How to make a well written female character in Digimon

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personallity: Sabryna, or Sabre ... She is a bit stronger than a lot of her female friend because she works out often. using this to relieve stress in her life. ... She's an average studen in middle school, mostly Bs a few As here and there. Luckily her parents work almost opposite shifts so she sees at least one of them when she's at home. She is often stressed over school, trying to please her parents buy getting better grades, sometimes to the point of even overworking herself, and passing out at her desk when doing homework late into the night, even if it's to no avail, she still wants to try. She even babysits her little brother when her parents are out toghter.
Why is she trying so hard to please her parents?
Why is she trying to please them with good grades?
She's an average student, but why is she putting herself under so much stress that she needs to work out to relieve that stress?
Are 'good grades' something her parents are pushing her to achieve, or is this stress that she's putting herself under?

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like no offense but the whole "hard worker" isn't an interesting character. It just screams LIKE THIS CHARACTER THEY WORK HARD

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
'hard worker' is not a 'character,' it's a character trait. Why that character works hard depends on that character's motivation and personality. 'Hard working' characters can be interesting if they have well-rounded personalities (the same way that average-working or lazy characters can be interesting if they have well-rounded personalities).

Mystipony

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A little bit of both, her parents keep telling her she can do better if she puts her mind to it, yet she tries harder than they know. She actually is trying to keep the passing out thing a secret from them, as she doesn't want to worry them. It's also a suppose to be a plot point later in the story, where she pushes herself too hard and makes herself very ill. But I've yet to write more of that yet. Also, I both love and hate the way I write, wich is basically piecemeal, I take one element and focus on it before I do anything else, even if it's suppose to be like halfway into the story while the begining isn't even finished. I hate that I can't focus on a naritive structure like that, but I get so much more done this way.

Like I said, i've got a lot of work to do, hell, I haven't even started on the 3rd character. or the digimon personalities for that mater.

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The messiah archetype can work its just very tricky. I love Simon from Lord of the Flies even though he has no flaws other than being physically weak and crippling shy.

Even in Adventure Hikari wasn't that bad because she was thrusted at the end of the season anyways only really joining for the Dark Masters arc. Its just in 02 they did nothing with her. They didn't develop her, they didn't deconstruct the Messiah archetype, she was just there to be special and be a bitch to Daisuke by flirting with Takeru to aggravate him.
02 didn't do a lot of things for anyone.

Except Daisuke and Ken. Ken got development while Daisuke got screentime.

And then became a fucking zen master or some bullshit to defeat BelialVamdemon.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Daisuke's God Mode Stu-ness got pretty irritating.

All the other kids want to retreat? Daisuke doesn't and gets a Golden Digimental!

Miyako is ready to give Ken a chance and Takeru is cautiously optimistic? Next episode only Daisuke thinks Ken is good so they can Jogress evolve. Also Adult Digimon can't even touch Okuwamon? Paildramon beats Okuwamon in 5 seconds flat

8 original Perfect Digimon can't even touch Skullsatamon despite standing up against Ultimate Digimon and 2 of them are suppose to specialize in fighting evil Digimon? Give powers to Imperialdramon

Everyone is too scare to fight even the two kids who have seen much worse? Not Daisuke

Every kid has their deepest desire used against him? Daisuke has no worries and uses the power of Hakuna Matata to save the world

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, in general the key is what Cyberdramon said: Write characters, not genders. Same goes for well written male characters, obviously.

A lot of people think that female characters, to be properly written, have to be more male. Therefore a lot of tomboy characters get overrated.
Yes, a lot of well written female characters are tomboys, but there are also well written female characters.

Just look at Mimi.

As for Hikari: She was one of the worst written characters I ever encoutered... Probably because she was never ment to be in Adventure and therefore was kinda forced there and nobody felt obligated to write her as anything else, then the extra, that got pushed into the Adventure last minute. I mean, just look at the lazyness of giving her the crest with the same meaning as her name.

RDNexus

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder how would the series have advanced in general if Hikari hadn't been inserted into the main cast...

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
^ Well now that you put it that way, for the lack of depth with the Hikari character, the search for the 8th child did push the show in a much better direction.

Even the episode setting her up as an additional child when Taichi came home was a big turning point in quality.

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was more a turning point as in: From that moment on the whole show was simply about Taichi. Till that point the shows main problem was, that it was to crowded. After that it was overfocusing a few characters, while the others did not get much attention. Which was good for these characters, bad for the others. For the story itself: While the whole Tokyo Arc was more appealing from the setting... The story did not get really better. I mean. After all the was no real story in Adventure. Just generic "Now beat this bad guy, who has no motivation whatsoever."

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A little bit of both, her parents keep telling her she can do better if she puts her mind to it, yet she tries harder than they know. She actually is trying to keep the passing out thing a secret from them, as she doesn't want to worry them. It's also a suppose to be a plot point later in the story, where she pushes herself too hard and makes herself very ill. But I've yet to write more of that yet. Also, I both love and hate the way I write, wich is basically piecemeal, I take one element and focus on it before I do anything else, even if it's suppose to be like halfway into the story while the begining isn't even finished. I hate that I can't focus on a naritive structure like that, but I get so much more done this way.

Like I said, i've got a lot of work to do, hell, I haven't even started on the 3rd character. or the digimon personalities for that mater.
The way that you're writing is good. Just look at the story that you flesh out for each character, ask Why a character is doing something, and what's causing the character to do it. Then think of how that character's personality traits extends to other areas of that character's life, and how the problems effect other areas of the character's life.

Because you're writing far ahead, you can use that knowledge of your character when you write the beginning of the story, and write a cast of fleshed-out characters from the first page onward.

Don't worry about writing piece-meal, as long as the story meshes nicely together as a whole. Remember, 'story' is different from 'storytelling.' Story is the story that you've written. 'Storytelling' is how you present that story to an audience.

Mystipony

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
thank you for the advice CyberDramon

Also, I feel like I may need to revise my statment that Rika was a well written character, I think I was actually thing of her, renamon, and their relationship as a whole as good. Which, I will stand by, it just seems greater than the sum of its parts.

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
thank you for the advice CyberDramon

Also, I feel like I may need to revise my statment that Rika was a well written character, I think I was actually thing of her, renamon, and their relationship as a whole as good. Which, I will stand by, it just seems greater than the sum of its parts.
You're welcome.

And I agree. Rika's character works, and Renamon's character works, but neither of them would work so well without each other.