How old is to old?

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am 26 soon to be 27 i have loved digimon all my life which includes all aspects of digimon. Cards,games,series and movies basically everything you can think of. My love for it isn't dying i dont think it ever will. What I'm asking is how old is to old to still love digimon. People ask me what I'm doing and most of the time it involves digimon I'm either playing a game or sorting my collection or on this forum and my friends hear that and they say I'm weird I'm a nerd I'm too old. Am I to old for digimon?

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As long as you love digimon you are never too old my friend:)
Thanks for the kind words. Your right I love it so there's no point in caring what anyone says. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I was never gonna stop being involved with digimon i was just curious as to what other fans think. Thanks again

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah you're never too old. And even if you feel you are, they aimed ReDigitze, Cyber Sleuth, Hacker's Memory, Next Order, Survive, and the Tri anime at adults - so the franchise has grown up with us.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To quote a Transformers toy reviewer on YouTube (whose name I can't remember off the top of my head);

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm 28 and will be 29 this fall. I have a friend who's 30 and will be 31 this fall. Both of us are huge digimon fans. You're never too old. There are people in their 80-90's that grew up with Superman, Batman, and Mickey Mouse and still love and collect merchandise from those franchises. And I know a ton of older people in their 50+ that loves Snoopy and the Peanuts gang and still collect stuff from that. I know married men (and women, etc.) in their 30's and 40's that play Warhammer. I know married women (and men, etc.) in their 30's and 40's that collect Hello Kitty merchandise. You're never too old to like Digimon. Digimon will probably still be with us the moment we die.

Nemomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I run a forum about board and card games, and you barely (if at all) you will find someone younger than 30 years old on it. My youngest Moderator is 32 yo, and oldest 42 yo. All of them married with children. And the forum itself is 17 years old now. Not to mention I myself am close to be 37.

The point is that as long as you have a passion about what you like, you are never too old for it. You might be more busy about other stuff, but you always will have sentiments about that thing you like. In fact wait for when you will have your kids and will want to show them what you were playing or watching when you were younger. It's priceless. (Well, until your own child will become better than you at your games ;) ).

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think most Digimon fans are adults at this point honestly. I feel like such a whippersnapper being only 22 compared to most people on this forum!

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To quote a Transformers toy reviewer on YouTube (whose name I can't remember off the top of my head);

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
That would be Emgo316, I've watched his stuff before. Bare in mind that most Transformers fans who grew up with Generation One when the series originally aired are likely older.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you have a job and/or a family? Do you not cause problems? Then what does anyone care what you do? Hey, I saw a pair of really nice old people, grandparent age, the husband collected trains and the wife collected some PEZ dispensers. They were really nice. So don't worry about age. Just be a good person and have fun with your hobby.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I run a forum about board and card games, and you barely (if at all) you will find someone younger than 30 years old on it. My youngest Moderator is 32 yo, and oldest 42 yo. All of them married with children. And the forum itself is 17 years old now. Not to mention I myself am close to be 37.

The point is that as long as you have a passion about what you like, you are never too old for it. You might be more busy about other stuff, but you always will have sentiments about that thing you like. In fact wait for when you will have your kids and will want to show them what you were playing or watching when you were younger. It's priceless. (Well, until your own child will become better than you at your games ;) ).
Well said reading all these comments make me feel a lot better. It's good to know there are a lot of other people out there older then me still interested in stuff like this. Lol I hope my kids surpass my gaming abilities it won't be hard ahaha. Your right I do get busy sometimes but I always make time for digimon, one piece,yugioh etc ill never stop loving them no matter how old i get.

Do you have a job and/or a family? Do you not cause problems? Then what does anyone care what you do? Hey, I saw a pair of really nice old people, grandparent age, the husband collected trains and the wife collected some PEZ dispensers. They were really nice. So don't worry about age. Just be a good person and have fun with your hobby.
Yeah I work but haven't got kids or anything. I would say I'm a pretty good guy. Thanks for the advice i love PEZ aswell lol.

I'm 28 and will be 29 this fall. I have a friend who's 30 and will be 31 this fall. Both of us are huge digimon fans. You're never too old. There are people in their 80-90's that grew up with Superman, Batman, and Mickey Mouse and still love and collect merchandise from those franchises. And I know a ton of older people in their 50+ that loves Snoopy and the Peanuts gang and still collect stuff from that. I know married men (and women, etc.) in their 30's and 40's that play Warhammer. I know married women (and men, etc.) in their 30's and 40's that collect Hello Kitty merchandise. You're never too old to like Digimon. Digimon will probably still be with us the moment we die.
Your right digimon will always be with us. It's a part of our lives. :)

Yeah you're never too old. And even if you feel you are, they aimed ReDigitze, Cyber Sleuth, Hacker's Memory, Next Order, Survive, and the Tri anime at adults - so the franchise has grown up with us.
Good point especially with the deaths that will happen in survive. It makes it more mature and tri was for older fans. Don't forget some parts in fusion aswell.

I can beat your age by 10 years. Never too old to geek.
Yeah your right I'm geek until I die lol.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No problem. I don't see why somethings are OK. Like you can dress up in sports gear and paint your face but if you dress up like a character in a thing, people say something. It's always been weird.

Flamon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know if it reflects more on who I am and where I go but I have noticed that as I edged closer to 30 talking about Digimon with others became....a bit weird?
Sure, between fans it's still totally fine and the discussion can be casual without seeming weird but what about when everyone else you know only watched it casually and perhaps got a reference joke or two on the Internet over the years moved on and are now watching more up to date titles and television shows while you are still remembering the adventures of in many cases a bunch of pre-teens from 20 years ago? This isn't like Ren and Stimpy or episodes of M*A*S*H (you get a cookie of you remember that).

TitaniumTori

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll be 31 this year & I grew up on digimon. Even now I feel a connection to certain characters like Kari, Gatomon, TK & Patamon.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know if it reflects more on who I am and where I go but I have noticed that as I edged closer to 30 talking about Digimon with others became....a bit weird?
Sure, between fans it's still totally fine and the discussion can be casual without seeming weird but what about when everyone else you know only watched it casually and perhaps got a reference joke or two on the Internet over the years moved on and are now watching more up to date titles and television shows while you are still remembering the adventures of in many cases a bunch of pre-teens from 20 years ago? This isn't like Ren and Stimpy or episodes of M*A*S*H (you get a cookie of you remember that).
Yeah it did get a bit weird but I don't care anymore. I'll talk about it but I only really talk to the people on the forum about it. I still always watch digimon and idc what people say even though no one says anything. I didn't watch ren and stimpy but I watch M*A*S*H i have the box set. Love it.
I'll be 31 this year & I grew up on digimon. Even now I feel a connection to certain characters like Kari, Gatomon, TK & Patamon.
Yeah I grew up with digimon aswell. I don't really feel a connection to any character because my personality is to different to all the characters. But I do have favourites which is beelzemon and impmon. I love other digimon but if i were to have a partner it would be Impmon/Beelzemon

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's really the same question with any hobby or fandom. The simple answer is that age has nothing to do with it - it's something that brings enjoyment. No one gets asked when they're too old to follow their favorite sports team, for instance, and these are also games kids play (and they have even crazier conventions, or so I hearā€¦ šŸ˜†). Oddly, much of that fan base technically may be less connected as many fans don't even play the sports recreationally. The social climate may be a bit different in the US than in Australia, but here we have a fairly healthy nerd and geek subculture that's becoming fairly prevalent. Digimon just tends to be a bit more obscure even in this culture, which is fine. It's sort of like how everyone seems to like Superman or Batman but often don't even know important heroes such as Doctor Fate. Also not Digimon, but there are a few senior citizens in my area who play PokĆ©mon Go (and I know some professors who do as well, for what that's worth).

But there also well may be a psychological component to your friends' reaction. As humans, we often draw attention to what we see as the flaws of others so that our own flaws get passed over. If your friends care so much about what you do in your spare time, it more likely suggests they have their own secret fandom or other obsession or even general insecurities. Definitely don't let their thoughts, or apparent thoughts, keep you from something you like, As long as it brings some form of enjoyment, you're not too old.

digigirl02

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was in high school when digimon first premiered and I am still a fan in my mid thirties. Granted, I am not as big of a fan as I used to be, but it will always hold a special place in my heart.

VanChizzle

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's really the same question with any hobby or fandom. The simple answer is that age has nothing to do with it - it's something that brings enjoyment. No one gets asked when they're too old to follow their favorite sports team, for instance, and these are also games kids play (and they have even crazier conventions, or so I hearā€¦ šŸ˜†). Oddly, much of that fan base technically may be less connected as many fans don't even play the sports recreationally. The social climate may be a bit different in the US than in Australia, but here we have a fairly healthy nerd and geek subculture that's becoming fairly prevalent. Digimon just tends to be a bit more obscure even in this culture, which is fine. It's sort of like how everyone seems to like Superman or Batman but often don't even know important heroes such as Doctor Fate. Also not Digimon, but there are a few senior citizens in my area who play PokĆ©mon Go (and I know some professors who do as well, for what that's worth).

But there also well may be a psychological component to your friends' reaction. As humans, we often draw attention to what we see as the flaws of others so that our own flaws get passed over. If your friends care so much about what you do in your spare time, it more likely suggests they have their own secret fandom or other obsession or even general insecurities. Definitely don't let their thoughts, or apparent thoughts, keep you from something you like, As long as it brings some form of enjoyment, you're not too old.
Great post. You're never too old to enjoy something.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks to everyone that replied I don't care what people think besides there are plenty of people older that love digimon and I'll love digimon until the day I die :)