How old is to old?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do love that quote. It makes a lot of sense and is true I say.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like Vande said I can beat your age by a decade. The way I feel about it is age is a frame of mind. If you genuinely love or enjoy something then what age you are is irrelevant. As adults, as long as you put priorities first, take responsibility for the choices you make, harm no one in the process and not break any laws, then enjoy it. Of all the things a person can be into, drugs, alcohol or even adult entertainment, all of which can be harmful, if you still enjoy a franchise that was special to you as a child then I think that's just fine.

I really don't care what people think, the older you get that becomes even more true. I love Digimon, always have and I always will. I spent thousands to travel to Japan to see the real-life locations from the original series in Hikarigaoka and Odaiba and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Stop worrying what others might think of you and enjoy it with your fellow fans who are passionate about it rather than those that view you negatively. Life is too short.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
“Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
— Excerpt from "On Three Ways of Writing for Children," an essay published by the Library Association in 1952

What an awesome quote.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know if it reflects more on who I am and where I go but I have noticed that as I edged closer to 30 talking about Digimon with others became....a bit weird?
Sure, between fans it's still totally fine and the discussion can be casual without seeming weird but what about when everyone else you know only watched it casually and perhaps got a reference joke or two on the Internet over the years moved on and are now watching more up to date titles and television shows while you are still remembering the adventures of in many cases a bunch of pre-teens from 20 years ago? This isn't like Ren and Stimpy or episodes of M*A*S*H (you get a cookie of you remember that).
I think I'm from the same school of thought as you. Perhaps online I'll geek out with another fan of the franchise, but recently I met someone through a fan page via Instagram that made me reconsider. Mind you, as I got older, I think my taste in Digimon related merchandise (franchise merchandise in general) has become more refined. I dislike merchandise that's all in your face, but prefer discreet accents that a true fan of the franchise will see, and say "Hey, is that a reference to Digimon?". That's probably why I have a love-hate relationship with some of the at times corny official merchandise put out by Bandai. But I digress.

So, this person is in their 20s and a HUGE fan of the franchise. No harm, I guess. But simultaneously, I found their fanaticism quite different from my own. Which I suppose is a generational difference.
“Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
— Excerpt from "On Three Ways of Writing for Children," an essay published by the Library Association in 1952

What an awesome quote.
CS Lewis?

JungleTrooper

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nope, you're not too old, neither is the rest. We all need our escapes from reality and our hobbies, and this hobby isn't detrimental to anyone. I personally think Digimon is rather mature as a franchsie, as some of its aspects still appeal to older fans. Especially the designs. Other franchises have lost this. I mean, I am a Poké-nerd as well, but the games don't know what to do, and who to appeal. And those games are in my opinion Pokémon's main shtick (all personal, of course).

Digimon's emphasis is less on videogames and more on different kinds of merchandise, a lot of which is still easily lovable for us older fans. Like the new V-bracelet and the Card Game. I'm obviously not playing with toys anymore (I don't have kids, either), but collectibles and the like are still fun. The odd quality-game is fun, as well. I'm a bit indifferent on the Anime, it has its charms, but it's obviously catered towards a younger audience: The kids of the old fans.

I luckily have quite a geek-y group of friends: Lots of them own a Switch, play D&D together, share media-franchise related news and are generally people of the internet. I'm the only Digimon-fan, and that's fine. I sometimes share a new creature with them, or talk about this franchise's status during these geek-y conversations, but that's about it. That's why I like this forum, even though it's a relatively small community.

I've had multiple big pauses, but I always checked Wikimon-news (and Reference Book entries) once in a while to see what's happening. This may my interest suddenly soared: I want to buy a few Dim-Cards and a V-bracelet, and I want to see the Reference Book 'completed' (if that wasn't clear enough in other threads I participate in). I might even write a little shortstory if I got the time. This franchise got me engaged once more.

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know if it reflects more on who I am and where I go but I have noticed that as I edged closer to 30 talking about Digimon with others became....a bit weird?
Sure, between fans it's still totally fine and the discussion can be casual without seeming weird but what about when everyone else you know only watched it casually and perhaps got a reference joke or two on the Internet over the years moved on and are now watching more up to date titles and television shows while you are still remembering the adventures of in many cases a bunch of pre-teens from 20 years ago? This isn't like Ren and Stimpy or episodes of M*A*S*H (you get a cookie of you remember that).
I think I'm from the same school of thought as you. Perhaps online I'll geek out with another fan of the franchise, but recently I met someone through a fan page via Instagram that made me reconsider. Mind you, as I got older, I think my taste in Digimon related merchandise (franchise merchandise in general) has become more refined. I dislike merchandise that's all in your face, but prefer discreet accents that a true fan of the franchise will see, and say "Hey, is that a reference to Digimon?". That's probably why I have a love-hate relationship with some of the at times corny official merchandise put out by Bandai. But I digress.

So, this person is in their 20s and a HUGE fan of the franchise. No harm, I guess. But simultaneously, I found their fanaticism quite different from my own. Which I suppose is a generational difference.

What an awesome quote.
CS Lewis?
Yes. Good catch.

YPestis

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly this thread makes me so happy. My brain is constantly telling me I'm too old to be enjoying the things I like, Digimon being a big one, which really bums me out. It's lovely to see fellow older aged fans unashamedly sharing their love for the franchise.

Ultimamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To quote the Fourth Doctor.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."

JungleTrooper

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adults got more petty issues than most children, anyway. That's coming from a teacher, mind you.

EDIT: Children are obviously not as developed in their prefrontal cortex and other parts of their brains. They don't have same amount of experience usually, either. But adults have a way of making things needlessly complicated for themselves. All because of stupid anxieties.

Last edited:

Flamon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't really say that over time my taste in the merch changed, just got less....outgoing? More discrete?
Like you see a Digivice at a second hand store (and this has happened repeatedly) it goes in the basket without question but that's something that sits on a shelf at home.
Now something that's SUPPOSED to be showcased or even casual apparel, there's my sticking point. A 30something in public with a gut and a MetalGarurumon t-shirt is gonna turn heads for the wrong reasons methinks. On the other hand I had a digital hazard painted on my tire cover for a decade and for the most part you are right that the true fans KNEW that the symbol meant. For everyone else it was a biohazard. (???)

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't really say that over time my taste in the merch changed, just got less....outgoing? More discrete?
Well, you could be like me and be in a comic book store, see something Digimon, and give such a loud "OH, SNAP!" that one of the workers rushed over as a young adult continues nerding out over a fandom that most people in the store are barely passingly familiar with. I probably left with a giant "kid in a candy store" grin after making my purchase. (The worker was probably still recovering from my outburst, haha)

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like you see a Digivice at a second hand store (and this has happened repeatedly) it goes in the basket without question but that's something that sits on a shelf at home.

Discreet is fine, but, personally, I'm not sure that I'd necessarily make the purchase if given the opportunity.

I still have a lot of my old Digimon merchandise. Some of which I've considered selling etc. Would I purchase more stuff at this point? Not really. With the exception of say very discreet pieces, I wouldn't want to deprive newer fans of the franchise of the joys of older merchandise.

Curiously, my Android is customized in such a way that it looks like the smart phone digivices from Kizuna. It's simple, very discreet, and didn't really cost me anything to do. That's the one element I appreciated about Kizuna, or rather both Tri and Kizuna maturing with the fandom.

That said... I think Kizuna should have taken place in the Digital World. It just hit me that at least in the dub of Tri, Izzy is working on making travel to and from Digital World possible.

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can beat Vande and the other senior whippersnappers. About to turn 42 (was in uni when Adventure came out), and I still rock the franchise. As long as it's not hindering you from living your fullest life, embrace the fandomness.