How long is the memory of the device?

DigiTifa

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a Digital Monster 20th Anniversary and a Digital Monster X.

The DM20th battery is dead and I wanted to know what is the protocol to follow.

Right now the DM20th has a dead battery image.
The bigger question is: if I remove the battery, how long will my save game keep?

Knowing that I want to keep my save file, should I leave the battery in the device? Or will the acid start to spoil it?
I deduce that if the device is capable of displaying the image of a battery, it is because the battery has not yet fully depleted and I can leave it in the device until the image stops showing...

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You can remove the battery from DM20 or DMX and your save game should stick around basically forever, don't worry.

hindssm

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You can remove the battery from DM20 or DMX and your save game should stick around basically forever, don't worry.
Do you know, from a technical level, how that memory is maintained?

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a separate EEPROM chip visible on the PCB (while the main microcontroller is inside the black blob).

There have been reports of the Pen20 losing save data when you pull the battery or when it goes flat, and that happened to me with flat batteries on the Xros Loader. But that's not the data in the EEPROM decaying. Rather, the device is writing bad data to the EEPROM while the power is failing. On the Pen20, it's recommended to press the reset button before pulling the battery so it doesn't do that.

hindssm

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a separate EEPROM chip visible on the PCB (while the main microcontroller is inside the black blob).

There have been reports of the Pen20 losing save data when you pull the battery or when it goes flat, and that happened to me with flat batteries on the Xros Loader. But that's not the data in the EEPROM decaying. Rather, the device is writing bad data to the EEPROM while the power is failing. On the Pen20, it's recommended to press the reset button before pulling the battery so it doesn't do that.
Excellent! I didn't recognize the EEPROM on the device (I am used to older and larger boards). Thanks for the info!

DigiTifa

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On the Pen20, it's recommended to press the reset button before pulling the battery so it doesn't do that.
Oh! It is good to know this.
If one day the Pendulum 20th English version is released, I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks!

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If they release an English version, maybe they'll fix the problem.

Hydranoid413

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
at that point it might end up being a Pendulum 25th version :p