harder for humans to deal with because since Digimons are made out of data and use programs like D-Reaper which can quickly wipe out digimon. The best example I could think of is the Eaters from Cyber Sleuth games which I personally can imagine them as closest comparisons to angels/demons. But oh well this is just my personal opinion.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[First off, I'm sure sooner or later someone will bring up how in Survive Digimon are demons but clearly the situation established here is about the general canon.]

I can't see any collaborations between Digimon and angels happening.
Notice how most demons are based on earlier gods and spirits and stuff that judeo-christian mythology basically retconned into being evil and deceivers and whatnot because of their non-christian origins.
Sure, some being or concept ended up being integrated but passive integration isn't really an option when we define judeo christian beings as already existing in their "current" state and Digimon very obviously don't fit in with them.
According to plenty of interpretations god's a mighty jealous kind of guy who really doesn't like competition (Even for most approaches that focus on the whole "love and tolerance" angle that tends to be one of the things they're not really tolerant about). And nothing would be more dangerous to him that beings from other dimensions that he doesn't control (seeing as they are form another dimension presumably not created by him) many of which work what can only be described as miracles, and some who have basically god-like powers themselves.
Just like other beings from folklore were combated with revised folklore, physical beings from other realms would be combated physically, most likely under a slogan like "If it's not from god's domain it can't truly be good" (Especially the Digimon looking like angels without actually being angels).
I also disagree about advantages... there are a lot of things possible in the Digital World that are not possible according to the normal laws of physics in the human world, in other words Angels don't needing to care about physics doesn't really mean an advantage over Digimon, if anything that just evens things out.

In any case, if demons also exist I'd say they have a good chance of getting most Digimon on their side, after all they'd be in the same boat (and they would want to bargain for just as much power from Digimon as Digimon would from them).

But I do think angels/demons are harder for humans to deal with because since Digimons are made out of data and use programs like D-Reaper which can quickly wipe out digimon.
Human made programs have always been shown as being mostly useless against Digimon above Adult. Bringing up the D-reaper is mostly misunderstanding the point Tamers was making with it. The original Reaper program it evolved from had nothing at all to do with Digimon and there wasn't really any indication that it was a threat to them when it first escaped past the network (It was only programmed to delete a specific other program after all). The actual D-Reaper that came back after years of being warped by mysterious other-dimensional forces into something that actually was dangerous to Digimon (and everything else) was no longer under human control and completely different from what anyone had programmed.

Last edited:

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This topic reminds me of how, during the Vamdemon arc, Tailmon obviously knew she resembled a cat and thus got around Tokyo by masquerading as one but was still aware that she wasn't actually one.

Kind of funny when you consider the null canon was all about Digimon originating from viruses after the birth of the world wide web, yet judging from 02 Adventure's canon seemed to be more in line with that of Survive where Digimon have existed alongside us since time immemorial in a parallel dimension. So how does that work? A cat deity or spirit of some sort eventually taking form as the Tailmon species???

VampireAngemon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In my headcannon, Digimon are eidetic archetypes in a platonic sense, with the particularity of them beign persons (free willed beings) . They are ideas, eternal and indepedent of any mind, with no need to be actually thought to have existance (unless you go for the agustinian variant where the mind who thought the ideas is the mind of God, or Yggdrasil in this case). The digital and mythological interpretations are just aspects of their eidetic reality.
Although I stated that's my headcanon, iirc some of it is stated or implied in the mumbo-jumbo in Tri prologue and Wisemon explanation in XW.
If this is the case the Digimon would be actual angels and demons, and other things "in between": elementals, god and godlings, spirits, ghosts, apus, avatars, kami, loas, etc.

Zennistrad

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Co-exist" nothing, a lot of Digimon are heavily implied to be literal angels and demons that simply take the form of computer programs when they manifest in the Digital World.

Bagramon is almost explicitly stated to be a corrupted version of the Archangel Gabriel, and the Seven Great Demon Lords are said to exist simultaneously all Digital Worlds in the multiverse, so they're obviously something much greater than "mere" Digimon

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
From my understanding digimon as a species evolved pretty much in accordance to human world (Earth) concepts of everyday and mystical/otherworldly ideas either mimicking them or improving upon them with their own unique world development.

In the anime series so far, digimon as a species only fought something not being a human or digimon in the form of D-Reaper.

The circumstances by which D-R was corrupted or influenced to mutate and become hostile to both digimon and humans may never be answered but would make for a great digimon anime cough Tamers 2 (sequel).

Now the idea you are presenting may well have been already explained by making certain digimon correspond to human perceived supernatural beings. But another thing comes to mind - a digimon series dealing with an actual rival supernatural species (not like those from Cyber Sleuth games) and human involvement in the middle; or even good old alien invasion scenario.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait, you mean like actual theological angels or jRPG monster angels? Because the former would interact with digimon the same way they do with humanity. The latter is basically anything goes, as per the rules of the given jRPG.

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In current canon Digimon ARE angels and demons. The literal ones. From real world religions.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In current canon Digimon ARE angels and demons. The literal ones. From real world religions.
In current canon Digimon look like angels and demons because there's data in human world digital networks describing those concepts.

If CS feels like implying more spiritualism and Survive runs with it (and with everything we know about Survive being potentially in flux because who knows what's going on with that project right now, it'd be reaching to call any information concerning it "canon"), then that is true for those continuity but that doesn't automatically apply for the rest of the canon, just like Digimon World 3 didn't make the digital world and Digimon being an MMO some new absolute canon.
Especially since there is explicit replacing of previous canon material taking place.